Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

Its totally hilarious to me how The Clipse are suddenly on the 'quality hip-hop' side of the equation.

I mean they are, but no one recognized when their best album (f those mixtapes) was actually out.

er, most hip hop fans did. i remember dozens and dozens of posts about it on various message boards. and that was before (or at least around the same time) pitchfork and everyone else jumped on it. clipse have always been regarded as being on the 'quality hip hop' side since grindin and the lord willin album - most people recognised them as two of the best rappers/one of the best groups of the past ten years.

as far as new hip hop, i really like the new count bass d album. not much that you havent heard from him before, but he does it so well.

Last edited:

Precious Cuts

Its totally hilarious to me how The Clipse are suddenly on the 'quality hip-hop' side of the equation.

I mean they are, but no one recognized when their best album (f those mixtapes) was actually out.

like gumdrops said, Lord Willin' wasn't slept on outside the pitchfork set. It was inescapably huge.. in north america anyway. didn't one of their videos introduce the infamous "trucker hat"?

anyways I agree with you on the got it 4 cheap mixtapes. mediocre and WAY overhyped by certain people. Somehow pitchfork et all jumped on it and baptized it as the token gangster rap tape for indie kids, replacing diplomatic immunity. at the height of the got it 4 cheap love-in one columnist basically said it was better than young Jeezy's album in a head to head comparison. he thought the clipse was more realistic, while in my opinion their schtick is an over the top caricature of depravity.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
like gumdrops said, Lord Willin' wasn't slept on outside the pitchfork set. It was inescapably huge.. in north america anyway. didn't one of their videos introduce the infamous "trucker hat"?

anyways I agree with you on the got it 4 cheap mixtapes. mediocre and WAY overhyped by certain people. Somehow pitchfork et all jumped on it and baptized it as the token gangster rap tape for indie kids, replacing diplomatic immunity. at the height of the got it 4 cheap love-in one columnist basically said it was better than young Jeezy's album in a head to head comparison. he thought the clipse was more realistic, while in my opinion their schtick is an over the top caricature of depravity.

Yeah but Clipse can rap like motherfuckers, and Jeezy wouldn't be able to rap if he had to give his mother a Christmas present.

mistersloane

^^^ jeezy can rap just fine i think.

Hullo? Can we show and tell here? 100 word essay please, compare and contrast

JEEZY

Wont stop till my whole team in thug mansion
And i sell like pac
Thats a thugs passion
And this the realest shit i ever wrote
And all eyes on me like a microscope
Young jeezy give em one more chance
They try to spit like you and get your whole advance
Like my main man pulla talk real slick
Look im ok but my watch sick
You dont gotta like a n***a
Just respect my mind
This is how im eatin now
So respect my grind
The way i put them words together
Reminds me about how i put them byrds together

CLIPSE

Uh, yea they call me Pusha, uh, Draper Inc., Star Trak
What you know about this pink on wrist
Je-sus flush like je-sus sick
Same color glow through the crucifix
Pa-vay pink like white girl clit
Might not cook if you ain't used to shit
But see me I'm used to rich
Livin' this two-door life coupes all white
The SL like a swiss army knife
Tuck away the roof shed some light
Fold it back out if you keeps it right
Hold the tech close day turn to nights
Cause niggaz hate to see you with phenom lights
Rims on gleam, techs on beam
Three times dope got hex on fiends
Look through the hood checks on lean
Pusha bounce weight like trampolines nigga

gumdrops

^^^ jeezy can rap just fine i think.

not even jeezys biggest defenders will say that he is a good rapper. he has charisma, a certain strange likeability, and hes an interesting character, etc etc but theres coke rappers who do it a million times better. hes quite a terrible rapper. if he had something interesting to say but not the technical ability, that would be fine, but he doesnt even have that.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Jeezy

Young Jeezy often claims he's not a rapper and disses emcees for being lyrical often on his mixtapes. Most of his fans love him for reppin' trappers (drug dealers) moreso than for his prowess on the mic. One.

Precious Cuts

theres coke rappers who do it a million times better. hes quite a terrible rapper. if he had something interesting to say but not the technical ability, that would be fine, but he doesnt even have that.

I don't think that theres anyone who does coke rap better. there may be other rappers who have more complex lyrics, but there's a reason he's the known as the dope boys' MC. he has something to say that you might not find interesting but a lot of people do: how to be successful in the dope game. his simple lyrics just get right to the point. he's good at coming up with one liners and simple phrases to sum up experiences that anyone who moves weight can relate to:
"If it's takin too long to lock up, bring it back/you were short anyway, so bring a stack"
also he's better than most rappers at coming up with choruses, which is probably the most important skill for a commercial rapper to have

Last edited:

mistersloane

I dunno man, I tried with Jeezy - even bought the CD - but he gets on my nerves. Which is a shame because I think he's honest in interviews and I hope his next CD isn't so mannered, cos he's got a great ear for picking a beat.
He should really listen to these two and try and pick up some tips. OHMIGOD! AZ & RAKIM ON THE FORMAT BEAT! YAAAAAAAAAH!
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.589/title.az-f-rakim-the-format-rmx

( and I know it's an old Rakim verse PD but I don't care )

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
jeezy is an incredibly interesting phenom.
he gets by on sheer force of personality alone.
he's a fascinating construct - the absolute apotheosis of rapper as commodity, as brand.
thug motivation sells him so well that you can't help but buy in.
that's why it's a great record.
i find this all quite awesome from a critical point of view.
and, yes we know, he can't spit, but he knows this too and doesn't give a fuck because he has this strangely captivating persona to work instead.
that's his triumph.
he is his own best piece of art.
he also uses great beats and that helps a lot.
it's not really fair to write clipse lyrics down and expect people to think they're pure poetry, either.
they're not.
what makes them revered is their exquisite sense of timing, the musicality of their flows.
they are astonishingly good at riding a beat and break words down and flip them in ways very few others can.

Last edited:

gumdrops

the thing is though that i cant hear all that fascinating (and it is fascinating) backstory and marketing marvel on the album. i just hear a hip hop mediocrity over great beats. id rather read about jeezy more than i would ever like to hear his album. someone at def jam should get him to start a blog or write his memoirs.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
New Nas and Pete Rock joints!

The new Hi Tek album "HiTeknology 2" is forthcoming. A song featuring Nas called "Music 4 Life" as well as a new Pete Rock joint featuring 1/2 of D Block, Styles P and Sheek Louch called "914" (the collective area code of Mount Vernon and Yonkers, NY). Both are available for listening here as well as some new Young Jeezy song called "I Love It" (I didn't bother to listen to it, though) and a new UTP song (that one either):

http://www.allhiphop.com/

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
How did Lupe do?

Hip Hop/rap album sales are in the toilet (Method Man, The Roots, OutKast, etc.) and here comes Lupe Fiasco, the Great Lyrical Hope...I pray he does well (given the heavy bootlegging that his project has gone through). His album is a damn classic already...besides if he moves around 200,000 that means that people will ACTUALLY STILL BUY QUALITY HIP HOP ALBUMS. I'm afraid that it will take for Nas and Jay Z's albums to drop before any hip hop artist moves any considerable units again...I bet Lupe opens at between 100,000-150,000 units....I hope he REALLY does 200,000-250,000....but I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT WILL HAPPEN. Go Lupe! One.

Here are the unofficial sales numbers for the week!

-- 8 LUPE FIASCO ATLANTIC/ATL G 85,959 --
LUPE FIASCO'S FOOD & LIQUOR

This is considered a flop if you factor in his year long buzz, his Fahrenheit 1:15 mixtape series and the excellent Lupe The Jedi and Touch The Sky mixtape tracks. The publicity and exposure that the videos for "Kick, Push" and "I Gotcha" got him (not to mention the fact he was the "Next Great Hope" and hip hop's newer poster child for creativity and lyricism). I do agree with many people that TOO MANY of his best songs never made the album (in THIS case, I believe that the first leaked version of Food & Liquor HURT his sales badly). Odder was the fact that Fergie only moved 150,000+ units and was in the #3 spot. Lupe will not reach Gold...Fergie will make Gold by her 3rd single, guaranteed. This has been an odd year, indeed. Pharrell hasn't even passed 300,000 units yet! Back to the cynicsm! LOL. Well, here's Lupe reaction to his own sales numbers 15 minutes ago from Okayplayer.com...he took the news a lot better than I did! :

FNF UP UP AND AWAY Member since Jun 26th 2005
235 posts
Date Tue Sep-26-06 09:58 PM

phew!...85,000!!!...we'll im happy...God Is Great!!!...thanx for the love OKP...finally put out an album...1 down...2 more to go...then its bye bye hip-hop well at least as a rapper...

Next Up...Gemini's currently untitled release thru 1st&15th/Asylum late 4th quarter & Risque's album currently untitled due late 1st quarter thru 1st&15th...and "Lupe Fiasco's Cool" coming soon Godwilling...

I'm taking a break from the internet...well at least the music side of it...catch ya'll over at Hypebeast.com....chuuuch!!!....FNF UP!!!

p.s. Reasonable Doubt did 34,000 its 1st week...learned that @ dinner the other night...

"A kung fu that is righteous will always prevail even in defeat." -Emperor Lu

That's one cool kid.

One.

Last edited:

Precious Cuts

the thing is though that i cant hear all that fascinating (and it is fascinating) backstory and marketing marvel on the album. i just hear a hip hop mediocrity over great beats. id rather read about jeezy more than i would ever like to hear his album. someone at def jam should get him to start a blog or write his memoirs.

fair enough.. the album by itself doesnt give much insight cause its more a collection of his mainstream & single material. I think that his reputation was more based on his gangsta grillz mixtapes and dvd. Trap or Die is a good one to check out. he's a lot more candid on it than on the album.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The Hip Hop Blogger Strikes Again!

Check out the new State Of Hip Hop Blog by Poisonous Dart here or on his MySpace page:

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=306018

Also check out his previous blogs (with punctuation) here:
"100 Signs That You're A 70's Or Early 80's Baby" is currently being featured on the front page of AllHipHop.com and was used by Sickamore of XXLmag.com
http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=295333

"Mommy, What's A Backpacker AKA What The Hell Is A Cannibal Ox?" is currently featured in the Reason section of AllHipHop.com's Ill Community forum
http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=302553

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
New Diddy!!

New Diddy track "Everything I Love" f/Nas & Cee Lo (Diddy verse ghostwritten by Nas) produced by Kanye West...excellent song. This is the second great Nas joint I've heard this week..too bad NEITHER of them are on his upcoming "Hip Hop Is Dead" LP...which has incidentally been pushed back to December by Def Jam (just like The Clipse's "Hell Hath No Fury"). What the hell is Def Jam doing? Anyways, here are links to the track:

http://rapidshare.de/files/34582205/...nd_Cee-Lo_.mp3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/utyql5

One.

mms

sometimes
I was really looking forward to the new Dr Octagon album.

But Ive been duped.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2006-09-27/music/pressplay.html

isn't that a crazy tale...

im realy loving the fedarations album.
i have the feeling that if circumstances were different this could have been a big hit all around, but you can't get it in the uk easily etc..
rick rocks music is ace and the playful quality of the tracks is wicked too, any gangsterness, is undermined by the tough and fuck but also cheerfully psychedelic production.

Status
Not open for further replies.