Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
No way for you to know this...

this is the hottest hip hop single of the year:

This song has caused outrage throughout the rap world...they think the music has reached a level of buffoonery that has to stop. It's the talk of many of the blogs and people are starting to see that the difference between satire and what's actually trooted out there as ACTUAL music is blurring a little too much. One.

gumdrops

of course i know its satire lol

i posted it up to see if people who didnt know would like/defend it (actually im not totally sure that mz peaches doesnt have a deal). i could see it being a hit though. actually i wish it was a hit. it would be a great hoax if it made it in the top 10.

hint

party record with a siren
This song has caused outrage throughout the rap world...they think the music has reached a level of buffoonery that has to stop. It's the talk of many of the blogs and people are starting to see that the difference between satire and what's actually trooted out there as ACTUAL music is blurring a little too much. One.

Of course, the fact that the video is full of kids, chanting along to the chorus, doesn't quite get the message across that this song might not be aimed at grown up "outraged" hip hop fans.

Kids are pretty fond of buffoonery.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
isn't that a crazy tale...

im realy loving the fedarations album.
i have the feeling that if circumstances were different this could have been a big hit all around, but you can't get it in the uk easily etc..
rick rocks music is ace and the playful quality of the tracks is wicked too, any gangsterness, is undermined by the tough and fuck but also cheerfully psychedelic production.

it's a cracking record. "go dumb" is one of the biggest, bass-out, throw-your-shit up club tracks ever, i think. it's pretty superb. that, mistah F.A.B's "new oakland", mac dre's "fellin' myself" and the team's "hyphy juice" are probably my favourite bay area joints.

mms

sometimes
it's a cracking record. "go dumb" is one of the biggest, bass-out, throw-your-shit up club tracks ever, i think. it's pretty superb. that, mistah F.A.B's "new oakland", mac dre's "fellin' myself" and the team's "hyphy juice" are probably my favourite bay area joints.

for me it's got the same wasted knockabout quality of something like the pharcyde's first album, which everyone loved, even non hip hoppers. it's sort of pychedelic and not 100% hardcore, quite funny with good humour, it sounds like they are having fun making it, which is what hip hop like this should sound like i think.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Yeah that's the main important ingredient Hyphy is bringing back.

FUN.

Any music that's all about going dumb gets my seal of approval.

And that fried chicken song is crazy. It seems quite likely that it could be a parody designed to force this kind of discussion.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Super Hyphy!

Yeah that's the main important ingredient Hyphy is bringing back.

FUN.

Any music that's all about going dumb gets my seal of approval.

And that fried chicken song is crazy. It seems quite likely that it could be a parody designed to force this kind of discussion.

Hyphy is but a GENRE in the wide diaspora that is Rap/Hip Hop culture and music...it is also birthed by and nurtured in the BAY AREA mostly...the full culture doesn't fit well in many places outside of California (even though the music might), so I don't see it SAVING anything like you professed in the Grime thread (when you were talking to Logan)...it's great news that Mista F.A.B. signed a label deal with Atlantic Records, though. He worked his ass off for it and he deserves it. One.

budub

la di da
fun and giggin and fatburger

im still looking for that Slurp it Slaps mixtape by The Ghetto Echo

anyone else on slsk here?

Sef

Wild Horses
Hyphy is like the funky house of hip-hop. The rhymes are boring and the beats don't make up for them. Give me Saigon over this shit every time.

I reckon it's something that appeals to people in their late twenties and above; it just doesn't have enough edge for me.

Last edited:

shudder

Hyphy is like the funky house of hip-hop. The rhymes are boring and the beats don't make up for them. Give me Saigon over this shit every time.

I reckon it's something that appeals to people in their late twenties and above; it just doesn't have enough edge for me.

them's... fighting words!

Sef

Wild Horses
Baltimore does it better. Hyphy is so tediously one-note. I d/l the Mistah F.A.B. mixtape and the beats aren't engaging in any way; hone in on the rhymes and they're just... nothing. They're presented so stodgily - each track blends into the next. Bored the fuck out of me. Heard some other bits-and-bobs and they were dire as well. Heard some hyphy in some crappy indie club and it just gave me a headache in the way that listening to Christmas jingles in a shopping centre gives me a headache.

Precious Cuts

relative to baltimore house?
everything you say about hyphy is more true of baltimore house:
tedious, not very creative, each track blends into the next, jocked by the 25+ fader/turntablelab set.

Sef

Wild Horses
Baltimore hip-hop. I'm not mad-keen on either. Baltimore throw up some good beats, at least. Anyone feel free to sendspace me some 'good' hyphy.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I know what Hyphy as a movement is Poison, where it comes from, etc. And the idea that it couldn't affect/infect the rest of hiphop I don't agree with. Look what Crunk did to the game. I know you don't think that was a good thing, but you can't deny that it happened.

I don't actually expect people to start ghost-riding their whips and wearing stunner shades in NY (though some probably are). What I mean is, by setting a vibe that is fun, fresh sounding, playful and club-friendly they might inspire other artists and regions to bring those ideas into their own sounds in order to remain competitive or stylistically current. What are the alternatives? Saigon is great to listen to in the car but what club tunes does he have? I don't want to listen only to serious, lyrical, edgy music all the time, though I do enjoy that stuff.

My favorite Hyphy tune so far is Kinsmoke - Do The On One and favorite album is E-40 - Ghetto Report Card, if you're wondering where I'm drawing my ideas from. A big part of this is Rick Rock's beats. I do not claim any encyclopedic or comprehensive knowledge of this genre, only my own reaction to it's vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.