Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

i finally heard rick ross and to my surprise, hes actually pretty good. i was told he was like jeezy as a rapper so i was expecting some sort of xerox of jeezy but hes actually a good rapper. not saying anything new but i think hes better than a lot of new guys who have been hyped.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
i finally heard rick ross and to my surprise, hes actually pretty good. i was told he was like jeezy as a rapper so i was expecting some sort of xerox of jeezy but hes actually a good rapper. not saying anything new but i think hes better than a lot of new guys who have been hyped.

how can you complain about something you've never heard!!!??!?!????!!!

gumdrops

well...... as far as i remember. i just asked if there was anyone who genuinely liked him and commented on the excellence of his facial hair. i dont think ive passed judgement on him until now.

has anyone heard the new diddy song? he says its good to be back and i agree.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i dont know if the diddy song is on MTV or not. i dont have cable either. i like the new shadow sound. im more dissapointed he didnt do a whole hyphy album or didnt innovate his rock songs on the album as much as he did the hip hop ones.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
New Hip Hop Update!

Top 10 Underground Hip Hop Songs As of July 27th, 2006:

1. I Gotcha- Lupe Fiasco
2. What I Feel- K Salaam f/Talib Kweli
3. Won't Do- J Dilla
4. The Juggernaut- Killer Mike
5. Step Off- Little Brother
6. Fly Shawty Penelope- Raekwon
7. Just A Matter Of Time- Saigon
8. Street Corner- Masta f/Inspectah Deck & GZA
9. Monkey Shit- M.O.P. f/Busta Rhymes
10. Long Time- The Roots f/Peedi Crakk

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Not really....

mms said:
it's really good - really glad hes not putting out any of that big trousered 96 shit and moved into proper hip hop.

He just wanted to rep the Bay...this isn't representative of the work he normally does...nor does it mean he's switching to doing "proper hip hop" from here on. Dj Shadow is a beatmaker.....period. One.

gumdrops

after sitting with the shadow LP a bit more, i think the beats for the hyphy MCs and e40 are seriously fucking amazing but the actual rapping isnt as good as the production IMO. not sure why.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
after sitting with the shadow LP a bit more, i think the beats for the hyphy MCs and e40 are seriously fucking amazing but the actual rapping isnt as good as the production IMO. not sure why.

i like this record a lot. it's shadow doing something that he really wanted to and as such it's his realest record yet. i said as much in my uncut review. however, the hyphy beats don't even come close to other bay area producers like rick rock, traxamillion, droop-e et al. they're streets ahead of what shadow's doing here. even the droop-e remix of three freaks is better than shadow's original. that's not to do the album down at all, it's just to say that shadow isn't breaking new ground here for anyone but himself and the local guys who inspired him to do this still have the edge. also, hyphy isn't the music for you if you're looking for hard-hitting social commentary or serious flows. it's straight-up, gutter party shit, not a new yorker essay.

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah, thats exactly why i like snap, bounce, get buck, crunk etc etc. the hard hitting social commentary and political gravitas. gutter party shit can still have good flows - its what rappers are meant to do after all - FLOW. e40 is still great, not so sure about nump or even keak to be honest. maybe they need to grow on me.

mms

sometimes
Poisonous Dart said:
He just wanted to rep the Bay...this isn't representative of the work he normally does...nor does it mean he's switching to doing "proper hip hop" from here on. Dj Shadow is a beatmaker.....period. One.

Well he's publically stated he wanted to bury the memory of entroducing and do some more real hip hop.
i personally prefer the second album to the first though.

gumdrops

yeah, she is.

agreed that private press has aged much much better than entroducing. its pretty underrated actually

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
what's her track with him like, i'm really curious as i'm a big fan of both her and shadow but it seems like such an unlikely pairing

stelfox

Beast of Burden
nump is pretty rubbish. he's had one good tune ever. keak is great, tho.
and, yeah, christina carter in on one track. it's really nice.

gumdrops

what does everyone think of the non rap tracks on this? at first i thought the kasabian one (cant believe hes working with them) was like sub josh homme or something but now it reminds me of unkle, and despite it having kasabian on it, i quite like it. theres two that sounded like bad coldplay initially but even those i quite like now as well against my better judgement. all in all though, it would have been cool i think if shadow had done some electronic rock type tracks as well i think to go with the digital hyphy beats.

Status
Not open for further replies.