Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

if you want some intros to crunk and hyphy, i would recommend lil jon's throw your hood up and kings of crunk albums. for hyphy, check out e-40's my ghetto report card or the federations album. im not saying theyre the be and end all of the genre, but if you try and grab a load of mixtapes, youre bound to have to wade through a lot of dross along the way. those albums are probably good starting points.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
if you want some intros to crunk and hyphy, i would recommend lil jon's throw your hood up and kings of crunk albums. for hyphy, check out e-40's my ghetto report card or the federations album. im not saying theyre the be and end all of the genre, but if you try and grab a load of mixtapes, youre bound to have to wade through a lot of dross along the way. those albums are probably good starting points.

as far as hyphy is concerned i second my ghetto report card, but 2003's breakin' news is a lot better because it has the track northern califoolya on it, which is 40 at his best with just about everyone in the bay guesting.

one of the best distillations of the genre is ross hogg's slump & grind series of mixtapes, i think there are 2 now, (which i now see marcus has beaten me to mentioning) and all of the mac dre thizz nation mixtapes.

also you really need a copy of mac dre's ronald dregan presents dreganomics, if only for the track fellin' (sic) myself, which is fantastic.

actually, martin, i'd happily compile you a 20-or-so track hyphy sampler but you'd have to meet me to pick it up because, as you know, i never get round to putting these things in the post.

hint

party record with a siren
I also recommend the Slump and Grind mixes.

Ross Hogg sold me Vols. 1 + 2 direct for $24... but I'm not sure if he'll still have vol. 1 in stock now. He's really on the ball though, so get in touch.

Juno had Vol. 2 recently, for about £7.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
stelfox said:
actually, martin, i'd happily compile you a 20-or-so track hyphy sampler but you'd have to meet me to pick it up because, as you know, i never get round to putting these things in the post.

shall put it in the queue behind the desi sampler and your end of year round up post? ;)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
that's what i mean, the only way i can promise you'll get it is if we do it face to face. as you already know, i'm bullshit at posting stuff and need strict deadlines to get anything done!

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Blackdown said:
could someone give me some access points for buying US hip hop inc crunk and hyphy. what is their 'rhythm division' equivalent?

If you want hyphy on vinyl:
http://bsiderecordshop.com/oscommerce/home.php

Crunk, snap, hyphy and other shizzle
http://www.turntablelab.com/

These stores are in the US so I don't know if they would work for you.

As far as Hyphy goes the latest stuff by Mister F.A.B. is great.
This track by Nump called I got Grapes is nice.
Clyde Carson is great..Hmm, all the stuff produced by E-A-SKI.

I could go on for ever I have lived in the OAKLAND/SJ/SF BAy for 18 + years now so..

Anyway some people/djs comps to look for-
The Slappin in the Trunk Comp.
Dj Backside
Dj Styles
The Oakland Faders

etc...

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Ok here's the full listing of tracks i've just burned up for a mate who was asking smiliar questions...

1) N.E.W. Oakland - Mistah F.A.B.
2) Tell Me When To Go - E40 feat Keak Da Sneak
3) Hyphy Juice - The Team
4) Take That - Frontline
5) Fellin Myself - Mac Dre
6) Got Ta Get It - Balance feat San Quinn & Mistah F.A.B
7) Hell Yeah - San Quinn feat E-A-Ski
8) Superhyphy - Keak Da Sneak
9) White T-Shirts, Blue Jeans & Nikes - Keak Da Sneak feat E40
10) Da Dummy - E-40
11) Fuck Yo Couch - Bailey
12) Hyphy - The Federation
13) Thizzle Dance - Mac Dre
14) Northern Califoolya - E40 feat B-Legit, San Quinn, Messy Marv, E-A-Ski, Keak Da Sneak & James "Stomp Down” Bailey
15) Got Grapes - Nump
16) Four Freaks - DJ Shadow, Turf Talk, Mistah F.A.B & Droop-E
17) Go Dumb - J Valentine feat. Bailey
18) 18 Dummy - The Federation

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
stelfox said:
Ok here's the full listing of tracks i've just burned up for a mate who was asking smiliar questions...

1) N.E.W. Oakland - Mistah F.A.B.
2) Tell Me When To Go - E40 feat Keak Da Sneak
3) Hyphy Juice - The Team
4) Take That - Frontline
5) Mac Dre - Fellin Myself
6) Got Ta Get It - Balance feat San Quinn & Mistah F.A.B
7) Hell Yeah - San Quinn feat E-A-Ski
8) Superhyphy - Keak Da Sneak
9) White T-Shirts, Blue Jeans & Nikes - Keak Da Sneak feat E40
10) Da Dummy - E-40
11) Fuck Yo Couch - Bailey
12) Hyphy - The Federation
13) Thizzle Dance - Mac Dre
14) Northern Califoolya - E40 feat B-Legit, San Quinn, Messy Marv, E-A-Ski, Keak Da Sneak & James "Stomp Down” Bailey
15) Got Grapes - Nump
16) Four Freaks - DJ Shadow, Turf Talk, Mistah F.A.B & Droop-E
17) Go Dumb - J Valentine feat. Bailey
18) 18 Dummy - The Federation

That 'Fuck Yo Couch' track really made me laugh. love that sketch.

petergunn

plywood violin
gumdrops said:
if you want some intros to crunk i would recommend lil jon's throw your hood up

YES.

the "put your hood up" LP is essentially the crunk template. no one has done it better than tracks like "uhhh ohh" or "bia bia"...

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
I'd also recommend people have a peep of the "Before There Was Crunk" comp...
does what it says on the tin - shows off the electronic/sex-mad hip hop coming out
of the South (especially Miami) in the early 90s.

Plenty of similar Booty Bass comps made at the time, but harder to come by these days. ;)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Ewwww....

I wouldn't really classify much of the stuff you guys have been posting about lately "Hip Hop"...."Rap"...maybe. "Hip Hop"? Naaah. The only places that Hip Hop and Hyphy deserve to be near each other is in an urban dictionary....Of course, that's just how I feel PERSONALLY and I'm not downing the music or anyone who enjoys it...it's just how I feel individually. Here's a new joint from Method Man f/Raekwon and RZA off of the forthcoming "4.21...The Day After" LP on Def Jam called "Presidential MC"

http://www.method-man.com/method-jukebox/audiomp3/presidential_mc.mp3

One.

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
that new wu is not bad. liking the slow talk, and the punchlines are all right. need to check it on real speakers though.

whats up with those Vatican tapes...Rae picked some weak tracks. mixtapes mades for hyping future albums should just be raps over throwback beats...it always works.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

adruu said:
that new wu is not bad. liking the slow talk, and the punchlines are all right. need to check it on real speakers though.

whats up with those Vatican tapes...Rae picked some weak tracks. mixtapes mades for hyping future albums should just be raps over throwback beats...it always works.

The purpose of these mixtapes is to appease the people that thought every album since "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..." has been a dissapointment due to him not returning to that original/formula/chamber...his last album got close bu no cigar...the tracks that he put on the last two mixtapes showed the die hard Wu heads that YES, that fire is back! The meaning of "Only Built 4..." was that it was ONLY for the die hard fans that want that uncut raw and are DYING to purchase it...spitting bars over old beats (no matter how dope) would have the adverse effect on the buying public that wants that sound back....hence the tracks like "Blue Angels (Flawless Crowns)", "Treasurers", "Baggage Handlers", "Fly Shawty Penelope", "State Of Grace", "Kids That Rich", "Rover Sport" and "Big Spender". If you think these joints were weak then....you ain't built for this, fam.

As for new hip hop...New Clipse f/Rosco P. Coldchain "Chinese New Year"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ak2n1l

Outkast f/Lil Wayne & Snoop Dogg "Hollywood Divorce"

http://www.cadenceweaponmusic.com/music/Outkast_-_Hollywood_Divorce.mp3

Outkast "The Train"

http://www.cadenceweaponmusic.com/music/Outkast_-_The_Train.mp3

One.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Had a listen to J Dilla's 'The Shining' today - not sure if it's out elsewhere, but is in all the shops in Tokyo already. Sounds bloody good, really. Pretty fucking mad in places, particularly the really tuneless opening track with Busta going nuts, and really nice and sunny in other spots. The track with D'Angelo is predictably great and Common seemed to hold his end up (on the same tune)...

Will pick it up when I have some cash.

Like the Dabrye album has some bits with lots of echoing 70s synths - shades of 'Oxygene' or even 'Fly Like An Eagle' - mixed with stupidly heavy beats. Had me laughing out loud at the listening post. :D

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
It's out in the States August 22nd!

michael said:
Had a listen to J Dilla's 'The Shining' today - not sure if it's out elsewhere, but is in all the shops in Tokyo already. Sounds bloody good, really. Pretty fucking mad in places, particularly the really tuneless opening track with Busta going nuts, and really nice and sunny in other spots. The track with D'Angelo is predictably great and Common seemed to hold his end up (on the same tune)...

Will pick it up when I have some cash.

Like the Dabrye album has some bits with lots of echoing 70s synths - shades of 'Oxygene' or even 'Fly Like An Eagle' - mixed with stupidly heavy beats. Had me laughing out loud at the listening post. :D

I've had the advance for close to a month now and I can't stop playing "Love" f/Pharoahe Monch, "Baby" f/Oh No & Guilty Simpson, and "Won't Do" by J Dilla himself...the album is fire from beginning to end...do not sleep on this...I mean, those of you that actually love hip hop and don't just puruse through it like a semi interesting magazine at the barber's shop/doctor's office waiting room. One.

mms

sometimes
Poisonous Dart said:
I mean, those of you that actually love hip hop and don't just puruse through it like a semi interesting magazine at the barber's shop/doctor's office waiting room. One.

but don't you think on a hip hop breaking news, gossip thread on a board who is clearly very passionate about music this is actually very bloody patronising?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Not really....

mms said:
but don't you think on a hip hop breaking news, gossip thread on a board who is clearly very passionate about music this is actually very bloody patronising?

Think of it from MY point of view for a second...hip hop is a living, breathing culture and new songs, verses or events/developments happen DAILY....it can be a week before someone on Dissensus will post ANYTHING rap related in this thread to the effect of "That new Rick Ross/Lil' Wayne/Young Joc/E-40/Bun B is quite good"...That makes my eyes roll to back of my head. I fully understand that this isn't a Hip Hop board by ANY stretch of the imagination but to someone who lives and breathes hip hop it's odd to see that...it irks me that the Grime thread is the same way. I can imagine how Logan feels considering there were CONSTANT posts in that thread until about 6 months ago when the hipsters suddenly declared Grime was dead and went onto Funky House, etc...how corny that they think there's a "grime drought" when I'm hearing new Grime/Garage joints with the same frequency as before. One.

mms

sometimes
Poisonous Dart said:
I can imagine how Logan feels considering there were CONSTANT posts in that thread until about 6 months ago when the hipsters suddenly declared Grime was dead and went onto Funky House, etc...how corny that they think there's a "grime drought" when I'm hearing new Grime/Garage joints with the same frequency as before. One.

this never happened and the 'what happened to grime '? thread was there because people have been following grime since day one on this board, with an enormous amount of dedication and passion, and honestly it's not on top of it the way it was, regardless of whether there are bits about. that thread is still massivley popular and no one here is really into funky house.
Also so what if this thread is answered infrequently there are many other hiphop threads and boards, it's august, people have jobs/families/holidays .

i understand that you are on the ball about hip hop, also you have the benefit of being in the U.S., but please don't come and add these sorts of remarks to your statements as they just undermine what are very welcome views.

hint

party record with a siren
Poisonous Dart said:
Think of it from MY point of view for a second...hip hop is a living, breathing culture and new songs, verses or events/developments happen DAILY....it can be a week before someone on Dissensus will post ANYTHING rap related in this thread to the effect of "That new Rick Ross/Lil' Wayne/Young Joc/E-40/Bun B is quite good"...That makes my eyes roll to back of my head. I fully understand that this isn't a Hip Hop board by ANY stretch of the imagination but to someone who lives and breathes hip hop it's odd to see that....

You shouldn't assume that people aren't keeping track in the same way that you are.

The issue here is where different people set the threshold at which they consider a song, verse or event to be remarkable. When you get a board such as this one, where people check for many different styles of music each and every day, it takes a little more than a bit of filler from Method Man (for example) to really make a mark.

As you say - this isn't a Hip Hop board so you're not going to see a running commentary centred on what is, after all, a very fast moving scene. That's best left to the blogs, Spine Magazine, XXL, Hip Hop Game, The Smoking Section, Block-Party, TJ's DJs... the list goes on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.