Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Do you think there is a deliberate ploy of not promoting authentic american muslim rappers to the mainstream given that the US is currently waging fundamental christian idealogical warfare against fundamental muslim fanatics behind which lies the beast of rampant consumerism and standardising amercan based economic globalisation techniques which have shown to be immoral unethical and un implementationable ?

Perhaps it's best to write about skating and leave the real kicking and pushing to ? Well, to who really ? Can someone put me onto the good stuff ?
If you're looking for "conscious" English-speaking Muslim rappers you might want to check out Outlandish, a Danish trio which I'm sure quite a few on this board have heard of before. Denmark is part of "The Coalition of the Willing®", and anti-Muslim sentiments and conceptions are unfortunately rather common; in this climate Outlandish are often brought forward as a counter-example to the, in Denmark, stereotypical image of Muslim men as aggresive bigots filled with zealous hatred toward the depraved Western culture.

I'm not a particular fan, they're far to schmalzy for my liking, but if you're into "conscious" rap you could do far worse than checking them out.

Here are two well-known songs of theirs, Aïcha is a cover of the popular Cheb Khaled tune:

Outlandish - Guantanamo

Outlandish - Aïcha

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
When ghostwriting goes wrong....

Pharoahe Monch, legendary underground emcee has ghostwritten 3 tracks for Diddy's upcoming "Press Play" project dropping October 17th (The Clipse's "Hell Hath No Fury" drops on Halloween!)...this song, written by Monch for Diddy is called "The Future"...Diddy rhymes EXACTLY like Monch does...pretty much killing the track for anyone except for those who aren't familiar with Phoaroahe's delivery/rhyme scheme/style...Well, here it is:

http://www.ohword.com/files/Diddy- The Future.mp3

One.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Pharoahe Monch, legendary underground emcee has ghostwritten 3 tracks for Diddy's upcoming "Press Play" project dropping October 17th (The Clipse's "Hell Hath No Fury" drops on Halloween!)...this song, written by Monch for Diddy is called "The Future"...Diddy rhymes EXACTLY like Monch does...pretty much killing the track for anyone except for those who aren't familiar with Phoaroahe's delivery/rhyme scheme/style...Well, here it is:

One.

That beat is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

gumdrops

i like that get off track by diddy but to me, it just sounds ridiculous with diddy replicating monchs flow! kinda funny though. when i heard monch was going to be writing for diddy i didnt think he would actually use his normal flow but he has. personally, i like old (dare i say classic?) diddy when he rapped more simply.

mistersloane

i like that get off track by diddy but to me, it just sounds ridiculous with diddy replicating monchs flow! kinda funny though. when i heard monch was going to be writing for diddy i didnt think he would actually use his normal flow but he has. personally, i like old (dare i say classic?) diddy when he rapped more simply.

I like it when vocalists get new voices - and he chose well with Monch, gettin his grown man on. I'm impressed.

mistersloane

diddy should get keak da sneak to write for him. maybe e 40 as well. lil jon too.

He's going for that preacher sound isn't he? Preacher rather than west coast poet vibe. I like the whole concept, the inauthenticity of it, he's putting his money where his mouth is lol.

gumdrops

well at least he says some occasionally interesting/weird things, id rather hear that coming out of diddys mouth than monchs macabre lyrics which are harder to take seriously when diddys doing it. whoever ghost-wrote for diddy on songs like all about the benjamins (the lox?) and all around the world did a better job IMO, similar to how dr dre sounded more natural/comfortable/fluent when snoop and the doc wrote for him rather than eminem or jay-z. speaking of monch, his new album is pretty boring - a lot of 'soulful' beats with lots of sung hooks that seem to drown out the verses. could be anyones album really, anyone could fill in the time between the hooks, its quite anonymous.

i got the pimp c album, finally - it seems alright, slightly dissapointing that theres so many guests on it though. i hoped it would be more of a pimp c album rather than another generic 'all star' affair. need to give it some more time though.

Last edited:

mistersloane

well at least he says some occasionally interesting/weird things, id rather hear that coming out of diddys mouth than monchs macabre lyrics which i find hard to take seriously when diddys doing it. whoever ghost wrote for diddy on songs like all about the benjamins (the lox?) and all around the world did a better job IMO. .

Lox and Nas I think. Do ghostwriters get royalties from the work as well? What the money deal there?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
pimpalation feels like a mixtape rather than a proper album.
came to this conclusion when doing wire review the other day.
did you get the 2-disc set?
watts absolutely kills it with the swishahouse mix disc, tho.
trae album is a lot better, imho, but i'm still hoping that the new ugk album will be pure goodness as bun and pimp still sound great together.
the one record that's been killing me lately that no one else has mentioned is woodwork by da backwudz.
it's a great, great album - totally different, full of content, wicked beats.
in fact, it should please just about everyone, no matter what perspective they approach hip-hop from.

gumdrops

pimpalation feels like a mixtape rather than a proper album.
came to this conclusion when doing wire review the other day.
did you get the 2-disc set?
watts absolutely kills it with the swishahouse mix disc, tho.
trae album is a lot better, imho, but i'm still hoping that the new ugk album will be pure goodness as bun and pimp still sound great together.
the one record that's been killing me lately that no one else has mentioned is woodwork by da backwudz.
it's a great, great album - totally different, full of content, wicked beats.
in fact, it should please just about everyone, no matter what perspective they approach hip-hop from.

got the trae album too - i like that more so far, that still has a few too many guests but at least it seemed like it wasnt contrived. its quite singular, which i liked.

im a huge ugk fan but im not holding out too much hope for their new album. played big pimpin last night after hearing the pimp c album and the ferocity they rap with on that song compared to their new stuff made it pretty clear that they both seem to be on virtual auto pilot these days. ill investigate backwudz. not heard the C&S version of pimpalation yet but have you heard the C&S version of lil jons crunk juice album (also by watts)? its maybe the best C&S album ive heard (apart from maybe the david banner mississipi album which i actually like more than the normal album). lil jon tends to sound even better/more monstrous/pummelling slowed down...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, i have heard the crunk juice - own it actually. it's good, but not technically as interesting as what watts has done on pimpalation.
pimp c doesn't sound that odd slowed because he has such a high-pitched nasal tone anyway, but the way watts fucks with the channels, overlays and makes the sound swirl on certain sections of this edit is quite special. it's genuinely further athan anyone's gone with this stuff before.
the only things i don't like about watts are that he doesn't slow stuff down quite enough and the sound is a bit too clean sometimes. on the whole i prefer S&C mixes by OG Ron C as they still have a real murky, grubby quality to the whole edit, not just the voices, that sort of tape-rot, degraded sound that you get on the original screw tapes.
if you can, get hold of chopped not slopped, all his S&C versions of rapid ric's whut it dew series and fuck action 40 (there's four discs of this) and 41 (just for the mariah and faith evans tracks)

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped

One.

I'm real excited about this album. Best Diddy release since No Way Out? I would love it to be.

Biggie wrote a bunch of Puffy's shit, obviously.

He ordered cheese eggs and grits, I had the swordfish

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Lox and Nas I think. Do ghostwriters get royalties from the work as well? What the money deal there?

I'm pretty sure that if someone wrote the lyrics entirely themselves, and the performer (in this case Puff Daddy) didn't make the music either, then he would recieve NO royalties from his publishing deal.

If they collaborated on the music, then joint-authorship would occur, meaning the money would be split, and in the case of radio play, neighbouring rights would come into play, so the money from that would also be split.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
PS: Puff Daddy is the black Tom Cruise. I have had this suspicion for a while, but that video of him dancing on his myspace page confirms it.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Anyone here heard Mistah F.A.B's Recess mixtape.
It's great.
Really loving "I Don't Know", which is aptly titled because I have a massive mental block on what beat it's on. Does anyone know this? I can YSI the track later.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The question remains....

There is nothing that pisses off hip hoppers more than some idiot saying (or writing) that "Hip Hop Is Dead" or "Hip Hop Died" because we know that's garbage...It apparently angered legendary lyricist and ghostwriter Skillz (of the Supafriendz and Okayplayer fame) enough to make this song addressing that same issue.

Skillz "Hip Hop Died"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tzihxp

One.

mistersloane

There is nothing that pisses off hip hoppers more than some idiot saying (or writing) that "Hip Hop Is Dead" or "Hip Hop Died" because we know that's garbage...It apparently angered legendary lyricist and ghostwriter Skillz (of the Supafriendz and Okayplayer fame) enough to make this song addressing that same issue.

Skillz "Hip Hop Died"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tzihxp

One.
I thought 'Hip Hop Is Dead' was the mooted name for Nas' Def Jam release, no? Mebbe that was a rumour.

Oh no idea what that beat is either Stelfox, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.