what is funky house?

Guybrush

Dittohead
the biggest FH tune this year here in east london is the dennis ferrer remix of "Cure and the Cause" by Fish go Deep (what a great track!).

I'm listening to this right now and I'm starting to like it (it passed me by upon its initial release). It's remarkably low-key and melancholic for a funky house hit isn't it?

swears

preppy-kei
I just downloaded this off Soulseek (don't worry I've deleted it now, copyright fans)
and it's absolute shite. It sounds like a Danni Minogue song from 1998, like when pop singers used to try "going dance", the beat at the start sounds like Groovejet.
Very strong feeling from this record of "Business as Usual".

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I think Logan was closest when he said it is more a scene than it is a sound right now. Like UK garage in the early days or Disco, it's not so much definied by the music as it is the people, the places etc.

One of the things I really like about it is one person's idea of funky house is too hard for someone else, or too soulful for another - but those Houseexy comps are a pretty good indication of what the popular tunes are.

the main problem I have with 99%

of this music is that....its just so dead and done....though I guess there's nothing wrong with that but still I'll be listening to some of this stuff and its like.....where can it go? I don't hear any room for progression

at least with grime/nukg or even broken beat there's jus SO MUCH room for scope (except for the half step hip-hop type rut stuff)

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Where was the room for progression in late ukg? You couldn't imagine grime before it appeared so why assume theres not room for movement now? Not that I think there is...

borderpolice

I'm listening to this right now and I'm starting to like it (it passed me by upon its initial release). It's remarkably low-key and melancholic for a funky house hit isn't it?

yes, and its style of singing is similarly melancholic to cassie's "Me & u" another of my favourites this year, also caned in the clubs round'ere!

Tim F

The Fish Go Deep track is excellent! If this is what former grime-heads mean by funky house then I have a lot more hope that this development will be positive.

The track reminds me a lot of Treading New Territories' "Easy Lovin' You", an unjustly overlooked 2-step classic.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
agreed. that fish go deep tune is fantastic, but as a scene i don't hold a great deal of hope for this stuff at all. i'd actually rather go to coop or something (and occasionally do).

borderpolice

agreed. that fish go deep tune is fantastic, but as a scene i don't hold a great deal of hope for this stuff at all. i'd actually rather go to coop or something (and occasionally do).

i agree with you, this scene is lacking direction. and i think the main players know this. that's one of the reasons why you start seeing broken beat rooms at funky house events. i also feel that some big names in ukGarage/2step are trying to get back. i really wonder where it will go. i can't detect anything that is replacing the existing house/RnB/HH/dancehall consensus in this scene. but i guess that has been apparent for a while.

Last edited:

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The Fish Go Deep track is excellent! If this is what former grime-heads mean by funky house then I have a lot more hope that this development will be positive.

The track reminds me a lot of Treading New Territories' "Easy Lovin' You", an unjustly overlooked 2-step classic.

I can fully understand why ''Cure and the Cause'' is a big club tune.It has a definite echo
of all those Soca infused Two Step Garage tunes about it.If a Grime MC could vocal a track like that they could possibly replicate the success of Ms Dynamaite's ''Booo!'' or Pay As You Go's ''Champayne Dance''.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I can fully understand why ''Cure and the Cause'' is a big club tune.It has a definite echo
of all those Soca infused Two Step Garage tunes about it.If a Grime MC could vocal a track like that they could possibly replicate the success of Ms Dynamaite's ''Booo!'' or Pay As You Go's ''Champayne Dance''.

Great.

Just what every funky house fan has been screaming out for.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
interesting suggestion, though i find it hard to hear the soca influence on Cure&Cause, or indeed in 2 step. would you be able to be more specific?

there were a whole series of 2step and early dubstep tunes (horsepower's classic delux springs to mind) that instead of the classic straight kick-snare-kick-snare 2step beat had a soca influenced beat of kick-kick-snare-kick-kick-snare where the snares are pushed back half a beat and the second and fourth kicks are put just before the second and fourth beats. it gives this kind of loping feel.

borderpolice

soca influenced beat of kick-kick-snare-kick-kick-snare where the snares are pushed back half a beat and the second and fourth kicks are put just before the second and fourth beats. it gives this kind of loping feel.

Thanks BD, i shall try and listen to these tracks. But i'm a bit surprised that you think KSKS is the 2step rhythm. one of the things that startled me about this genre was the much more heavily syncopated drumwork.

Tim F

Some of my favourite soca-beat 2-step tracks:

TJ Cases - One By One
Cleptomaniacs - All I Do (Bump & Flex Dancehall Dub)
Pay As U Go Kartel - Champagne Dance
K2 Family - Bouncin' Flow
Mis-Teeq - B With Me (Bump & Flex Dub)

Although if this scene is into this Dennis Ferrer mix of "The Cure & The Cause", I wonder if it's into all that Ferrer/Sydenham/Clausell axis of deep atmospheric tribal stuff. Maybe Ame's "Rej" or stuff by Henrik Schwarz will become really big in this scene? What a bizarre thought.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
i don't think i'd ever go to a funky house night in London but I love ShineFM. To me funky house is one of the ultimate dance music genres, taking all the best tips from other genres and moulding it into something that is 'pop' and super groovy at the same time.

My occasional outfit Loaded Knife had a stab in the late 90s> Supernatural Thing

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro

Great.

Just what every funky house fan has been screaming out for.

This WILL happen soon.If the hardcore Funky House crowd like it or not is beside the point.Dizzee Rascal has already said that there will be at least one funky House tune on his next LP.