what is funky house?

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Oh I don't doubt it.

My point is, UKG garage was truly amazing as a scene when it was still the really small Sunday scene, 94, 95, 96, when it was largely ignored by the media. The 2-step era produced some great music, and while I personally thought it was a great scene, but a lot of the pioneers were already really disillusioned with it even then - I remeber Cliff the Hat, founder of London Underground FM, quitting the scene in 1998 because it was already too commercial and unrecognisable to him. I didn't get it at the time. By the time I'd heard Champagne Dance, I could sympathize.

Funky house has been really great for the last few years, and of course it will change as it gets more popular, and I'm sure some great music will be made. But funky house got popular because people wanted to get away from fenced off, franchisable sounds like 2-step, grime etc, and get back to a type of clubbing where DJs can be truly diverse and eclectic and play all sorts of stuff, and the focus is on creating a vibrant underground scene rather than creating a defined, marketable sound that might "blow up". And perversly, that's why it has blown up.

But MCs in funky house might be really interesting. Or it might be as bad as when Rodney Dangerfield tried rapping.