version

I had a thought last night that if what Burroughs says about us developing towards astral projection into space and shedding the body is true and that the controllers will die if that happens so they're desperate to prevent it then you could posit the internet as some sort of snare or decoy.

We gradually shed the body, but, rather than traveling into space, we're funneled into cyberspace. A prison for the astral body that's still governed by the controllers.

I'm picturing the collection of venom from a snake or semen from a horse by tricking them into thinking they're interacting with another organism. A hijacking of the biological functions steering them into a cul-de-sac.

william_kent

diving deep into thee gray zone, slicing away the accumulated layers of crusty spunk and mouldy blood, I surface with this psychic tv "deep cut", featuring not one, not two, but three, nay, a trinity, of thee underground's most infamous junkies

Dave Ball & Genesis P-Orridge featuring Christiane F & William S. Burroughs - Dreams ( Decoder OST )

not sure about Dave Ball's habits, although I suspect he maybe have been more into "uppers"

woops

is not like other people
just to show off for a sec I've got a copy of dead fingers talk

i mentioned i was reading the naked lunch again and what bit me was how lucidly i remembered it from first reading maybe 25 years ago

i started reading dft when pissed up and felt like id read that before too

version

i started reading dft when pissed up and felt like id read that before too

Is it any good? I had a look at it, but cutting up his own novels seemed like milking it a bit. Apparently it's bits of Naked Lunch and The Soft Machine along with some original material. The first chapter seems to be the exact same as NL; "I can feel the heat closing in", etc.

william_kent

I have too few bookshelves

I have failed to unstack perilous piles of books in a futile effort to uncover my copy of Victor Bockris' "With Burroughs" where he tried to capitalise on his association with famous junkies by inviting them to the "bunker" where WSB would hold court and Victor would tape the proceedings to translate into hard cold cash that could rush up his arm

there are many sections i hoped to transcribe for our collective amusement but for the life of me i can't find the book due to the risk of being crushed under toppling piles of paper and hard backs

one such episode that i hoped to type out was when John Giorno, or was it Gregory Corso?, anyway, it was a beat up poet who turns up at at the "bunker" with a carrier bag of stolen prescription drugs and the wizened old guys are sifting through them saying "let's inject this" and WSB sneers at their inferior knowledge of pharmaceuticals and caustically informs them that "you'll be pissing all night, no high to be gained" when the ignorant beat up poet holds aloft a diuretic*

* although, my speed freak friends were into one diuretic that had an amphetamine rush, for the life of me can't remember the name

there also was a hilarious episode where Lou Reed, and maybe Bowie? ( i wish I could excavate my copy ) visit and WSB is just so sarcastic, but I'm only mentioning this because WSB guested on an album by Lou's future wife

Laurie Anderson ft William S. Burroughs - Sharkie's Night

version

i mentioned i was reading the naked lunch again and what bit me was how lucidly i remembered it from first reading maybe 25 years ago

His language and imagery's so potent. The voice too. I can hear him reading the stuff. That dry croak. It helps that he hammers the same ideas in so many books too. Each one drives the groove in your brain deeper.

woops

is not like other people
IMG-20230616-011716.jpg
here is my glorious book

version

IMG-20230616-011716.jpg
here is my glorious book

"Dead Fingers Talk, like many of Burroughs' works, was controversial upon its release. It was the subject of a scathing review in the Times Literary Supplement that resulted in a war of words between supporters and detractors of the novel (and Burroughs in general) that played out in the magazine's letters page for months."

😂 🔥

woops

is not like other people
his style in the naked lunch at least is so congenial and clear. if he introduces an obscure word he will frequently define it in brackets. never assuming you know more or less than he does. he also maintains a cranky old sense of humour throughout. the straight man remains poker faced no matter how deranged his subject matter.