The Prince Thread.

CrowleyHead

Having a Prince fan as a father makes it difficult to enjoy anything post-prince, because he will show and prove that everyone has ripped off Prince. Even INXS.

I'M NOT EVEN JOKING WITH THAT ONE!

just what i needed a dose of sunday morning prince to get me off

i'd still love to do a drunken karaoke version of 'if i was your girlfriend'

on a sidetrack...as the greatest of princes clones i'd always hoped Al b Sure would have developed into something more but still in 'effect mode' is essential.

theres just not enough guys singin falsetto these days!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I remember an interview with Clare Fischer, who did a lot of his string arrangements in the 80s, saying Prince took all the recorded orchestrations on ... some tune on 'Parade' ... and moved them all half a bar earlier so all the chord changes etc. are sort of shadowed by the rest of the track. I've forgotten the details, but stuff like that's awesome I reckon.

If I Was Your Girlfriend is definitely a high point for madness, I reckon. Love it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
OK, here's a point for discussion: Prince may have had a massive influence on hip-hop relate music, but any time he's gone near rapping himself it's sucked.

Cat rapping on the full version of Alphabet St, that MC (Tony someone?) in the New Power Generation circa 'Diamonds and Pearls', My Name Is Prince..?

Closest to OK you get is Melle Mel on Chaka Khan's cover of I Feel For You. :D

Thoughts?

oh chur...:eek:

...shoulda said gone near rap instead of 'rapping himself' then

but why should you think it would be wicked...cos he's black ?

isnt that like saying every time a black act goes near meatl music they suck ?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
...he could walk in uninvited to any genre and princefy it and make it his, make it stranger in a way only he could...

I think it was more in reference to this than "because he's black". ie he makes almost any genre he dabbles with great, why is Hip-Hop an exception?

But by all means let's devolve this thread into a series of unfounded accusations of racism. That's always good fun.

^^^innit tho cos it's the one thing y'all are too scared to put out in the open...

...i think it would tickle princes fanny pink

fwiw, i reckon i could walk in uninvited to any thread and dubalinize it and make it mine, make it stranger in a way only i can...

...doesnt mean i should tho

re: prince and hiphop. I think maybe its cos he's a guitarist first and foremost and as we all know, guitarists make shit beats :D

...there is always an exception to the rule

for the most part dont mind me, im just typing in stereo...

...but go back and listen to sign of the times and its mostly a 2bar loop hardly worth raviung about

'gett off' is a better one, though that might be a collective effort involving the NPG and a real drummer

and not a bad rap in it either containing one of his best lines 'now move ya big ass round so i can work on that zipper baby'

its one thing we do share. Baby's got to have back eh!!!

"sexy motherfucker" is sweet ass too

michael

Bring out the vacuum
oh chur...:eek:

but why should you think it would be wicked...cos he's black ?

Nah, the only reason I thought it might be wicked is, as I already wrote, "Prince may have had a massive influence on hip-hop relate music, but..."

I just think it's at least interesting that someone who's supposed to have inspired a whole lot of peeps within a particular genre doesn't exactly achieve big results when he tries to feed a bit of that back into his own sound.

Actually his verses on Gett Off are better than that Tony T or whoever guy... and definitely a lot better than My Name Is Prince. Does he rap in Sexy MF? Had forgotten.

CrowleyHead

Hey man, "Get Off" is Prince's version of New Jack Swing.

So of course, there is a incredibly lame-ass Kane clone. How many of those existed in the early 90's? And Prince didn't really understand hip-hop. He's consistently regarded it as non-musical, even back then. If you're coming into it with that sort of an attitude, you ultimately fail.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Gett Off is one of his top 10 tracks IMO. Obviously it sounds very much of its time, but that level of sleaze and attitude is very rarely found elsewhere.

mms

sometimes
Hey man, "Get Off" is Prince's version of New Jack Swing.

So of course, there is a incredibly lame-ass Kane clone. How many of those existed in the early 90's? And Prince didn't really understand hip-hop. He's consistently regarded it as non-musical, even back then. If you're coming into it with that sort of an attitude, you ultimately fail.

yes he had a problem with rap and also it's hyper masculinity too, it's all over the black album - dead on it / bob george etc.

went to a wedding last night of my best teenage friend and fellow prince fan, that was pretty funny, its made me want to listen to prince alot!

Regarding shit beats or whatever the banned obnoxious guy upthread is chatting about, prince made some of the most incredible beats, off the wall linn drum alien madness, just cos its not hip hop it doesn't mean he can't do a good beat, i think his drums are one of the most outstanding elements of his music, and what separates him from loads of other 80's street funk artists.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Plus, the Prince Drum Machine beats are STILL getting knocked off.

Anyone remember Puffy's BLATANT Prince-worship track he did w/ Keisha Cole?

Of course, we all know somebody SOLD that to Puffy, but I wonder who?

gumdrops

the prince influence in modern R&B/hip hop is pretty obvious. check out the stuff neptunes have done (the song for robin thicke - love you girl, hollerback girl for gwen stefani which jacked the drum pattern from housequake), pretty much dre3000s whole shtick, dangelo/maxwell/bilal etc. but yeah, his own hip hop stuff and even his own attempts to do do modern R&B over the years have been pretty dire. the song hes just done with qtip isnt bad though (even if the rest of the new album, a few songs aside, is pretty bad). hes been using the linn on and off for a good few years now, but nothing hes done has been as inspired as what he did with it in the 80s.

padro1982

Gett Off is one of his top 10 tracks IMO. Obviously it sounds very much of its time, but that level of sleaze and attitude is very rarely found elsewhere.

I agree, love that line 'move your big ass round so I can work on that zipper', I reckon his complete overt filthiness is one of the (many) great things about him, the guy doesn't give a fuck, 'Pussy Control' is another song I love for this reason, the line 'Pussy got bank in her pocket, before she got dick in her drawers' is just classic.