The Prince Thread.

mms

sometimes
yeah i think as far as general general weirdness/avant-gardness/'deviancy' (and obv the whole gender bending stuff) meets pure pop, i think prince and bowie are the most similar. most people cite stevie (or sly for the multiracial sound/band) as far as the one man band thing, which holds for general self reliancy/methodology/use of the studio etc but neither stevie or sly were ever really as pop or 'weird' as prince/bowie.

i dunno to be sure what you mean by deviancy you're mean his relationship to masculinity, prince has a very unusual masculinity, he even split his recording personality into different archetypes, in a similar way to bowie, although princes sexual personality was much more exhuberant and lusty than bowie's who was very introspective, but both used music and clothing as a way to explore sexual identity, and to an extent race.

That was one of the things that appealed to me i think, his unfixed state, he was an adventure in self creation, which is more than just being a musician, and he was more than a reaction to high or club fashion or neurosis it seemed too.

Last edited:

gumdrops

there was a beck cover of diamond dogs that was produced by timbaland a few years back that is kinda what i imagine prince producing bowie might have sounded like, or as close to it. well i can dream.

CrowleyHead

As far as Prince to Stevie, the comparison is influence. Though, I'm told Stevie played a lot more than just keys and drums on the albums... Not able to compare the two successfully.

Actually, there's a easy comparison between Prince and Bowie: both depend heavily on who their background is.These guys decide they need to make a stylistic change, and start slowly filtering out what they think they don't need for things of their benefit. And usually, they actually bounce stuff off of their bandmates and come up with songs that way.

I mean, on a technicality, Dr. Fink wrote "Dirty Mind" with Prince while the band was in a jam session. So by that right, you can see how he'd minorly influence him... To put it in better terms...

Eno & Fripp are Wendy & Lisa.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
If anyone here is on Demonoid, there's an amazing bootleg DVD Prince concert DVD (unedited TV footage, no cam in the audience gear like others on Demonoid) up for download. It's from the LiveSexy tour, similar production values to Sign O' The Times, but lots more classics. If anyone's keen but not on Demonoid, I could burn it to DVD and stick a copy in the mail.

mms

sometimes
If anyone here is on Demonoid, there's an amazing bootleg DVD Prince concert DVD (unedited TV footage, no cam in the audience gear like others on Demonoid) up for download. It's from the LiveSexy tour, similar production values to Sign O' The Times, but lots more classics. If anyone's keen but not on Demonoid, I could burn it to DVD and stick a copy in the mail.

i have a feeling this was on tv, there were quite a few concerts recorded for telly, imagine that!

right now is the time to ask about prnc botlgs

who has any for swappage etc?
or know where to get some studio preferred, esp around around the workd in a day era?

cobretti

i have a feeling this was on tv, there were quite a few concerts recorded for telly, imagine that!

Aye, it's just the TV footage , but it's uncut so comes to near 2 hrs long. It's Prince at his crazy gender bending best though.

I think my favourite thing about Prince artist is that he loves his own music. So many artists try to be modest about their work, as if to show that they really enjoy it would compromise their integrity. Watching Prince live, you can see that he gets completely lost in doing his own thing, whilst feeding off of the crowd. Doesn't hurt that he's a proper show off either :D

who has any for swappage etc?
or know where to get some studio preferred, esp around around the workd in a day era?

This Canadian boy U-Tern did a mix of Prince tracks a couple of years ago:

U-Tern - The Purple Mix

* Prince – Wet Dream Cousin (Unreleased)
* Prince – Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) (Demo Version)
* Prince – Do Yourself A Favour (Unreleased)
* Prince – I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
* Prince – Purple Music (Unreleased)
* Prince – The Line (Unreleased)
* Prince – I Would Die 4 U
* Prince – Desire (Unreleased)
* Prince – Strange Way Of Saying I Love U (Unreleased)
* Prince – Do It All Night
* Prince – Fury
* Sheila E – The Glamorous Life
* Prince – Around The World In A Day
* Prince – Uptown
* Prince – When Doves Cry
* Prince – Climax (Unreleased)
* Prince – Erotic City
* Prince – Irresistable Bitch
* Prince – Irresistable Bitch (Demo Version)
* Prince – I Feel For You
* Chaka Khan – I Feel For You
* Prince – Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad
* Prince – Extra Lovable (Unreleased)
* Prince – Controversy
* Prince – Lady Cab Driver
* Prince – Little Red Corvette
* Prince – Raspberry Beret
* Prince – Take Me With U
* Prince – 1999
* Prince – Possessed (Unreleased)
* Apollonia 6 – Sex Shooter
* Prince – Sex Shooter (Demo Version)
* Prince – Feel U Up (Demo Version)
* Prince – I Wanna Be Your Lover
* Prince – Housequake
* Vanity 6 – Nasty Girl
* Prince – Head
* Prince – Soft and Wet
* Prince – Jerk Out (Demo Version)
* Prince – G-Spot (Unreleased)
* Sheila E – A Love Bizarre
* Prince – Kiss
* Prince – Kiss (Acoustic Demo)
* Prince – Wouldn’t You Love To Love Me (Unreleased)
* Prince – Money Don’t Matter 2 Night
* Prince – Crazy You
* Prince – The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
* Prince – Baby Go-Go (Unreleased)
* Prince – Sign O’ The Times
* Prince – Let’s Go Crazy
* Prince – If I Was Your Girlfriend
* Prince – I Miss You (Unreleased)
* Prince – Purple Rain

Has a good few bootlegs and alternative versions on it, he ended up sending some of them to my brother. Will see if he still has them.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
ive got quite a lot of bootlegs if you wanna swap...

the ones i have are on tape, the one i'm after is from around the world in a day, it's on that mix, much better than the slightly overegged version on the lp, rather perfect.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Aye, it's just the TV footage , but it's uncut so comes to near 2 hrs long. It's Prince at his crazy gender bending best though.

I think my favourite thing about Prince artist is that he loves his own music. So many artists try to be modest about their work, as if to show that they really enjoy it would compromise their integrity. Watching Prince live, you can see that he gets completely lost in doing his own thing, whilst feeding off of the crowd. Doesn't hurt that he's a proper show off either :D

This Canadian boy U-Tern did a mix of Prince tracks a couple of years ago:

U-Tern - The Purple Mix

* Prince – Wet Dream Cousin (Unreleased)
* Prince – Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) (Demo Version)
* Prince – Do Yourself A Favour (Unreleased)
* Prince – I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
* Prince – Purple Music (Unreleased)
* Prince – The Line (Unreleased)
* Prince – I Would Die 4 U
* Prince – Desire (Unreleased)
* Prince – Strange Way Of Saying I Love U (Unreleased)
* Prince – Do It All Night
* Prince – Fury
* Sheila E – The Glamorous Life
* Prince – Around The World In A Day
* Prince – Uptown
* Prince – When Doves Cry
* Prince – Climax (Unreleased)
* Prince – Erotic City
* Prince – Irresistable Bitch
* Prince – Irresistable Bitch (Demo Version)
* Prince – I Feel For You
* Chaka Khan – I Feel For You
* Prince – Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad
* Prince – Extra Lovable (Unreleased)
* Prince – Controversy
* Prince – Lady Cab Driver
* Prince – Little Red Corvette
* Prince – Raspberry Beret
* Prince – Take Me With U
* Prince – 1999
* Prince – Possessed (Unreleased)
* Apollonia 6 – Sex Shooter
* Prince – Sex Shooter (Demo Version)
* Prince – Feel U Up (Demo Version)
* Prince – I Wanna Be Your Lover
* Prince – Housequake
* Vanity 6 – Nasty Girl
* Prince – Head
* Prince – Soft and Wet
* Prince – Jerk Out (Demo Version)
* Prince – G-Spot (Unreleased)
* Sheila E – A Love Bizarre
* Prince – Kiss
* Prince – Kiss (Acoustic Demo)
* Prince – Wouldn’t You Love To Love Me (Unreleased)
* Prince – Money Don’t Matter 2 Night
* Prince – Crazy You
* Prince – The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
* Prince – Baby Go-Go (Unreleased)
* Prince – Sign O’ The Times
* Prince – Let’s Go Crazy
* Prince – If I Was Your Girlfriend
* Prince – I Miss You (Unreleased)
* Prince – Purple Rain

Has a good few bootlegs and alternative versions on it, he ended up sending some of them to my brother. Will see if he still has them.

thanks 4 the mix :)

Leo

i recently saw a bootleg called "loring park session" on a blog, funk instrumentals from 1977. the description sounded decent, anyone heard it?

PeteUM

It's all grist
Meant to be Prince on keys, unbelievably adept for 19. But it's very slick fusion (jazz-rock) funk. Like an old skool Madhouse. Minneapolis 94 East is better. Interesting though. Prince is a motherfucker!

cobretti

I wish he'd get his arse in gear and do a proper UK or European tour. He's been gigging a lot in the US lately, my jammy sister went to see him at Madison Square Garden at the end of 2010.

Those demo session vids that were up on YouTube at some point last year were a rare treat, I think they got taken down pretty swiftly though.

EDIT: Looks like When Doves Cry is still up there:

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

If anybody bothered with it, his 20Ten album was almost good. Like, it's the first album in a minute that he played everything on it, and it sounds like a hollow/soulless version of his classic material. Complete with 7 minute Jehova's Witness Ballad called 'Future Soul Song' (Prince's afro-futurism moment?).

A fuck lot better than the last two records though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't get Sign O' The Times. Just don't get it. I tried again after reading this thread, but nope, it's not a grower either. Love some of his earlier stuff, love the production (and some of the songs) on Diamonds and Pearls, but SOTT....nope. Can anyone explain?

rubberdingyrapids

you have to listen to the earlier 80s stuff first. that would be more likely to grab you more - 1999, purple rain, parade. then, SOTT prob makes more sense. its like prince's theres a riot going on to stand. SOTT is more subdued, and kinda like a summary of everything he did up to then, but a bit more serious, bit more introverted/subdued, it doesnt exactly have the immediacy like his earlier songs like delirious or little red corvette, etc even though it does have songs like hot thing and i could never take the place of your man. also, skip the title track.

Leo

the song "sign o' the times" is pretty great, the rest not so much (i do like "hot thing" and "the cross").

but enough of sott, what about that "screwdriver" video? when did prince become lenny kravitz?