Clothes

mms

sometimes
what about Latin America? which are the most stylish cities?

Sass and Bide are all about the tapered look. I like it on girls, but 9 times out of 10 the ultra skinny ankle-tight look is terrible on guys -- walked into Diesel the other day (nostalgia for my younger days?) and the kids that worked there all had on really low cut, baggy around the butt, skinny around the ankles black jeans... as if the indie-dogshit they listen to wasn't puke-worthy enough...

diesel clothes have always been some of the worst out there i think.

i bought a tshirt with diagram of a heart on it the other day. first tshirt i've bought in years.

swears

preppy-kei
I try to dress as inconspicously as possible, I'd get slapped around Liverpool for wearing anything too flamboyant. So it's just plain hoodies, jeans, trainers (or plain black shoes) and short hair for me.

3underscore

Diesel are crazy. 95% of the stuff they put out is absolutely awful.

But if you find bits of the other 1% (about 4% of the 5% are just bootcut jeans), they are absolutely incredible. I have a diesel jacket which I bought after months of looking for a coat - excellent cut, nice non-diesel design.

It is rare to find them though, and apparently I am XL (I take a 40 chest suit and 32 waist, so am not exactly big.)

zhao

there are no accidents
so what is the verdict on this board of boot-cut versus ankle huggers (don't know correct terminology)?

boot-cut-jean.jpg
l_PR007430_6dba9.jpg

N

nomadologist

they're "drainpipes." i like em better. i don't wear anything that's wider than straight leg. because that is very 90s looking.

zhao

there are no accidents
i don't wear anything that's wider than straight leg. because that is very 90s looking.

or 60s. or 70s.

and "drainpipes" are surely 80s looking???

I just can't get into the whole tapered scene. makes most people look like midgets on stilts. guess I'll stick to my thin straight cut.

same with the 3-button suit - people say they're "so 90s" but I say the 2 or 1-button is very 80s!

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It depends on what sort of build you are with regard jeans. I kinda like seeing fat mods squeezed into drainpipes but it was never me, being slim to stocky but short, I always went with straight leg, not loose fit, not tight. They're always too long in this country anyway.
I think you have to be really tall to pull off boot-cut jeans, or a girl, or a cowboy. On short men you're right, it just adds dwarf status to the proceedings. Those ones are those Levi twisted leg jeans.
Three button suits? Are you mad?

N

nomadologist

yeah, maybe it's 80s looking. but bootcut is the 90s trying to look 70s. so i'll pass.

zhao

there are no accidents
Three button suits? Are you mad?

with only 1 exception, all my jackets / sport coats / suits are 3 buttoned afairs. works perfectly well, maybe just for me - thin, medium build, not tall. does look terrible on some people. what is your objection exactly?

zhao

there are no accidents
a few noteworthy things part 1 - alexander McQueen:

00240m.jpg
understand the need to offset top with wrinkly/baggy bottom, but this ninja should keep looking in the pants department.

00340m.jpg
wow. don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to wear belts outside of long coats, but wow.

00310m.jpg
the toy robot look is in. notice the tights - boot combo.

00380m.jpg
a bit on the fence about this... striking or tacky? sharp or creepy?

00210m.jpg
still have a weak spot for android electricians...

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't know, I'm tall and very slim and go for the mid-70s Robert Evans look, so I choose bootcut with the caveat that most companies cannot make a decent or attractive pair or anything near, as you can see by the pair above which are hideous and, surely, blending toward forwards flaired.

N

nomadologist

i fucking love mcqueen, especially his earliest stuff. legendary. that show based on the shining he did? i used to get up at 11AM Sat when i was 10-years-old to watch Style with Elsa Klensch on CNN and that show made my year.

oliver is right, there's a distinction to be made between bootcut and flaired.

Last edited:

alo

io

Just found out about this brand IO, menswear from Berlin, some of which is brilliant. Have a look.

www.io-berlin.com

The white shirt, grey trousers and grey leather jacket with big collar in particular. Can't find a way of buying it other than by appointment at Temporary Showroom in Berlin though! Agh!

zhao

there are no accidents
ah yes ze berliners wiz ze neutral tones... but me think Jill Sanders is better at it than these guys. which brings us to Noteworthy Outfits part the second:

everyday functional minimalism (I would do any of these with intense color scarf)

00100m.jpg

00080m.jpg

00430m.jpg

00370m.jpg