"Cocaine Rap" Sasha Frere-Jones hilarious delusion

gumdrops

yes you win your very own street corner and a bag of crack rocks and several kilos of cocaine to sell for your own profit and pleasure. PLUS as a bonus a small crew of aspiring rappers on hand to observe and churn out hot mixtapes of authentic street reportage of sale of that hard white that will also send a tidy sum your way.
lol

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

don't like busta, either. something about his vocals bug me after a while. fwiw, kinda liked "judgment day"

"authentic" is always a hilarious word, you're right gumdrops.

you know what's great? how jay-z can say "i got my MBA at the marcy projects", and everyone thinks he's brilliant, but if anyone else says essentially the same thing but in a much more interesting (if less straightforward) way, they're bad...

PS This book looks fantastic, Minikomi

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
name me ONE HIP HOP ARTIST who doesn't talk about selling cocaine. please. i guarantee you that artist is someone i have NO INTEREST in listening to sonically

I love the Clipse record and most of the rap I listen to these days also seems to involve coke sales. That said, this statement seems pretty stupid. It's like saying `I love novels but only if they're about banking.' Why would you dismiss someone out of hand without even trying out the sounds and technique?

N

nomadologist

Maybe you didn't read a the other posts I wrote, but in them I made it pretty clear that my point is more that selling drugs and being a big-bad-dealer is a TROPE that is CENTRAL to hip-hop in general--so that "coke rap" is redundant--and that I was never trying to say across the board that it's impossible to write good hip-hop about other subjects. Of course you can, and people have, but I can't think of many examples of great hip-hop that do not deal with drug dealing as symptomatic of the myriad social problems that plague urban minorities who live in poverty. (Save Missy Elliot) Most of my favorite hip-hop in terms of BEATS and SONICS deals with the prevalence of drugs in the ghetto. I made that distinction--that most hip-hop that is not "gansta rap" is boring to me sonically, or simply does not appeal to me production-wise.

Hip-hop is not alone in relying on highly charged themes for lyrical content. All pop musical genres have common idioms or lyrical conventions. Rock is also traditionally focused on endlessly fascinating and deep subject matter--i.e., the rockstar's many one-night stands and freewheeling drug use. IMO, this is equally if not more banal and tedious than the topic of drug dealing in hip-hop. Of course, some pop music music steps outside the common idioms of its genre, but in general, as with folk musics, the simplicity of the subject matter pop music deals with lyrically is part of its charm and mass appeal.

It is hard to find hip-hop that doesn't in some way deal with cocaine use or sales-- even a lot of conscious hip-hop talks about how other hip-hop talks too much about drugs and guns and ice and bitches. My next question is: why is "coke rap" somehow more "sociopathic" or debased than misogynistic hip-hop or rock.

Is the Clipse somehow more morally reprehensible than The Rollling Stones? Or, say, Iggy Pop, who sings endlessly about the pleasures of completely uninhibited hedonism.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Here is another example that illustrates my point: would we not generally concede that we all think David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust is a highwater mark for glam and--even if we don't personally like it all that much--a "classic" rock album?

Should our enjoyment of that album be mitigated by that fact that it was written by an artist who had one of the most legendarily dire cocaine addictions in recorded history? Is it morally reprehensible that he is obviously using some watered down Nietzschean Dionysius as a model for his Ziggy character, who is really his brilliant rendering of his own Mr. Hyde, his own addiction, the David Bowie who is delusional and paranoid in the advanced stages of a heinous coke problem? At the time it was released, even those closest to him were worried that he'd Pygmalioned himself, used this Ziggy character and the Nietzschean notions regarding the Dionysian versus the Apollonian and the uebermensch to justify his drug use. Some were sincerely afraid he had lost it and believed he was Ziggy, though this was written into the album's conceit--that the artist self-mythologizes, extends the myth and then has to live up to it.

Because if this is wrong, I don't want to be right. Send me to hell if liking the Clipse or David Bowie or Iggy Pop or William S. Burroughs or Snoop or Biggy makes me a sinner.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Wow.

I just read the last 3 pages of this thread and it's a long discussion about nothing. Sascha Frere- Jones wrote yet ANOTHER article about the "coke rap" phenomenon...YAWN! I've been reading articles about "coke rap" since 1984...if someone else writes a fuckin' article about "coke rap" or The Clipse, Ghostface Killah, Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, etca nad doesn't say anything different or new then fuck 'em.

I don't care to type about Crack because I experienced the horrors of that drug first hand. I remember the dead bodies laid out on the concrete, the cops never coming and the crack vials and baggies all over the playground and basketball courts in the mid to late 80's and zombies all throughout my neighborhood and city. I never sold crack because of that shit. Why would I purposely contribute to the genocide of my own people?

If the music is dope and made well, I'll cop it. If it's unimaginative, I won't. Get off this whole topic.

Coke Rap Is Dead.

One.

N

nomadologist

I thought you just said coke rap has been around since 1984? That, in fact, was my entire point. Frere-Jones is wrong, there's always been coke rap.

Obviously, you don't have to like the latest Clipse album. But to get on some moral high horse about it is ridiculous and hypocritical. They are not "sociopaths" for talking about dealing drugs. I'm sure we could get a clinical psychologist to wax poetic about exactly why not for thousands of pages.

Why should we "get off this whole topic" if we don't want to? You don't have to read the thread.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Couldn't singing about drug dealing, especially when you present it as something with ugly consequences, actually get people thinking about the crack plight? Isn't that what Ice-T was doing way back when (with racism and the police)? He sure as hell did raise awareness, didn't he?

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Oh yeah: and what have you said that's different or new? I've heard millions of people cop your attitude about how "hip hop is dead" whenever you're talking about an artist you don't like, but you devote your entire day to it, right? Aren't you a hip-hop artist yourself? If you think hip-hop is so dead, why bother?

Some people think the Clipse album is "dope" and have "copped it." Are you trying to come in here and be the arbiter of all things great? I don't care what you like, I'm happy to disagree with you about your ideology, but I'd never try to tell you what to like. That's just lame.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Why would I purposely contribute to the genocide of my own people?

Out of desperation and misguided belief that if the system fails you, you should to do whatever it takes to get ahead. Not because you're "evil" or a sociopath.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
To end...

I'm 31 years old and I'm from the 'hood and I've seen more death and destruction at the hand of drugs that I really don't feel like I need to have this discussion again. I know WHY people would sell drugs, I know people that did in the past and do it unti this very day. I said that I PERSONALLY didn't do it because I didn't want to contribute to the genocide of my people. I wasn't passing judgement on anyone.

I also wasn't engaging in a discussion, just posting MY position on it. I don't understand why you're posting four times in a row, either. I never personally said "Hip Hop Is Dead"...I DID write a blog EXPLAINING THE ANALOGY BECAUSE i understood it..I never said that I believed Hip Hop was dead. If that was the case I wouldn't be the one keep the thread on the first page, now would I?

I'm done with this pointless thread and discussion. I've LIVED THROUGH the shit my whole life and I tire of talking about it...unless I can write about it and put a different spin on it than 100 writers before me have done.

I'm a Clipse fan, for your information...have been since 1998. One.

N

nomadologist

Poisonous Dart, sorry, I think I had you confused with Precious Cuts upthread. Didn't mean to attribute things to you that you didn't say.

I've lived through some pretty horrible shit at the hands of drugs myself. My family was in the Sicilian mafia (still is but I don't talk to those people). I used to be a heroin addict. Many of my friends have died and/or been completely lost in other ways at the hands of that drug, and at the hands of cocaine. I definitely know first hand the havoc drugs can wreck on someone's life, what it does to impoverished people (grew up impoverished myself.)

PS Personally I find shorter, concise posts more lucid and try to only respond to one idea per post. Otherwise I'd write diatribes that not even I would have the patience to read.

Last edited:

28 Gun Nice Boy

Interesting thread. What do you think of E-40's 'White Gurl'?

Be careful what you write though; I'm a one hundred and sixty year old homeless chinese man who lived through the second Opium War, so my opinion will trump any of yours...

gumdrops

I made it pretty clear that my point is more that selling drugs and being a big-bad-dealer is a TROPE that is CENTRAL to hip-hop in general.

sorry but this is total and utter bollocks. i can name dozens of rappers who arent big bad drug dealers on wax and are some of the best rappers everrrr. eg - andre3000, big boi, q-tip, ll cool j, de la soul, tribe called quest, ice cube, big daddy kane, etc etc. rhyming about drugs has always been there in the music but not in EVERY single rappers records, nor as prevalent/mandatory as it is these days.

I thought you just said coke rap has been around since 1984? That, in fact, was my entire point. Frere-Jones is wrong, there's always been coke rap.

theres been hip hop songs about coke, and rappers who talk about selling crack on record since the mid 80s but not like it is today, where its just everywhere all over the music, everyone talks about selling crack like its no big deal, totally blithe, and most of all, quite lighthearted about it.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Maybe you didn't read a the other posts I wrote, but in them I made it pretty clear that my point is more that selling drugs and being a big-bad-dealer is a TROPE that is CENTRAL to hip-hop in general--so that "coke rap" is redundant--and that I was never trying to say across the board that it's impossible to write good hip-hop about other subjects.

Well, that's actually what you did say in that particular post. You also said many other things but I don't feel obligated to eliminate statemtns you actually make that are consistent with other things yoiu do in fact say. But that aisde: why do you think cocaine is so integral to this whole picture? Personally speaking the reason I'm feeling the clipse album is that a) there is something to listen to in terms of production b) the rapping is technicallly deep c) there is an interesting cold sense of humor at work in the whole proceedings. I don't particularly care whether the content involves cocaine or not. That's pretty irrelevant right, in terms of evaluating what's at work in a piece of art? As far as I'm concerned they could be rapping about taking care of their kids or corporate takeovers, but as long as the intelligence and depth is there I'm fine with it. I don't deal coke or hang out with dealers most of the time. And I don't get why this has to be the main point of the discussion about htis record. As PD says this topic has been around for a long time and there is both good rapping (Clipse, Ghostface for two recent examples) and bad (Jeexy, IMO) on it. The point is whether what's going on is INTERESTING not whether it's REAL. And if you tie your approval of content to whether it matches your `TROPE' then you are off point IMO. Who cares???????? I think gumdrops is making the same point here. Question: what is it about coke dealing that gets you off so much? Why wouldn't something else be equally good if it was equally well done? If the point of the questi8on is unclear maybe you should examine what it is you're looking for.

(Apologies for typoes: I've been drinking now)

gumdrops

right - clipse are just incredibly brilliant rappers. theyre the only hip hop group of recent times ive been listening to regularly and wanted to keep returning to. theres a real dark sardonic wit there, a certain panache to their technique, and their lyrics are tightly crammed and layered. never mind that their technique is exquisitely sharp and although they sound like theyre really trying to outdo everyone else and still have some of that competitive spirit i dont hear too often anymore, theyre brilliantly emotionless. they just rhyme with more anger, fury, hunger than 90% of everyone else in mainstream rap at the moment. they just sound like theyre out to murder the competition (and well, mankind - nothing like a bit of gleeful, nihilistic hatred for humanity to lift the spirits)

Eric

Mr Moraigero
right - clipse are just incredibly brilliant rappers. theyre the only hip hop group of recent times ive been listening to regularly and wanted to keep returning to. theres a real dark sardonic wit there, a certain panache to their technique, and their lyrics are tightly crammed and layered. never mind that their technique is exquisitely sharp and although they sound like theyre really trying to outdo everyone else and still have some of that competitive spirit i dont hear too often anymore, theyre brilliantly emotionless. they just rhyme with more anger, fury, hunger than 90% of everyone else in mainstream rap at the moment. they just sound like theyre out to murder the competition (and well, mankind - nothing like a bit of gleeful, nihilistic hatred for humanity to lift the spirits)

Yes! exactly.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I'd say the whole coke rap/crack rap thing came to the fore out of the increasing lack of things and details to talk about in the 'gangsta' category, which everyone is still trying to fit into out of insecurity about being called un-real.

I love and jam to lots of gangsta coke tunes but I feel that the whole idea has been pretty rinsed and that's why a lot of the stuff I'm really hyped about now is not that or only seems to include that as a hangover/bridge from the current hopefully outgoing era. These things include both of Andre's new guest verses on the Lloyd single and Walk It Out, The Pack's Vans song, E-40's whole album, Skepta, Jammer, JME, Chronik and Tinchy Stryder, Idonia, Movado and Busy Signal. And yes before someone gets pedantic and points out that some of those people mention coke or do songs about it I'd say yes, but it's not primarily or only about that, E-40 being a perfect example.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but hanging your personal history out on a message board in an attempt to win points in an argument does not strike me as a position of strength or a respect enhancing maneuver. If you have all that experience and knowledge then use it to make a point that's really strong and convincing.

I agree with Nas that the whole 'keep it real' 'reality rap' mode that people are in right now is idiotic and crazy. People need to remember that rappers are musicians, artists and writers who may or may not be portraying a character, depicting someone else's experience, conjuring a fantasy or talking about themselves. The idea that they're supposed to be giving us an account of their real lives is awful and boring.

N

nomadologist

Ok, good points here, but I can reply to them all at once: yes, there has always been hip hop that does not use drug dealing as a central lyrical theme, but historically, the most visible/popular/controversial/high-selling hip hop has been of the "gansta" variety where violence and drugs are pretty central. Artists like Tribe are definitely legitimate, cool, whatever, and I can see why people like it, but the way I've always seen that sort of hip-hop in a sociological context is more as "college rap" in the same way there's "college rock"--independently released, sometimes with a cult-following, but without the mass appeal that commercially driven major label hip hop has, so that it doesn't have quite the same impact, especially when you're talking about "hip hop" qua the way your average white person thinks about it. I don't "get off" on coke dealing. Coke dealing to me is, frankly, no big deal and, in fact, something that's been omnipresent in my life. I suppose that I am less offended by it--when I hear people talk about it, it doesn't seem jarring, the words and drug slang themselves are common parlance among basically everyone I know. So there's no "shock value" at all. I only take note when it's a particularly clever turn of phrase or sentiment that i relate to.

This doesn't mean there are no good rappers who don't use gansta rap imagery or lyrics. I happen to prefer hip hop that is beat-driven and club-oriented, I never said there are literally none, if you'll note--I said that I would rather not listen to non-beatdriven hip hop or what some people call "conscious hip hop". ["Name one hip hop artist that doesn't talk about coke...and I guarantee you it's nothing I like sonically." That's why I said, but I suppose you didn't finish reading the second half of the sentence.) I don't know why you're all leaping from my stated dislike of conscious hip hop to "there is no hip hop in history that didn't deal with coke dealing," which itself was stated in an obviously hyperbolic fashion to highlight my passionate preference for beat-drive and production-oriented hip hop.

In any case, I do think that in evaluating why gansta rap uses those themes it is hugely important to consider how explosive gansta rap's impact was, and the cultural climate that existed when gansta rap peaked in popularity in the early-mid 90s. This is when hip hop had the widest-reaching cultural significance INSOFAR AS (note the qualification here) its bold use of highly charged language and the refusal of gansta rappers to back down from their exploration of the struggles of the disenfranchised impoverished black urban youth-- along with the attending wild popularity of their music--made it close to impossible for white people to ignore these issues. The Rodney King beating alone serves as a perfect illustration of the kind of backdrop that accompanied this music, and its relevance, in my mind, is brilliantly and deliberately at the foreground of the lyrics. I think this music and the uproar surrounding it was damn successful in raising awareness and really was a step in the right direction culturally. I love that these artists beat out the censors and used negative publicity to reach more people with their message and their music.

I like Clipse for the same reason the others here do. They're fucking brilliant--lyrically, musically, production-wise, in just about any way I can analyze them. I made the point about tropes not because I think it needs defending on this level, but because I think that the people who say this album is "nihilistic" "debased" or "sociopathic" are being ridiculously literalist.

I only brought up my personal history because I don't like the fact that many people seem to assume that white people who listen to this music are buying into some negative stereotype about black people--I've even heard people suggest that white people who like this "get off" on hearing black people talk about violence and negative aspects of life in the ghetto. I think that is extremely unfair and misses the point when people say this, and I'm frankly sick of being accused by journalists left and right of appreciating Clipse on the level of a suburban white prep school teen boy because I'm white.

I also brought up personal history to point out that if you've lived around drug dealing your entire life, when the Clipse talk about drug dealing, or when any hip hop artist talks about it, you do not immediately feel shocked, horrified, or assume that they could only possibly be saying these things for shock value. I am not embarrassed of my past, I'm proud that I've made it so far despite my problems. I refuse to be ashamed of it, and I see no reason why people shouldn't mention their experiences when talking about things like sociology and racial tension. It's the only way we can talk about it, because there is no "objectivity" in these matters. Plus, we are not in a boardroom, I am not in a classroom, or at a job interview. This is a message board, on the internet, virtual paradise--I don't feel the need to hold myself to the same standards I would in reality. That would be boring, and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a rat's ass about what strangers on the internet think of me.

The Clipse, in my opinion, use the less savory details of their experience (in a highly stylized way, of course) to point out to people who are shocked that these things are an everyday, banal reality for some people. There is an added layer there of using hyperbole and caricature and fantastically created imagery about a hyperreal coke utopia. It's brilliant the way they work on two levels. I just think trying to use PC piety or accusing someone of being a "sociopath" because the wrote a song about something negative and ugly is ridiculous. I can think of rock music with infinitely more disturbing lyrics about killing women, sexism. There was Eminem, whom many of these same journalists jizzed themselves over constantly. I hate seeing music I love so much get so misinterpreted, is all. Especially when the concerns raised seem hypocritical and pointlessly self-righteous.

PS I should go read those Nas interviews, because I like this idea that you bring up, Sizzle...

Last edited: