films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I started watching 'Fight Club' yesterday and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Used to think it was great when I was younger, now I clearly can't fucking stand it. All that pseudo witty stuff about ''Latte enemas'' and flat-pack apartments or whatever it is, nauseating.

Luckily I had 'Raging Bull' to watch afterwards and that was as brilliant as I remember it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fight Club is terrible, that's for sure.

As is Dogtooth, which I saw at the weekend. Like second-rate Haneke, and you really don't want to put yourself through second-rate Haneke. That's not entertainment.

e/y

I liked Fight Club when I was 16/17, but I watched it again recently and thought it was pretty shit.

Dogtooth, iirc, massively ripped off an older movie, the name of which escapes me atm...

rubberdingyrapids

i think aronofsky might be a bit limited. hes weirdly praised for his depth it seems post-black swan (which wasnt actually that deep), but i prefer the more visceral stuff he does like requiem. i see him as someone like brian de palma.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, i think he does what he does very well, but he's not incredibly versatile or great with character. that said, i enjoyed both requiem and black swan hugely. obviously you don't exactly enjoy requiem...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think one of the main culprits of "enjoyed it when I was 16/17 but don't anymore" is Requiem for A Dream. I thought it was great at the time, the only thing I really like about it now is the editing.

For a second I misread 'editing' as 'ending' and was like 'you sick motherfucker!'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"As is Dogtooth, which I saw at the weekend. Like second-rate Haneke, and you really don't want to put yourself through second-rate Haneke. That's not entertainment."
Was very disappointed with Dogtooth. Not sure if it rips off an older film as such but the idea of a person (or in this case family) locked away from the outside world is a fairly common one - both in life and in films and in films based on real life occurrences (eg Caspar Hausar).

"I think one of the main culprits of "enjoyed it when I was 16/17 but don't anymore" is Requiem for A Dream. I thought it was great at the time, the only thing I really like about it now is the editing."
I hated Requiem for a Dream. And Pi was ultimately disappointing despite an interesting premise. And the Black Swan was pretty laughable. What else did he do?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Was very disappointed with Dogtooth. Not sure if it rips off an older film as such but the idea of a person (or in this case family) locked away from the outside world is a fairly common one - both in life and in films and in films based on real life occurrences (eg Caspar Hausar).

I hated Requiem for a Dream. And Pi was ultimately disappointing despite an interesting premise. And the Black Swan was pretty laughable. What else did he do?

He did that GREAT film with the fuckign awful CGI where he ends up as a knight or something and then ends up as Buddha or whatever but it's like a total homage to some girl he loved. That one's a ... something, I liked it, can't stand any of his others.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think, from looking at his discography, that that has to be The Fountain. He also did The Wrestler (I never knew that). I haven't seen either of those.

He did that GREAT film with the fuckign awful CGI where he ends up as a knight or something and then ends up as Buddha or whatever but it's like a total homage to some girl he loved. That one's a ... something, I liked it, can't stand any of his others.

Wasn't the Big Thing about The Fountain that no CGI was used, it was all done with beeswax, yak pubes and chicken wire?

http://boingboing.net/2006/10/31/aronofskys-the-fount.html

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

forgot about the wrestler. i think thats his least aronofsky-ish film. also maybe his best, though thats prob predictable to say as its his most serious, character-focused, most classically 'good' film.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Wow. I thought Requiem for a Dream and Pi were incredible. The former for it's editing indeed and the latter for it's magnificent black and white images and the amazing soundtrack! I'd put both films in the opposite thread, films I'd absolutely recommend.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Also for those of you who like or don't like the films by Aronofsky, check out Perfect Blue by Satoshi Kon.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Carnage - the only thing worse than sitting through this appallingly written play/film was reading reviews that seemed to think it had something incredibly profound to say, rather than being fistswallowingly obvious. Wow, middle class politeness is frequently just a veneer for less palatable truths? Wow, like no way!

To compare it to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is beyond insulting.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

the master is good but it seemed like PTA was really, really trying to make a classic in the 70s hollywood tradition and i think it got a bit overlaboured in the process. so it looks incredible, the performances are world class, but it didnt tell me anything new about cults really. i know it prob wasnt meant to, but it felt sketchy, like all the meat was in the surface details and acting, not in the script. i liked all the weird stuff about joaquin phoenix's character and sexuality but i feel like ive seen this kind of relationship, father figure/wayward son who both desperately need each other, before.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Carnage - the only thing worse than sitting through this appallingly written play/film was reading reviews that seemed to think it had something incredibly profound to say, rather than being fistswallowingly obvious. Wow, middle class politeness is frequently just a veneer for less palatable truths? Wow, like no way!

To compare it to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is beyond insulting.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head. It would have been the worst film I'd seen in years...

HAD I NOT SEEN WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

...which may be the worst film I have ever seen. Incredibly angering to sit through.