Trim - Soulfood

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't think so. Maybe HMV will have it to download?

On first listen this is quite a weird one! Definitely looking forward to delving into it properly.

lamp post

Wild Horses
what's everyone think of this? it's my personal favourite of the series so far. 'the low dan' and 'i can c u' are the stand out tracks for me. i've been told radioclit produced 'i can c u' can anyone confirm this?

Benny Bunter

I'm liking 'The low dan' and the radioclit ones the best so far. reckon there's a lot of listening mileage here. This volume's a MASSIVE improvement on the last one (but maybe not quite as good as the first one)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm liking 'The low dan' and the radioclit ones the best so far. reckon there's a lot of listening mileage here. This volume's a MASSIVE improvement on the last one (but maybe not quite as good as the first one)

Much agreed, this is definitely a huge improvement on Soulfood Vol. 2 which really wasn't very cohesive at all and felt more like segments of a radio set than a CD of tunes. Most tunes were very short on Vol. 2, filled with breaks of Trim talking, laughing, etc. A lot of freestyles without choruses, too. Vol. 2 is sort of what I imagine going over to Trim's living room is a bit like.

Vol. 3 is fantastic and a return to form of extremely well-chosen beats (I'm even going to say BETTER chosen: the weird, spacey, dreamlike production of guys like Blackdown, Brains, and Jerzey are perfectly suited to Trim's often surrealist flow), and solid start to finish tunes. He also experiments with his flow a lot more of this volume than he has on other ones (also likely to do with his more left-field selection of beats) - so much so that he sounds different on almost every track. It's funny he mentions an album is on the way on this volume, because I'm certain in my head at least that at this point he is ready for it.

And that track "Old School Bars" where he spits old lyrics over that T Spark beat is his best recorded freestyle so far on any of the Soulfoods. It basically cements for me why, even though his flow is so unconventional and lacking in hype factor (i.e. no "skippy" flows or screaming), that he could still done down most MCs in the game. Trim has gotta be one of the very few MCs whose confidence on tracks is actually warranted.

Last edited:

faustus

And that track "Old School Bars" where he spits old lyrics over that T Spark beat is his best recorded freestyle so far on any of the Soulfoods. It basically cements for me why, even though his flow is so unconventional and lacking in hype factor (i.e. no "skippy" flows or screaming), that he could still done down most MCs in the game. Trim has gotta be one of the very few MCs whose confidence on tracks is actually warranted.

Yep. The bit in that track where he does his bars from 'Major List MCs'... The first time I heard that, so deep i swear.

Wicked mixtape.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm also really happy What Are We Now made it onto the mixtape.
At some point, Trim and Scratch really need to do an album together.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I'm glad people are liking this so much. I think he's by far the most talented MC in grime or, maybe, to have come out of grime so far. I love the way he's always on point, but that his bars disobey a lot of grime's conventions (volume, rhyme schemes etc). rather than flow, he kind of oozes all over a beat and his lyrics, while being way out left of centre, are also fantastically lucid and evocative. for me, the strongest moments are "i can see u" and "the bits", but there's plenty more good stuff here, especially the flow dan disses, which are really funny.

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm also really happy What Are We Now made it onto the mixtape.
At some point, Trim and Scratch really need to do an album together.

yeah, like i said the Scratchy work on this was what caught my ear... it's like Scratch absorbed Trim's whole off-kilter style and adopted it... they really need to make a full album together... honestly, they would be great to market as a duo,,,,

viktorvaughn

Still listening to this pretty much every day since I bought it and haven't touched Riko's really. If you listen to Creeper I and II Trim has grown so much as an MC - less monotone, much more elastic and oozy as Stelfox says, smearing his puns and wordplays over the beat like stinking cheese.

Basically he one of the most captivating MCs I have ever heard in Grime, Hip-hop, Dancehall, Jungle or UKG...