comics

zhao

there are no accidents
Jaime Hernandez's "The Love Bunglers", collected in the last few volumes of Love & Rockets New Stories is just about the most amazing fucking thing I've ever read!

i never could enter their work or understand why it's great... seems like nothing more than soap operas? maybe i should try again... start at the very beginning?

connect_icut

i never could enter their work or understand why it's great... seems like nothing more than soap operas? maybe i should try again... start at the very beginning?

If by "soap operas" you mean "stories about every day people's lives" then I suppose that's fair enough. But, to me, the term implies either "trashy" or "mundane". Neither are true of Jaime's work. Gilberto is another matter and he's produced basically nothing but crap for about the last 15 years but I wasn't talking about him, so let's get back to Jaime. I don't think there's anyone in English language with comics with a better grasp of how to pace a story than Jaime Hernandez. His utter mastery allows him to do audacious things with jump-cuts, dream sequences, flashbacks, montages etc. with total confidence and aplomb. His stuff is technically daring and complex but it's so unflashy and perfectly realised that you might not even notice. As for subject matter, his take on everyday life is utterly believable but he cuts through the mundanity right to the emotional core, without ever needing to be melodramatic or expressionistic - it's all done with hints and suggestions. And while his stuff features it's fare share of nudity, moderately explicit sex etc., it's never trashy. Do yourself a favour - get the big hardback Locas collection and enjoy.

Watchmen is on my American Lit course which is cool, but listening to the folk on my course chat about it is gonna be chronic.

Erm but it's not literature, it's a comic book. And the whole point of Watchmen is that it could only ever be a comic book - the content simply couldn't be expressed through literature or film. Also, it was written by a Brit and illustrated by a Brit, so in what sense is it "American"? You should give whoever's teaching this course hell.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Watchmen is on my American Lit course which is cool, but listening to the folk on my course chat about it is gonna be chronic.

I understand why Watchmen might appear on the syllabus for a literature course, since it is really the only way Universities seem to have found a way to include comics as a serious topic of study (that is, by throwing it in with English Lit programmes), which is a contentious distinction we all just kind of have to live with for the greater good for now; however, how this got categorized as American Lit is just embarrassing for your professor.

zhao

there are no accidents
If by "soap operas" you mean "stories about every day people's lives" then I suppose that's fair enough. But, to me, the term implies either "trashy" or "mundane". Neither are true of Jaime's work. Gilberto is another matter and he's produced basically nothing but crap for about the last 15 years but I wasn't talking about him, so let's get back to Jaime. I don't think there's anyone in English language with comics with a better grasp of how to pace a story than Jaime Hernandez. His utter mastery allows him to do audacious things with jump-cuts, dream sequences, flashbacks, montages etc. with total confidence and aplomb. His stuff is technically daring and complex but it's so unflashy and perfectly realised that you might not even notice. As for subject matter, his take on everyday life is utterly believable but he cuts through the mundanity right to the emotional core, without ever needing to be melodramatic or expressionistic - it's all done with hints and suggestions. And while his stuff features it's fare share of nudity, moderately explicit sex etc., it's never trashy. Do yourself a favour - get the big hardback Locas collection and enjoy.

well dang. if you put it like that i should stop doing myself the disservice and start reading! :) i actually used to (or maybe still do?) have a good chunk of the original series. would you recommend that or should i better look into this "Locas Collection"?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If you don't wanna whip out the fliff on the big hardcover, you could also always start with Maggie The Mechanic, which I think collects the first five years of L&R chronologically. Just arrived in the post for me yesterday.

D

droid

'Crossed' is a piece of work isnt it? Neomnomicon was terribly disappointing...

CrossedPsycho2torture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

connect_icut

Just stumbled across a copy of Batman Annual 11 (1987), which features a story written by Alan Moore! Very exciting for me, as a fan of both Bats and Moore. I thought the only Batman story he'd ever written was The Killing Joke. Does anyone know of any others?

tumblr_lhloy7l1d01qz4ymjo1_500.jpg

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Just stumbled across a copy of Batman Annual 11 (1987), which features a story written by Alan Moore! Very exciting for me, as a fan of both Bats and Moore. I thought the only Batman story he'd ever written was The Killing Joke. Does anyone know of any others?

tumblr_lhloy7l1d01qz4ymjo1_500.jpg

Batman is one of the main characters in the Superman story, "For The Man Who Has Everything", Superman Annual no. 11 (1985).

You can find that, the annual you mentioned, The Killing Joke, and the other stories he did for DC collected in the trade "DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore." It also includes "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" so it's pretty good bang for your buck.

you

Just picked up a few aliens comics, rogue, genocide etc - been enjoying them so far - anything else I could check out?

you

Lol yours! They're arguing about continental philosophy in the dawkins thread on here.

oh dear - looks like they have a propeller down too, I tried to de-binarise the situation by throwing in Meillassoux's argument that God could, in the future exist - though he may not do so presently....

They don't want to hear my views on that shit - fo sho.

I scoped some dude on the tube yesterday reading a comic on an ipad... he was zooming into every window - looked great - anyone do this? Is it 'new toy syndrome' or actually a nice platform comics?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Had a quick browse through some comics at Waterstones today.

I read a few stories from this http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/detail/the-lovecraft-anthology-volume-one and some of the art work in it is fantastic, especially the story (''Haunter In The Dark'' maybe?) illustrated by Shane Ivan Oakley.

hotd%2BPAGE%2B7%2Blow%2Bres.jpg

None of the Lovecraft stories I read were as disturbing as ''The Green River Killer: A True Detective Story'' by Jeff Jansen and Jonathan Case, which I probably would have bought if it wasn't 20 quid (comics are expensive). Seems to be very well illustrated and written from what little I read of it.

6a0120a721c2d7970b0153921a26c4970b-800wi