Where should I eat in London?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
has anyone mentioned The Silk Road in Camberwell? Unbelievably good house-style cabbage and amazing pork belly.. they also do really good pots of tea, which i sometimes think is quite a good barometer for Chinese restaurants.

Yeah, it got mentioned quite a bit upthread. it's a great place - the kebabs are fantastic.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-11661.php - went to this place last night, excellent food, worth knowing about if you ever struggle to find somewhere to eat at London bridge/Borough High St

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

has anyone mentioned The Silk Road in Camberwell? Unbelievably good house-style cabbage and amazing pork belly.. they also do really good pots of tea, which i sometimes think is quite a good barometer for Chinese restaurants.

I love this place!! Their DaPanJi (Big plate chicken) is sensational, one of the nicest things I've ever eaten...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hong Kong Diner on Wardour Street is brilliant while we're on the subject (of good chinese food). go for the stir-fried snow peas

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Seconded on the kebabs at Silk Road.

Afraid I didn't like Gourmet San the twice I went. Made me have bad grammar and everything.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thing is there is so much on the menu and we only had four dishes or something - some of them must be shit. I hated thinking about all the stuff I was missing out on - worried that some of it was better than what we ordered.

mistersloane

Thing is there is so much on the menu and we only had four dishes or something - some of them must be shit. I hated thinking about all the stuff I was missing out on - worried that some of it was better than what we ordered.

Think it's just me with that place, dont mean to be a downer. Glad you liked it :)

mistersloane

Went to 'Dinner' by Heston Blumentahl for the Doc's birthday. First Heston or associated place I been to, really quite something. I laughed through alot of it because my mouth was kind've unused to what it was experiencing. It was all the classic tropes I guess, food as art and all that. Definitely had the best cocktail and the best pudding of my life there, I'd really recommend it for a special special treat place. Just got voted one of the top ten restaurants in the world and it outclassed places I thought were of a similar ilk, really memorable, even if I didnt entirely like everything I got. Oh yeah, and if you do go, order the mashed potato. I cried. Actually cried. It was like God spunked in my mouth.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
1,363. Great stuff, thanks for updating it. trying to think of anywhere I regularly go to add...Pixxa at the bottom of St John's Street does fabulous thin-crust pizza (and arancini) for reasonable prices, well worth dropping by if you're ever in the city during the week. Or after going to Fabric or somewhere at the weekend.

viktorvaughn

Had an idle half hour so I brought the map up to date. Link again as it's a pain to find on page whatever it was: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=203171734466548467562.0004a3275a678b25e12c6

Edit: Apparently the map has been viewed 1,362 times. Impressive.

Nice one.

Frizzante at Hackney city Farm on Thursday does very nice farmhouse style Italian 0 home made pasta, lovely meat and veg and v good house red for £13. It's in a really, casual, unhurried setting also.

Brawn on Columbia road is really nice too - relaxed French inspired stuff with nods to UK and Spain and mega wine list, relaxed, stylish surrounding.

Homeslice mobile pizza is amazing, best pizza i've had in London, they seem to travel around various markets, and have residency on Mondays at the Sebright Arms just of Hackney Rd.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I went to a newish place off Bow Road the other day called Sugarhouse Studios. It's mainly a cinema (which looks pretty cool, all home made wooden seats on a rickety slope) but during the day and (I guess) evening they sell pizzas and they are really good, along the same lines as Franco Manca's in Brixton but about five pounds a pop. Maybe you need three between two to properly fill you up but they are proper tasty and really good value. I'd advise getting along there before they put the prices up.

http://sugarhousestudios.co.uk/cafe/

viktorvaughn

I went to a newish place off Bow Road the other day called Sugarhouse Studios. It's mainly a cinema (which looks pretty cool, all home made wooden seats on a rickety slope) but during the day and (I guess) evening they sell pizzas and they are really good, along the same lines as Franco Manca's in Brixton but about five pounds a pop. Maybe you need three between two to properly fill you up but they are proper tasty and really good value. I'd advise getting along there before they put the prices up.

http://sugarhousestudios.co.uk/cafe/

I've been here too! Went to an Iranian supper club on a massive come down. The food was nearly two hours late but very nice - they showed the England Vs Italy game on the cinema whilst we waited for the food so it worked out pretty well. Pretty cheap prices, I think they are trying to attract people given the slightly odd/horrible location on the main road.

Good atmos tho, I really liked it.

viktorvaughn

Oh yeah does anyone work near Higbury Corner? Cos Trullo are doing a weektime lunch deal of £12 for a starter (or pudding) and a primi (pasta, rissoto etc) which is great as those two things are usually 8 or 9 quid each and the food is excellent.

Their beef shin ragu is serious.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh yeah does anyone work near Higbury Corner? Cos Trullo are doing a weektime lunch deal of £12 for a starter (or pudding) and a primi (pasta, rissoto etc) which is great as those two things are usually 8 or 9 quid each and the food is excellent.

Their beef shin ragu is serious.

looks good, pity it's only on weekdays....