baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
out of principle I refuse to listen to anyone who dresses like a children's entertainer and addresses the audience like they're hearing each word for the first time so Russell Brand isn't someone I'm fond of. politically he's about as infantile as George Galloway too.

basically anyone whose tv manner can be described as anything even approaching 'saucy' is a cunt in my eyes.

i'm hardly a fan of his comedy, but why is publically registering one's support for, for e.g., the campaign against the odious Tory NHS reforms, infantile, when so many of those with celebrity clout failed to utter so much as a word?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In my experience of the - many - misanthropes I've met working in TV production, it's precisely this idea of "giving the people what they want" that's the problem, whilst drinking in wine bars and laughing at the working class.

Fair enough, I was wondering if there was some personal experience behind what you'd said - sounds pretty unsavoury.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Bearing in mind I was typing in a conversation me and the Doc were having...

Pretty serious, to be honest. While I'll defend the Carrs and the Inmans of the world - products of their environment, always defend the weak - it's well documented what I think of people who work in television, and what I think of TV in general. The argument that programmers / curators / DJs just "give the public what they want" is just...not right. In my experience of the - many - misanthropes I've met working in TV production, it's precisely this idea of "giving the people what they want" that's the problem, whilst drinking in wine bars and laughing at the working class.

The homosexual stereotype - the "channelling of a middle aged female coronation street character, badly, that upsets me" - comes from oppression that still isn't borne into equal rights. It comes from the power of the male homosexual as societal threat and it's much better/nicer/tame these rabid queers or they'll FUCK MY ARSE/"fun" to have them as passive characters with handbags who are your girlfriend's BFF.
That doesn't mean that Alan Carr's to be hated. I'm just sick of him being brought up as the target for all that's wrong with light entertainment. Please.

he's a very highly paid extremely successful tv personality. I don't think it counts as defending the weak.

I also don't think he's some naive tool of the tv bosses. I think he's an extremely cynical individual who is at least partly responsible for portraying this soft, non threatening homosexual identity. as someone who has to deal with the consequences of this por(/be)trayal I feel no way to dislike him.

also why do you either seem to get chubby unattractive gays like carr or terrifying robo-fascists like John Barrowman on tv...... simon amstell should be given a chat show.

obviously though comparing ppl who have nothing in common other than their sexuality is the root of the problem anyway.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Jesus, that's fucking annoying; both my dad and sister do it constantly, with the additional irritant of constantly buggering about with the volume control. It's actually worse when it's TV I think.
It's annoying with TV, too, but with car radio you're basically subjected to it for four hours while strapped into position and (in my case) feeling slightly nauseous.

I think the trouble is that it doesn't annoy the person who's doing it - and they don't even realize it's annoying - because they're in control so they know when it's going to change. It's only disorienting when you don't have the control so you can't just relax and listen to it because you don't know when it's going to jump cut to something else.

But fundamentally, it's the stupidity of it that winds me up - if you do this every bloody time then you already know that there isn't some amazing radio station that you'd want to listen to all the way if you could only find it, so why not BRING SOME FUCKING TAPES?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
he's a very highly paid extremely successful tv personality. I don't think it counts as defending the weak.

I also don't think he's some naive tool of the tv bosses. I think he's an extremely cynical individual who is at least partly responsible for portraying this soft, non threatening homosexual identity. as someone who has to deal with the consequences of this por(/be)trayal I feel no way to dislike him.

also why do you either seem to get chubby unattractive gays like carr or terrifying robo-fascists like John Barrowman on tv...... simon amstell should be given a chat show.

obviously though comparing ppl who have nothing in common other than their sexuality is the root of the problem anyway.

Yeah I wondered when I wrote 'weak' whether that was the right term, probably not. What he stands for/represents/exploits I think could be referred to as weak in societal terms, or is seen as such.

I think Amstell did really, really well in getting out of what they were trying to make him (funny queer) and talked about that alot in Grandma's House. I've got alot of respect for him. I don't think he'd want a chat show, now, and that was what he was saying in Grandma's House. But god knows.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Yeah I wondered when I wrote 'weak' whether that was the right term, probably not. What he stands for/represents/exploits I think could be referred to as weak in societal terms, or is seen as such.

I think Amstell did really, really well in getting out of what they were trying to make him (funny queer) and talked about that alot in Grandma's House. I've got alot of respect for him. I don't think he'd want a chat show, now, and that was what he was saying in Grandma's House. But god knows.

yh don't get me wrong, I'm confident I'd beat him in an arm wrestle.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
the simon amstell line was tongue in cheek lol. I do love him though. he should be given a weekly hour long show on BBC Four in which him and Tim Key just chat.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
I think you should challenge him to one. I'd love to see him arm wrestling.

maybe I'll start challenging celebrities to arm wrestles. that can be my gimmick. seems like everyone has to have one in the age of twitter. suppose I'd perversely end up becoming some sort of celebrity too; I'd have to spend my days snorting coke and attempting to wrestle myself.

e/y

Cartoon-special-Stephen-C-002.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/cartoon/2012/jul/20/cartoonist-worldview-stephen-collins

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
A simple, generic one, but:

Drivers who don't indicate and then blame pedestrians for their own inability to do so. Cyclists who charge on through red lights while pedestrians are crossing (I don't know what the law is on this, but I do know it's sufficiently stupid to make me angry).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love Modern Toss. Great office ones I've see include the guy saying to the bloke at the desk oppposite "Can I use your pencil sharpener?" and the other bloke replies "Haha brilliant, do you mind if I twitter that?"

Also liked the man saying to his boss "My wife is having a baby. It's not mine but I can I have a couple of weeks off anyway?"