baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Usain Bolt: "If I'm at a championship, like in Korea, Japan and these places where the food is not normal food, I always have nuggets,"

Not 'normal food'? Are you 11 years old? Ffs Japanese food's (arguably) the best on the planet, you very fast doofus.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ah sure, it works for him, it was the way he was characterising foreign food like a picky teenager that got me.

Who was the guy who beat him? Ah OK, Yohan Blake, Googled it. Hard to tell how much Bolt is holding back. But Blake did 19.26 for the 200 last year apparently, so Bolt has defintiely got a race on his hands. Which is good.

There's a British 18-year-old who ran 10:05 the other day, who looks like he could be a contender for the 100m final.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw the races, I don't think he was holding back, he wanted to win and the crowd was pretty shocked. Apparently this Blake guy has a special training regime where he only eats dim sum, szechuan chicken and dog.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I saw the races, I don't think he was holding back, he wanted to win and the crowd was pretty shocked. Apparently this Blake guy has a special training regime where he only eats dim sum, szechuan chicken and dog.

excellent. and for that i give you a portrait of the defeated Usain Bolt that you can frame at home:

Yohan Blake was off eating Peking duck while Usain was sitting for this photograph.

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
True! Tremendous vision from the Robert Dyas employee in retrospect.

On my first day at Dyas :)cool:) an employee took me round the ironmongery dept saying "here's the hammers...prety self-explanatory...here's the nails...pretty self-explanatory..." about everything, so perhaps not so much an attitude as being not the most dangerous knife in the drawer or whatever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On my first day at Dyas :)cool:) an employee took me round the ironmongery dept saying "here's the hammers...prety self-explanatory...here's the nails...pretty self-explanatory..." about everything, so perhaps not so much an attitude as being not the most dangerous knife in the drawer or whatever.

Only one step away from the famous unused Borat scene: "That's cheese...that's cheese...that's cheese..."

IdleRich

IdleRich
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...le-racist-fake

My brain hurts.

i thought the reaction to the Diane Abbott 'scandal', when she made every white person fear for their safety on the streets by suggesting that there might just be a racially-inflected history of 'dividing and ruling' in the world, was a nadir in sheer stupidity and disavowal of reality. Seems not.
But choc-ice doesn't mean "fake" does it? Or only in as much as it means "fake black man" or race-traitor. It's a pretty nasty thing to say. I can see that it could open up a can of worms.
Sounds like Ashley Cole's statement (via his lawyers) is basically the first sensible thing I've ever heard him say or do.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But choc-ice doesn't mean "fake" does it? Or only in as much as it means "fake black man" or race-traitor. It's a pretty nasty thing to say. I can see that it could open up a can of worms.
Sounds like Ashley Cole's statement (via his lawyers) is basically the first sensible thing I've ever heard him say or do.

Didn't read the statement tbh.

Agreed it's a nasty thing to say (and Rio had to lie about what it meant to avoid, absurdly, being branded a 'racist') and no doubt very hurtful to Ashley Cole, along the lines of calling someone an 'Uncle Tom'. I personally think Rio should be targetting the FA for refusing to do anything about the whole thing, and not Ashley Cole, cos he was also put in an impossible situation. Anyways, obviously what is being said is racially charged, but for people to describe it as 'racist' is just...no, my brain hurts again.

The effect of this whole sorry trial has been to make it even more difficult to talk about the realities of race in and around football (and the silencing of Rio Ferdinand is part of that - the conversation should be out in the open rather than curtailed by absurdly calling 'racism', whatever its merits, as these are real feelings about a white-dominated football establishment that chose to drop Rio at the Euros rather than John Terry, redirected towards Ashley Cole for his perceived collusion with the white establishment. Sweeping them under the carpet is the whole problem, and clearly nothing has been learned). We'll wait to see if the FA do anything.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh Cole just said something like "Rio is a good mate of Ashley and he (Ashley) realises people say silly things on Twitter so he's just gonna forget it".
Seems that the Terry thing could have all kinds of repercussions but it's not clear at all that they will be the right ones. I gotta say I always had a feeling that the trial wasn't gonna get a result, these things are so hard to actually proove.