BareBones

wheezy
It's the false complicity, as you rightly pointed out. Same as Pret a Manger - "We like to save the environment as much as you do. If our staff give you too many napkins, feel free to tell them off". Hideous and nasty.

Yeah that's grim. The Go Compare one takes it to a whole other level though I think - the whole thing is just so creepy

just remembered there's a thread somewhere specifically about adverts isn't there

Leo

602335_343780125697489_1785587750_n.jpg

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Right, this second wave of Go Compare adverts. Has anyone mentioned these yet? Cos they are truly sickening. The ones where they're now adopting this attitude of false complicity with the audience, like "yes, we hate that singer too! Let's blow him up!" - along with all the new pre-defaced billboards everywhere. Billboards that are designed to look as if someone has bothered to spraypaint these tame, pre-watershed insults on them. Leaving aside the fact that they've got Sue Barker as the one with the bazooka in the TV ads because, ho ho, that's hilarious isn't it? ISN'T IT?!

There's something so fucking insidious and manipulative about this kind of advertising which I can't quite articulate properly and i'm hoping someone here will help me out.

yh i hate these lol your dissent is repackaged and used to sell the original product back to you. luckily I only make impulsive decisions based on as few factors as possible so 'gocompare' is completely useless to me. and i can't drive.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
It's the false complicity, as you rightly pointed out. Same as Pret a Manger - "We like to save the environment as much as you do. If our staff give you too many napkins, feel free to tell them off". Hideous and nasty.

sometimes I pop in there just to cover my face and elbows in meatball sauce and then sit staring wildly at the staff, wiping myself down with a mink handkerchief.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sometimes I pop in there just to cover my face and elbows in meatball sauce and then sit staring wildly at the staff, wiping myself down with a mink handkerchief.

The staff in there are creepy - I don't think you could out-stare them. It's as if they've been trained in how to be as insincerely and unnervingly over-friendly as possible, but without a trace of actual friendliness. Not their fault, company policy, I'm sure.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
The staff in there are creepy - I don't think you could out-stare them. It's as if they've been trained in how to be as insincerely and unnervingly over-friendly as possible, but without a trace of actual friendliness. Not their fault, company policy, I'm sure.

I'm convinced it's adapted from the social connivances of countless northern men who have mastered the art of being really friendly in an increasingly threatening way.

that said, I can out-stare a stuffed owl.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Definitely not just a northern thing. A British thing, perhaps. 'Alright mate' can sometimes be the most chilling phrase known to man.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's just American, isn't it all? All that awful "Have a wonderful day!" stuff, with beaming toothy smile and aggressively maintained eye contact throughout the whole transaction.

I'm not sure which is worse, that or the typical British style whereby the customer is basically ignored as a person and treated simply as a 'customer' in the most bare-bones economic sense of an entity that provides money in exchange for goods.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
It's just American, isn't it all? All that awful "Have a wonderful day!" stuff, with beaming toothy smile and aggressively maintained eye contact throughout the whole transaction.

I'm not sure which is worse, that or the typical British style whereby the customer is basically ignored as a person and treated simply as a 'customer' in the most bare-bones economic sense of an entity that provides money in exchange for goods.

I got asked for ID when buying superglue the other week, only realised once outside the shop that I'd been taken for a feckless addict.

viktorvaughn

I got asked for ID when buying superglue the other week, only realised once outside the shop that I'd been taken for a feckless addict.

I got ID-ed for buying a magnetic knife rack because it was in the knife cabinet! When I pointed out that it wasn't a knife they guy just repeated it blankly and got the manager.

Totally insane.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I got ID-ed for buying a magnetic knife rack because it was in the knife cabinet! When I pointed out that it wasn't a knife they guy just repeated it blankly and got the manager.

Totally insane.

People who mindlessly follow orders like that are the people who actually perpetrated the Holocaust.

BTW, congrats on the 3,000th PBIDMHI post.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Totally insane.

But if you were allowed a magnetic knife rack, your potential for possessing a dangerous weapon would be upgraded to the potential for possessing a dangerous weapon that you could store securely.

They were right to be cautious.

viktorvaughn

But if you were allowed a magnetic knife rack, your potential for possessing a dangerous weapon would be upgraded to the potential for possessing a dangerous weapon that you could store securely.

They were right to be cautious.

True! Tremendous vision from the Robert Dyas employee in retrospect.