simon silverdollar

on a related note, i just got this in my inbox from some PR:

"I have a great story for you:

Last Saturday seminal dance artist The Sugarman DJ'd at the Kabaua Club
in Spain
using only two Nokia N95 phones. They did so by utilising the mp3
memory on both
and then followed through with a headlining set three hours long."

not sure that it is such a great story, in itself, but it could be interesting if this becomes commonplace, as people might stop demanding the dj plays requests and just start plugging their phones in the mixer instead (as happened to bun-u?)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"What about people who want to MC?"
Now that's another kettle of fish entirely. One time we had to relocate at the last minute to a new venue and (unfortunately) there was a microphone plugged in to the mixer. This bloke first requested the Arctic Monkeys and when (guess what?) I didn't have it he grabbed the mic and started chatting. Everyone seemed to think it was something that I wanted to happen and annoyingly he was quite good. Luckily someone managed to pull the microphone out and hide it before he completely upstaged me.
Edit: the music he was mc-ing over was most likely some Turkish moog funk

john eden

male pale and stale
Best mentalist I have had the pleasure of witnessing was some bloke who was completely off his tits at the 121 Centre in Brixton. Me and some friends were doing what I guess you would call the chill out room, whilst DJ Scud et all did their thing in the basement.

This guy was insistent about having "a go" on the decks (with our records!) and had these unbelievably long and complex theories about what he was going to do, culminating in using the 33/45 button to slow things down and therefore make the entire crowd of people travel through time and space.

This came to an abrupt end when my friend (who was new to dj-ing and was finding it difficult to concentrate with all the jabbering) told him to fuck off.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't think the whole DJ as jukebox idea is very foward looking. You need musical visionaries who are a bit single-minded to push things foward.
Imagine Ron Hardy playing the music box in '86 and some gimp coming up to him with a 7 inch record asking "Can you play this A-ha tune for my girlfriend? She's getting bored of all this weird "house" music."

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

This guy was insistent about having "a go" on the decks (with our records!) and had these unbelievably long and complex theories about what he was going to do, culminating in using the 33/45 button to slow things down and therefore make the entire crowd of people travel through time and space.

That's priceless! I can just imagine the guy off his face with all these theories.

Alfons

Way of the future

That's hillarious.

I once had a similar experience a guy told me he was like steve reich but with turntables and could he please have a short go. I told him no and he then asked if he could get into the backstage room, when I told him no again he recited a freestyle poem in my ear, something about function of the spirit etc etc... then he asked again if he could get backstage as if his poem recital would justify his being there.

he recited a freestyle poem in my ear, something about function of the spirit etc etc.

was this in Bristol? I think i've met him as well.... or maybe there's a few of them.
MCs are always awful except once I had a passable UKG MC get on with me. I really enjoyed it personally.
Also a guy in Germany shouted over a whole set of mine in weird german english, I really enjoyed it and have now booked him to appear with me in Berlin :)

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
was this in Bristol? I think i've met him as well.... or maybe there's a few of them.
MCs are always awful except once I had a passable UKG MC get on with me. I really enjoyed it personally.
Also a guy in Germany shouted over a whole set of mine in weird german english, I really enjoyed it and have now booked him to appear with me in Berlin :)

Not had owt like that but I'd like to see that gig in Berlin :) I once had someone ask if I could slow the record down so he could do the robot to it :cool:

mms

sometimes
i djed at a party once where the decks belonged to this french hip hop dj who was a total prick. He really imagined he was a great dj and couldn't play a record without doing some terrible scratching or twisting the eqs throughout the record as if his hearing aid was playing up or something, i got to play a few records while the twat stood over me neurotically watching his decks and trying to twist the eq knobs.

The let me have a go-just one mix people are funny aren't they?
it's quite a common thing the mess head that wants a go.
the people that are really unhappy seem to be having a bad night anyway, or are really ugly.

Chris

fractured oscillations

ahhhh acid...

Although on the other hand (as I think was mentioned upthread), an audience who's tripping or rolling are probably much more likely to go along with your selection...

Not that I'm condoning the use of anything (haven't done acid or x for years), but would most of the ravers back in the day even have been open to abstract beat music in the first place, without ecstacy expanding their sensibilities? Drugs might just be a dj's best friend, hate to say. I almost think that truly experimental dance movements (and open-minded audiences) are unlikely to re-emerge on a large scale, unless there's some kind of drug fueling the scene... and I'd feel a bit guilty to hope or suggest that this should happen, despite loving experimentalism in music (and the occasional vice or whatever). I've seen too many kid's serotonin levels screwed up to ever recommend it to anyone. It does seem though that with the decline of ecstacy, also went a certain level of open-mindedness in the dj's audience. :slanted:

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

ahhhh acid...

Although on the other hand (as I think was mentioned upthread), an audience who's tripping or rolling are probably much more likely to go along with your selection...

Not that I'm condoning the use of anything (haven't done acid or x for years), but would most of the ravers back in the day even have been open to abstract beat music in the first place, without ecstacy expanding their sensibilities? Drugs might just be a dj's best friend, hate to say. I almost think that truly experimental dance movements (and open-minded audiences) are unlikely to re-emerge on a large scale, unless there's some kind of drug fueling the scene... and I'd feel a bit guilty to hope or suggest that this should happen, despite loving experimentalism in music (and the occasional vice or whatever). I've seen too many kid's serotonin levels screwed up to ever recommend it to anyone. It does seem though that with the decline of ecstacy, also went a certain level of open-mindedness in the dj's audience. :slanted:

Yeah i think there should be a drugs and music thread to discuss this more fully. It's very interesting.