woebot's djing post

Alfons

Way of the future
was this in Bristol? I think i've met him as well.... or maybe there's a few of them.

This was in Iceland, but who knows maybe the guy travels a bit :rolleyes:

petergunn said:
EQing someone else's set is such bad form, but people do it surprisenly often...

This happens all to often, Im happy to get pointers if the sound is off (although the people who offer "their help" in eqing are rarely good sound engineers) but don't touch the mixer without asking me!

elgato

I just dont know
i could never imagine standing up on ketamine let alone dancing. i can't see how it'd be an enjoyable experience.

i actually love dancing on k, so long as its the right amount. even the wrong amount can make for an interesting one! if a bit twisted. not for the regs though. strangely though, often i've found it more immersive in a club than dissociative, but i guess it depends a lot on mood / environment

viktorvaughn

i actually love dancing on k, so long as its the right amount. even the wrong amount can make for an interesting one! if a bit twisted. not for the regs though. strangely though, often i've found it more immersive in a club than dissociative, but i guess it depends a lot on mood / environment

I love doing K after doing pills in a club but got put off doing it in clubs by doing too much seeing Skull Disco and having a deep and vaguely nasty experience.

Know what you mean about it being immersive at the right levels though, i've found it quite affectionate also!

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
I love doing K after doing pills in a club but got put off doing it in clubs by doing too much seeing Skull Disco and having a deep and vaguely nasty experience.

yeh if you go at it hard then its not a hedonistic thing anymore! experiences worth having though in my opinion! must've been interesting with Skull Disco!

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
after pills i can handle k and just about function (though i will end up on the floor) but if i just have it straight its just like going into a coma. its one of those drugs where you don't feel like you're coming up, more that your central nervous system is shutting down haha.

viktorvaughn

yeh if you go at it hard then its not a hedonistic thing anymore! experiences worth having though in my opinion! must've been interesting with Skull Disco!

To be honest i can barely remember any of it. Remember coming out of the hole and this feeling of escaping recent trauma and moving upwards and then hearing Vansan which was nice!

In the hole I has absolutely no sensory comprehension beyond what my brain was processing at any given split-second. Didn't know my name, what city i was in, what the music was, what the wetness was when I blew my nose down myself etc. Not good, but live and learn eh!

Chris

fractured oscillations
Yeah i think there should be a drugs and music thread to discuss this more fully. It's very interesting.

Yeah, totally. I'll probably start one soon, or if any one else wants to...? I'm a bit busy today myself...

I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said that a large amount of the music we're into wasn't extremely influenced by drugs (not to say that was the only influence by any means, but...).

*again... I'm not condoning it, kids out there in messageboard land... ;)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Best mentalist I have had the pleasure of witnessing was some bloke who was completely off his tits at the 121 Centre in Brixton. Me and some friends were doing what I guess you would call the chill out room, whilst DJ Scud et all did their thing in the basement.

You played 121? Reeeeeespec.

tom pr

My mate ( female ) punched a DJ in the face once at a bar in Brixton after an evening of inexorable music, I can't remember whether it was Simply Red or Lighthouse Family that caused it. It was wrong, none of us laughed, but none of us chastised her either.
Brilliantly, my mate was DJing at some thing in Guildford recently when some prat who'd been hanging around by the decks all night started trying to scratch. After he'd ignored a few requests to piss off, my friend's girlfriend (who I went to school with and always considered quite passive) strolled through the crowd and knocked the bloke out!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Brilliantly, my mate was DJing at some thing in Guildford recently when some prat who'd been hanging around by the decks all night started trying to scratch. After he'd ignored a few requests to piss off, my friend's girlfriend (who I went to school with and always considered quite passive) strolled through the crowd and knocked the bloke out!

I fucking love no nonsense women.

OK so how about those DJs who aggressively hassle you to let them play?

Once in Germany a DJ literally pulled the plug on my live set so he could go on.
Last night the next DJ started asking me to stop playing when I was on my third record (and I mix fast!)
I played 30 mins in the end.

These days I just fuck off if someone is giving me hassle, I have DJed long enough not to be desperate to get on the decks, as long as the promoter still wants to pay me I am cool. If he's not happy then he can sort out the other DJ's attitude for me!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Last night the next DJ started asking me to stop playing when I was on my third record (and I mix fast!)"
That's just plain fucking rude. If someone had done that to him I bet he would have gone mental, why is it that so many people (not just djs of course) just don't treat people in the way that they would be expected to be treated themselves? I just would like to know what is going through someone's mind when they behave like that and how they justify it to themselves.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'm sure Edward's sets are very enjoyable but what if the DJ before you is just unbearable? Wouldn't you be itching to get in there? In those instances I think hanging around being friendly and encouraging works quite well.

Re: MCs I once had a local hip-hop MC and 'character' jump on the mic while I was playing a few records at a friend's student night in a club. It was actually really fun to have this nutter freestyling over See Emily Play and Vitamin C. Kids seemed to like it too.

Last edited:
Yes I am up for mad MCs.

But for DJing slots, I reckon let's all stick to the slots the promoter gave us and be cool. I DJ after shit DJs often but I don't give them a hard time, I try to turn up for my slot about 5 minutes after it was due to start and get out my records and then wait until they notice I am there.

As to what goes through people's minds when they are being selfish, I think it's something along the lines of ME ME ME I WANT WHAT I WANT NOW.

Perhaps you should refer me to the misanthropy thread but I think a very large proportion of people never move beyond the childish condition of believing themselves the centre of the universe and it never occurs to them that other humans are the same kind of things as themselves.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
But for DJing slots, I reckon let's all stick to the slots the promoter gave us and be cool. I DJ after shit DJs often but I don't give them a hard time, I try to turn up for my slot about 5 minutes after it was due to start and get out my records and then wait until they notice I am there.

Yeah absolutely right, I didn't want to sound like I am a desperado - just playing devil's advocate and really I was thinking about less formally organised affairs like house parties and so on. Is it so bad to feel a sense of duty towards everyone having a good time? Ha, that still sounds like I'm a PITA deck monster - I'm not, honest!

Last edited: