alex

Do not read this.
getting off the topic of what he wrote anyway, (and getting back to letting the music speak for itself) the new Applepips is amazing, (why cant he write about this, no, stop, NO MORE........) I mean it is literally mind-bending music. Ramadanman is on top of it right now, props to blim aswell...quality release.

mms

sometimes
That's simply not true marcus, he raved about garage at the time and subsequently, corresponded with me about it at the time etc.

he did rave a bit with the adult hardcore piece, but was critical of garage's slickness, and sophistication esp in energy flash, he also sets it up against it'ds contemporary big beat too, which he compares to the spirit of rave or whatever. He only really really got into it when mcs came into play i would say. but don't take it from me it's in the book.

gumdrops

theres that piece in that last anthology of his where he talks about really hating the atmosphere/conspicuous consumption/wealth flaunting of garage clubs...

mms

sometimes
theres that piece in that last anthology of his where he talks about really hating the atmosphere/conspicuous consumption/wealth flaunting of garage clubs...

in energy flash, he's not really that into garage at that point.
thats almost by the by though, if you've ever read anything by him you know the territory of his tastes.
For the record that 16 bit, although it's virtually unlistenable does nail that sound and sort of put it in a comedy context, it's sort of cartoonishly brilliant in that way, i can't imagine wanting to listen to more than one track like that though personally.

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
isn't the biggest issue that simon thinks it's one or the other? what happened to all the stuff in between like brackles and untold? the "would you rather..." scenario doesn't really exist imo.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sort of put it in a comedy context, it's sort of cartoonishly brilliant in that way, i can't imagine wanting to listen to more than one track like that though personally.

neither can I but isn't this akin to the whole toytown ardkore thing, e.g. "Charlie", "Sesame's Treet" & all that. I thought the point was more that the proliferation of totally naff cheesy tunes was an indicator of the health of a scene, not for the tunes themselves which are after all mostly terrible, tho admittedly that wasn't the piece's tone. I've a suspicion it's mostly just to wind up people up.

also I would say give it a few years cos he & a bunch of other older junglists I reckon have come around to look back fondly on Wax Doctor - comments relating to Hyph Mngo aside - PFM, tons of other ambient jungle stuff (everyone except Alex Reece, really) that was supposed to be the Enemy at the time or whatever. tho as someone said this doesn't exactly have the drama of functionalist hardstep vs. jazzy/post-ambient/fuzak or whatever.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
I would rather be where there is a place for both of these types of tunes.
Far away from the land of the false dichotomy.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I would rather be where there is a place for both of these types of tunes.
Far away from the land of the false dichotomy.

yep its a sign of rude health as padraig points out, also you don't have to like all of it, there is a choice cos lots of ppl are making different sounds, that's a distinction that's only happened in dubstep in the last year and a half or so really, which is why reynolds can make points like this while before he culda more easily dismissed all of dubstep as being dark and gloomy or whatever.
I'm beginning to think that dance music i the uk at least is really going to turn a corner in the next 6 months or so, it's all quite exciting at the mo.

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
yep its a sign of rude health as padraig points out, also you don't have to like all of it.

As much as the consensus here on dissensus seems to be that some of the crazy noisy stuff is crap. I have to say i like some of it. Even the Chainsaw Caligraphy one that Reynold's praises. He does have a point that it harkens back to the art of noise etc... in a way.

At the same time I love Joy Orbison's hyph mngo and I personally reject the notion that there has to be only an either/ or dilemma when choosing what music I create/play/like/dance to.

The false dilemma is a great tool for creating controversy though :D

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Judging by the show last Friday and the conversations I was having - not least with Joy Orbison but also with Ben UFO, Atki2, Dub Boy etc etc - it's already turned the corner!

More excited now than I've been since 2005...

mms

sometimes
neither can I but isn't this akin to the whole toytown ardkore thing, e.g. "Charlie", "Sesame's Treet" & all that. I thought the point was more that the proliferation of totally naff cheesy tunes was an indicator of the health of a scene, not for the tunes themselves which are after all mostly terrible, tho admittedly that wasn't the piece's tone. I've a suspicion it's mostly just to wind up people up.

also I would say give it a few years cos he & a bunch of other older junglists I reckon have come around to look back fondly on Wax Doctor - comments relating to Hyph Mngo aside - PFM, tons of other ambient jungle stuff (everyone except Alex Reece, really) that was supposed to be the Enemy at the time or whatever. tho as someone said this doesn't exactly have the drama of functionalist hardstep vs. jazzy/post-ambient/fuzak or whatever.

it's not got the drama, it's not got the bug eyed rude avant aspect as well, i woudn't call that 8 bit track chessy, it's a fairly good concept and it's a fucking horrible racket too, much more closer to power electroncs or something, the aural equivalent of watching all the saw movies.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
back on topic re the sully question..

Definitely grab that phonebox ep - one of the best releases of the last 2 years.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
padraig said:
also I would say give it a few years cos he & a bunch of other older junglists I reckon have come around to look back fondly on Wax Doctor

a lot of early basement stuff was repressed recently, i didn't realise until then that he also did all this stuff

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alex

Do not read this.
oh yes, and also the latest 12 on Hemlock (james blake) is working wonders.

Its like grime & r & b got trapped in a lift & the doors keep opening & shutting

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Its like grime & r & b got trapped in a lift & the doors keep opening & shutting

heh yuuur. james blake intrigues me, air and a lack thereof is such a wicked track, got such a friendly swagger to it. he sings too yknow and apparently he's also doing a collab with untold and lv (according to untold's twitter).

Blackdown

nexKeysound

i've always maintained one of the possible great avenues for dubstep is this grime crossed with timbaland r&b at 140, be it this tune, Grievous' Harpy, 2000F 'you dont know what love is', r&g etc. my "dis/East" was certainly on this flex...