benjybars

village elder.

lazybrowndog

i just found some of the theorizing/nuum politics a bit desperate - i think he writes brilliantly when he's describing music and all his stuff is very knowledgeable and passionate but i really dislike how he is always applying this narrative to the development of the music - i just find it frustrating - it doesn't chime with my own experience of getting into and listening to electronic music even though we listened to lots of similar stuff across the same stretch of time - maybe its just the difference between being from london and not being from london - but i don't think so ... i think its summat to do with the attitude he brings to it - dunno looking back on his different books i feel rip it up was a bit more honest - energy flash seems a little forced in parts - to be fair completely clueless dickhead is way off the mark - but it did make me laugh :D

gumdrops

dont personally think joker has much to do with any of the ppl blissblogger mentioned (Terror Danjah/Davinche/Low Deep). not aggy enough to be davinche or as perfectionist/minimal as terror. im not sure what grime producers you can say he sounds like or is in the lineage of really. maybe wileys 'funkier' moments or a funkier lusher rapid.

luka

i think there's something to be said for music writers that can write. its not something that can be said of any of his adversaries is it, lets face it. fucking amateur hour.
(not you slackk, you don't get paid to write.)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think the very heatedness of the debate Reynolds throws up on this board is enlightening in itself - a great many people at Dissensus (and I include myself in this) have taken it somewhat personally that his critical writing seems so off-point these days. And the only reason this would happen is if those same people valued his work intensely in the first place. As unoriginal as this may be, I still have to say that Energy Flash undoubtedly changed my musical life more than any other book I've read, especially in the days before the internet made almost every obscure question answerable within seconds (I still struggle to get my head round how different it was, before - people went to bed with questions rattling around in their head....).

Edit: And to echo a point above, his writing is a peg or two above most music scribes.

But really, Simon, Hyph Mngo is great.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
The way he's disabled comments is nang

you like it? or have you just made a slang mishtake?

i don't know what the problem is, one of reynolds key aesthetics is to take the rude and raw over the polished, and that track is pretty boring and the guys name is silly, lets face it.
Are you lot sad really cos a track you love isn't getting his approval?

i think there's something to be said for music writers that can write. its not something that can be said of any of his adversaries is it, lets face it. fucking amateur hour.
(not you slackk, you don't get paid to write.)

Yeah I think Simon Reynolds is actually a very good writer. His style is very persuasive as well.
I don't know, I think there's some truth to what he says really, but it's certainly a much wider picture than anyone can summarise to be frank. London's too much of a tapestry to synthesise into a theory.

As for the wobble argument, as much as I'm not a fan, as someone who clearly favours the messier, more strewn together sound of hardcore and early grime and post-punk, it makes perfect sense for him to favour wobble driven manic sounding dubstep than the much more tasteful (and occasionally very pedestrian) stuff that's running alongside it. I don't see the point in getting het up over one man's personal preference- especially when it ties in with his other tastes anyway.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
you like it? or have you just made a slang mishtake?

i don't know what the problem is, one of reynolds key aesthetics is to take the rude and raw over the polished, and that track is pretty boring and the guys name is silly, lets face it.
Are you lot sad really cos a track you love isn't getting his approval?

No, that's not what I meant, I am sure I will waste my time explaining what i meant by saying it's "nang", however I am sure most people know what I mean by it.

And no, not really, I dont give 2 shits for his approval, he obviously wanted a reaction from people after writing it. He must suffer from intense boredom.

mms

sometimes
No, that's not what I meant, I am sure I will waste my time explaining what i meant by saying it's "nang", however I am sure most people know what I mean by it.

And no, not really, I dont give 2 shits for his approval, he obviously wanted a reaction from people after writing it. He must suffer from intense boredom.

you don't have to explain, we can all read, it's just a strange thing to say that it's great that he's disabled his comments. thats all.

simon reynolds is a writer, what he's written is a scenario and a personal opinion really,

anyway this is like the blissblog comments section, dissensus, oddly, given it's name, should be called consensus

So, quick question en masse;

How long before the funky influenced side of dubstep (seeing as there's so much of it now) splinters off into it's own scene entirely- or, indeed is absorbed by funky.

I've heard Roska talking about making funkystep a couple of times now.

More importantly, what name shall it have.

mos dan

fact music
you don't have to explain, we can all read, it's just a strange thing to say that it's great that he's disabled his comments. thats all.

that's obviously sarcasm marcus, cmon.

the track sounds fucking amazing in plastic people, it absolutely went off when untold dropped it at fwd (followed by two extraordinary genre-defying dubs, fwiw - one by untold himself, one by trg). it's a good example of when judging things on youtube rips can lead you astray.

@baboon and @marcus getting a bit bored of people saying that the fuss reynolds creates is eye-opening/significant in itself. people said this in response to the wonKy piece in the guardian too: "you're only annoyed because you want him to agree with you" - no, we're annoyed because it's bullshit and he is regarded as a tremendous authority as a critic, so when he talks fraff, a lot of people, especially people outside of this board, are going to take it as fact (blog posts by ignorants immediately sprung up following the 'wonKy' piece saying "wow, apparently the new thing on the wonky scene is ketamine!!!"). *that* is the only reason it erks me.

still, i do think it's kinda funny that he would put such a staunchly contrarian case - i'm amused as much as i am irritated :)

finally, 'this board should be called consensus'? eh? are we or are we not disagreeing here?

mos dan

fact music
So, quick question en masse;

How long before the funky influenced side of dubstep (seeing as there's so much of it now) splinters off into it's own scene entirely- or, indeed is absorbed by funky.

I've heard Roska talking about making funkystep a couple of times now.

More importantly, what name shall it have.

someone from dpr keeps trying to send me links to 'funky dubstep' on twitter.. i'll see if i can find it.

mms

sometimes
that's obviously sarcasm marcus, cmon.

the track sounds fucking amazing in plastic people, it absolutely went off when untold dropped it at fwd (followed by two extraordinary genre-defying dubs, fwiw - one by untold himself, one by trg). it's a good example of when judging things on youtube rips can lead you astray.

@baboon and @marcus getting a bit bored of people saying that the fuss reynolds creates is eye-opening/significant in itself. people said this in response to the wonKy piece in the guardian too: "you're only annoyed because you want him to agree with you" - no, we're annoyed because it's bullshit and he is regarded as a tremendous authority as a critic, so when he talks fraff, a lot of people, especially people outside of this board, are going to take it as fact (blog posts by ignorants immediately sprung up following the 'wonKy' piece saying "wow, apparently the new thing on the wonky scene is ketamine!!!"). *that* is the only reason it erks me.

thats the complete polar opposite of what i've said.

all i've got from this thread is that simon reynolds is shit lost it etc, because he likes a different song to the approved dubstep anthem that all the nice boys like.
Oh and its bad that he doesn't have a comments box, so people can't call him lost it on his own page presumably, cos that's a universal right of the internet isn't it...

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.

simon reynolds is a writer, what he's written is a scenario and a personal opinion really,

anyway this is like the blissblog comments section, dissensus, oddly, given it's name, should be called consensus

i think you are attracted more to the idea of him trying to get people's backs up, rather than agreeing with him on the actual contents of the article...

16 bit, chainsaw massacre, Really??