Leo

i've always liked shackleton. obviously not the guy to go to for "catchy tunes" but for the sound and feel, i love his rolling, cinematic/soundtrack-like pieces, like an updated/slightly less-experimental version of muslimgauze or something. only listened to the pinch collaboration a couple of times and yeah, not a favorite of his stuff. still love the old skull disco singles, those fat grooves spinning at 45 rpms really can crush your skull.

CrowleyHead

I said it when I was a little "A-goo", but Shackleton always feels something akin to jazz to me, if you will. Always long-flowing, very cerebral and not exactly dance-floor material.

Ory

warp drive
early skull disco is just essential. haven't really felt the need to revisit his 3 EPs or fabric mix though, tbh.

rubberdingyrapids

always thought he was straining a bit too hard to be deep/moody/depressing but with everything in grey, which made it all a bit monochrome/one-note/dreary for my liking. liked the early appleblim stuff more than shackleton. i think i might have liked shackleton more if his tracks were a bit beefier. seemed like it was always the same old sounds and drum kits being used.

Phaedo

Hey hey hey, I didn't mean these things as negative context! It's just a little less obvious compared to most dubstep!

less obvious, yes. dunno about it not being dancefloor material though. lots of groove, and lots of bass, works in a way closer to techno than dubstep I guess

Elijah

Butterz
At least he's not as bad as Elijah if you want to play that game.

The dude comments and remarks on things outside of his own personal/label output.

I post when I have something positive to add elsewhere. I posted in the DJs that you like thread recently. Not a lot else has caught my ear here. I always check it though to see what people are listening to.

Local Authority

bitch city
Saw Shackleton at Sub:stance vs Ostgut Ton and it was one of the funkiest, colourful sets I've heard.

Better to dance too than half time and 4 to the floor music.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
He's good live, does make you dance a bit

Yeah Shackleton live last year was a dancing revelation for me. :D
I did used to be a bit underwhelmed by Shackleton - fairly sure there's some old thread on here where I was semi-moaning about him - but at some point his sound just clicked with me. I think the way he puts together and structures his tunes means that they always have a flow to them, and this is was stops them from feeling either too oppressive or too dull even when they're fairly sparse. Or that's the best that I could explain it anyway.
The collab album with Pinch might not be my absolute favorite from him but it does still have excellent tracks. His Fabric 55 CD is just fantastic I think.

benw

Shackleton live was definitely the moment when it 'clicked' for me...his tunes in a set deal with that broken, tribal feel a lot better than other producers' do.

Hmmm. I'll dig out Fabric 55 and give it another spin then, it's been about 18 months now. I want to like it, some great sounds and atmospherics, but never, ever coalesced into actual good music.

Part of the problem with the Pinch collaboration was that the Rustie LP was next up in the changer - it's hard to think of two more different albums.

hopper

I think the way he puts together and structures his tunes means that they always have a flow to them, and this is was stops them from feeling either too oppressive or too dull even when they're fairly sparse. Or that's the best that I could explain it anyway.

great comment, fully agreed. shackleton makes me dance in a club like no other dj, the rhythms just sound so elasticated