elgato

I just dont know
hmmm, not quite convinced, the filter sounds grate on me, the bassline just sounds a bit louder than straight up house and the rhythm didnt do much for me, i was expecting it to go a bit soca. i'l have a listen at the weekend on a rave and see how it fairs then

i really like it, its not out of this world but its pretty heavy. D1 has much better stuff ploughing this furrough though (in my opinion), some of it is amazing. but yeh Speed is the one on that 12 for me

straight

wings cru
yeah speed smashes it. can you reccomend any better d1 tracks in a similar vein? ive slept on his stuff to tell you the truth. im warming to this funky bizzle, im contemplating going a wee trip down euphoric male vocal lane to see robert owens on my last night in manc and sankeys is pretty much my doorstep.

elgato

I just dont know
yeah speed smashes it. can you reccomend any better d1 tracks in a similar vein?

none released other than Mind & Soul, but plenty on dubplate... check his rinse podcast here, its sick. also his old Streamizm set. there's a dub in the vein of Speed too which is one of my favourite dubstep tracks of last year... spiralling 808 drums, mad carnival rhythms, massive bass drops, ethereal pads

Last edited:

tom pr

cross-posted from the grime thread; excuse the (relevant) spamming!

CLICKS, WHISTLES AND RADIO RIPS: MARCH 2008

The second instalment of me and Raven Baker’s FACT column is up, and where as the first was a bit of a big (but beautiful) mess, the second is much more cohesive and succinct. It starts off with Dirty Canvas resident DJ MAGIC’s FACT MAGAZINE MIXTAPE available as a free download, featuring recent tunes from Wiley, Ruff Sqwad, Ghetto and P Money, and a Clicks exclusive by Lee Brasco.

We’ve got interviews with Sheffield based producer Grievous Angel and Baltimore lynchpin Jason Urick as well as the low-down on new tunes by Boy Better Know, Heartsrevolution and Soiled Mattress and the Springs, as well as links to new mixes by Adam Gonzo and IHeartComix. Check it out.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
his unprounouncable radio show is interesting, though i wouldnt do the disservice of constraining him with the term 'dubstep' ... :)

elgato

I just dont know
well indeed, i was thinking of putting this in the rustie thread but i dunno, i guess he reflects what i feel dubstep as a term should be allowed to mean, so i figured why not...

but yeh i think he's rinsing it, too many sick tracks to list

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the dubstep label hate is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy I reckon, and that ^^ is a pretty good example of it. dubstep as a scene used to be fairly all-encompassing, within a certain tempo anyhow. Perceived constraints which never really existed will lead to real constraints if we start encouraging the labelling of something that sounds a bit different as 'not dubstep,' when it used to be exactly that freedom which defined it in the first place.

I mean fair enough, people might have found themselves involved with a scene which they don't really relate to much anymore, but acting embarassed about it and declaring that even calling something dubstep is a negative thing has got to be just as damaging as those who are actually making the swag beats most of us try and ignore.

It's like all those grime dudes saying they're not on grime, they do MUSIC... fucked.

er. back on topic - starkey is rude

edit - I just clocked maybe he's making loads of beats outside of 140 which I haven't heard and maybe that's why the label is a disservice to him. Ah well, either way I see what I wrote happening quite a lot..

Last edited:

ripley

Starkey is one of my favorite producers these days. Man is brilliant

when forced to provide a genre name for it, I've given up and used his name "street bass" because I don't really hear the dubstep much in it. Especially little of the dub/reggae bass sound. But I always play it in dubstep sets anyway to liven things up. There is that crunk connection with Rustie.

he does have loads of stuff at other tempos too.

Dev79 (same scene, same label etc) is also getting really really good.

in a similar vein, but a bit more house-influenced, people might check out Bird Peterson: http://www.myspace.com/birdpeterson

elgato

I just dont know
yeh i wouldn't describe him as simply 'dubstep', and clearly he is taking wide influence and producing something new and pretty unique, but i certainly think that his music has a lot to do with dubstep. not in its dub reggae incarnation, nor a lot of what is happening at the moment (although i would say that possibly the current synth work of ppl like skream and rusko, along with bassline house, have a fair role to play in his basslines), but mainly in the sense that a good bit of his stuff could justifiably be called angular, stripped, dark, electro-ish post-garage... which used to be a fair description of a lot of dubstep

UFO over easy

online mahjong
elgato said:
but i certainly think that his music has a lot to do with dubstep. not in its dub reggae incarnation

honestly I think starkey's music has more to do with dubstep than dubstep in its dub/reggae incarnation has to do with dubstep.

strange sentence :)

anyway that remix of l-vis 1990 is outrageously good, beautiful tune

elgato

I just dont know
honestly I think starkey's music has more to do with dubstep than dubstep in its dub/reggae incarnation has to do with dubstep.

anyway that remix of l-vis 1990 is outrageously good, beautiful tune

exactly. for me personally anyway

yeh Change The Game Remix is so good. his melodies across the board are really nice, but this one is particularly buff. love the bizarre balearic ending also.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the dubstep label hate is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy I reckon, and that ^^ is a pretty good example of it. dubstep as a scene used to be fairly all-encompassing, within a certain tempo anyhow. Perceived constraints which never really existed will lead to real constraints if we start encouraging the labelling of something that sounds a bit different as 'not dubstep,' when it used to be exactly that freedom which defined it in the first place.

I mean fair enough, people might have found themselves involved with a scene which they don't really relate to much anymore, but acting embarassed about it and declaring that even calling something dubstep is a negative thing has got to be just as damaging as those who are actually making the swag beats most of us try and ignore.

It's like all those grime dudes saying they're not on grime, they do MUSIC... fucked.

er. back on topic - starkey is rude

edit - I just clocked maybe he's making loads of beats outside of 140 which I haven't heard and maybe that's why the label is a disservice to him. Ah well, either way I see what I wrote happening quite a lot..

Listen bruv, its not a "self-fulfilling prophecy" - because no one in the right mind asked for this. it is however the status quo, with a few wonderful exceptions.

however people can take the "i'm dubstep and so's my wife" attitude too far. just because dubstep's now having a wider influence, doesnt mean you're constraining the scene when you say something bassy is not really dubstep. people are putting the cart before the horse so many times now: bassy music didnt start with dubstep.

and your statement that "the health of dubstep is not ideal" is just as damaging than all the producers who have flooded the scene with shite is clearly bullshit. we need more people, not less to stand up to the mindless cloning - it's this unthinking 'it's all good' attitude that doesnt cut it.

What i've heard of Seclusiasis Radio, it seems like some next other thing, edits, mangled r&b, grimey, street beats, ragga. he mixed in some bassline. saying it's not dubstep was a compliment to its originality.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
and your statement that "the health of dubstep is not ideal" is just as damaging than all the producers who have flooded the scene with shite is clearly bullshit. we need more people, not less to stand up to the mindless cloning - it's this unthinking 'it's all good' attitude that doesnt cut it.

sure, I agree with you. I wasn't really saying that though, I was just trying to express concern that I can see a lot of interesting music being made which people seem keen to distance from dubstep as a movement, as maybe it's not in the best state at the moment, when it's that music itself that could really be part of revitalising it. I guess I did read too much into your post but I was really just trying to say something general as I've seen this stuff happen in scenes before.. I've already had quite a few people coming up to me and asking if I had any 'proper' dubstep when I'm playing tunes, and as far as i can see there's two options.. to distance yourself from what people consider dubstep completely and contribute indirectly to its decline or try and convince people that 'proper' dubstep can encompass quite a lot :)

apologies again if you read any personal attack into my post, it wasn't intended

Last edited: