benjybars

village elder.
fwd was so good last night despite the hilariously predictable no-show from zomby.

kode 9 played every good tune from every mini-genre released in the last 12 months

hucks

Your Message Here
fwd was so good last night despite the hilariously predictable no-show from zomby.

kode 9 played every good tune from every mini-genre released in the last 12 months

Kode 9 was brilliant. What was he playing at the start of the set? Did you recognise the tunes? They sounded like his own productions, a kind of funky at dubstep tempo plus synths. I know next to nothing of funky (if funky it was), so it was all new to me. Which is the best way...

Edit: Didn't much like D1, but Brackles was ace. So much fun.

audiofelch

I was at this.
Fantastic Kode 9 set. Does anyone know what the Funky tune was that he opened with.. it had a rewind.. think it was 2 tracks before the Apple track. so good!

shame about Zomby.. and the fact I'm deaf today.

powerpill

oh dear, and after he was "1000000000000%" certain to show up as well... i guess you need to add a few more zeros to that before you can be half-confident about a zomby appearance

:p

its a shame but was speaking to a certain someone that just outlined the problem zomby is now having with bookings. he's really dug his own grave having let so many people down and is now feeling the consequences (whatever the reasons behind him not showing might be). was looking forward to seeing him, one day.

fwd was amazing though. brackles delivered with the 2step/grime/bassline/4x4 uk stuff. some huge instrumentals thrown in there. enjoyed d1 but kode was just different man. that black sun tune is just mad. blue notes remix never sounded better, with digidesign being mixed into and out of it. big

Blackdown

nexKeysound
that first hours of kode's really broken dark funky was nuts: totally edgy, relentless and uncompromising. have no idea how you either mix or program those hits...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Kode 9 was brilliant. What was he playing at the start of the set? Did you recognise the tunes? They sounded like his own productions, a kind of funky at dubstep tempo plus synths.

some of his bits, but a lot of others too. he played stuff by cooly g, hard house banton, roska, apple, and that lighter track which sounded so militant.

he played that dj gregory tune that was on one of those uptown bootlegs too, i think d1 wheeling that and the piercing scratch when the needle was lifted was my favourite bit of the night :D

was a fantastic fwd

hucks

Your Message Here
some of his bits, but a lot of others too. he played stuff by cooly g, hard house banton, roska, apple, and that lighter track which sounded so militant.

he played that dj gregory tune that was on one of those uptown bootlegs too, i think d1 wheeling that and the piercing scratch when the needle was lifted was my favourite bit of the night :D

was a fantastic fwd

Cheers. I'm struggling to remember any of it now - I'm rubbish like that, and I wasn't even drinking - but I recall thinking it was brialliant at the time.

Edit: And, @ Blackdown, broken is exactly the right word. Really joined the dots for me between dubstep/ broken beat and funky

elgato

I just dont know

funny i actually wondered a bit whether this tune was by Kode 9 when i first heard it, the droney downcast synths and percussion are properly his vibe, reminds me of Magnetic City quite a bit. it is a sick tune. released in early 2006... pretty crazy

sounds like fwd was good!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah i thought the same, especially yesterday as i think it preceded the especially mad swooping pitchbendy synthy one of his

it was a bit of a moment when you played it at ruffage too!

elgato

I just dont know
glad you thought so!

i can't help but reflect that its pretty crazy that Kode 9 is playing old DJ Gregory on Defected at FWD! pretty funny really!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
are the presses of the bootlegs any good does anyone know?

the tune sounded good yesterday but i wasnt sure if it actually was one of them, or an original

the more i think about it the more i think it would be nicer, at this stage in the development of this scene, to support uptown than strictly/defected, even if what they're doing is quite cheeky.

elgato

I just dont know
the presses are very good, but i doubt as good as the originals. but i bet kode 9 played the bootleg. also the one i played was the bootleg

the bootleg also has Bar A Thym on the other side which is an absolutely storming track

mos dan

fact music
fwd was fucking WOOZY. which i attribute largely to having sonic warfare waged on my ears, yknow inner ear assault=disturbing of balance. seriously a bit deaf today. suspect nine may have been experimenting on us for a chapter in his book.

poison dart/thuggish ruggish sounded INCREDIBLE in the blend. there was a mini riot in our corner when thuggish ruggish came in in full.

awesome fwd, brackles was fucking superb too. out to charles/nomad miming ALL the pay as u go lyrics lol.

mms

sometimes
it was a bit of a revelation to be dancing properly at fwd again, i mean moving feet hips and shoulders etc, not just shuffling from one leg to the other, or even fucking worse nodding the head with a curve in the back like someone at a metallica gig. loved it.

Weird smelling skunk residue in fwd too, kiddas lighting up spliffs in corners, i kept on smelling what i thought was wild garlic and then i realised it was skunk residue.
Never going to get girls back in if the boys smell bad. i was looking round to see if there were many girls dancing really but there weren't really, it's gonna take a time, sarah looked like she'd just been to church :)

yeah that whole skronky top end noise thing was kinda odd.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was great to see Brackles smacking it, thought his mixing and selection were both top notch. What I saw of D1 was good and Kode was great as usual. I was humming Digidesign to myself until about 4 in the morning haha

Was extremely rammed and energetic... Sound was a bit fucked though.

Oh, and Ben - that guy who told us he was Zomby, was I just really pissed or did he seem quite a convincing candidate?