elgato

I just dont know
bok bok questioned whether she was an appropriate choice for dubstep dj of the year, 2006. the then-still-hermetically-sealed dubstep circle closed, and it got ugly. as always alex was ahead of his time ;)

i dunno if this is quite right man, as memory serves tone was the issue people seemed to have a problem with... such is the internet i guess, tone easily gets lost. i know i have misunderstood and jumped to conclusions about Alex's written tone in the past. he got a bit of a rough deal with that one i agree, it got pretty mean

internet politix lol

as a footnote i think it was best radio show which makes it slightly different i think

UFO over easy

online mahjong
is this the right time to say me and bok bok are doing subfm.com tonight from 8-10pm?

haha

hold tight for mary anne hobbs guesting next week, just ironing things out yeah

mos dan

fact music
elgato you're right to tweak the details, fair enough, i'd forgotten. it was a symptom of having all the scene people on one board together basically - it made it worse that ppl were so quick to close ranks and banish what was perceived as 'negativity' (a battle everyone in dubstep has long since given up on, of course).

it wd have been a nice reasonable discussion b/w you and ufo vs bok bok, if mah hadn't been on dsf and certain scene ppl hadn't wanted to suck up to her/re-fight their own battles with us.

is this the right time to say me and bok bok are doing subfm.com tonight from 8-10pm?

haha

hold tight for mary anne hobbs guesting next week, just ironing things out yeah

hahahaa yeah she's on mic right? will be locked, can't wait!

mos dan

fact music
in the style of talksport/radio five live lol.

'wonky or aquacrunk? call in and let us know what you think it should be called!'

tom pr

i think MAH is amazing- she's like a cross between tim westwood and a wwf commentator. she referred to mike slott as sounding like "a twenty-fifth century junkyard falling off a cliff". you can't buy that sort of unhinged enthusiasm.

i've also probably listened to that hyperdub showcase and the joker/starkey sets from generation bass more than any other music this year.

mos dan

fact music
she referred to mike slott as sounding like "a twenty-fifth century junkyard falling off a cliff".

that's a pretty great line. recalls the infamous description of 'captain'-era idlewild: "like a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs" :D

elgato

I just dont know
elgato you're right to tweak the details, fair enough, i'd forgotten. it was a symptom of having all the scene people on one board together basically - it made it worse that ppl were so quick to close ranks and banish what was perceived as 'negativity' (a battle everyone in dubstep has long since given up on, of course).

it wd have been a nice reasonable discussion b/w you and ufo vs bok bok, if mah hadn't been on dsf and certain scene ppl hadn't wanted to suck up to her/re-fight their own battles with us.

yeh it was all very unsavoury. one of them moments where everything doesn't seem so good anymore. especially in the context of what was meant to be a celebration

but anyway all long gone now!

looking forward to Ben as shock jock

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
that's a pretty great line. recalls the infamous description of 'captain'-era idlewild: "like a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs" :D
Or drill and bass (gawd bless it) being described as "someone assembling a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs."

I think that one actually originated with the NME from the days when the NME doing an in depth article about the UK drill and bass scene wasn't something that you have weird dreams about...

mos dan

fact music

bias aside, this was another great show, the b2b works so well! chat was lively too - on a tenuously related note, i just read the blackdown&dusk/geiom/rams hype thread, good stuff. i can't stand the word 'banter' (west ldn/student associations to the word for me), but since people don't listen to pirates so much anymore some of that community aspect has gone, you don't hear the same familiar shout outs on rinse so much these days ('hold tight boomnoise on the recording').. i guess it's just nice to find vestiges of community in the alternately bloated/splintering scenes. ok i'll shut up now that's enough hippy bullshit lol

mos dan

fact music
Or drill and bass (gawd bless it) being described as "someone assembling a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs."

I think that one actually originated with the NME from the days when the NME doing an in depth article about the UK drill and bass scene wasn't something that you have weird dreams about...

remember talking about nme's weird 'lost' period on dissensus a while back, when they wrote about really, um, interesting music - godspeed on the (abstract) cover, lead album review space devoted to cannibal ox.. weird but good :)

anyway yeah, so that quote, was it for idlewild or drill and bass? someone's nicked it anyway lol