unknown soulja

Wild Horses
They were chucking out a 7" with that Africa Hi Tec tune and a tune by Lil' John from Buraka at the Carnival Mad Decent party this year, its kinda scary how much money Red Bull spend on looking cool...

gostwan

Vaccine just sounds too NICE, a bit like the synth music they play in New Age shops....

Go and listen to concussion on a big rig and come back and say that. Its deadly and wouldn't sound out of place on loefah's label.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
so as of now our thursday night show on subfm is going to be fortnightly. bruk radio will be moving from their saturday morning slot to go on rotation with us. their first show will be next week

they're some of my favourite DJs, i definitely recommend checking their archived shows

Blackdown

nexKeysound
ben, track ID from Ben UFO b2b Bok Bok - Ruffage Sessions 29.10.09.mp3, what's the funky track that sounds like wobble-funky with the hoover noise descending from the heavens? Gee was also playing this, this summer.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
That tune's great, the breakdown is hilarious. Air raid sirens, car noises and bird song. What more could you need?
It goes off as well, in my limited experience.

franz

falty dl in town last night... not much of a mixer, in part because he seemed to want to switch genres every few... highlight of the night was for sure hearing The Club. in a set that bounced all over, it was maybe the song that sounded the freshest... just so well defined, you can really pick out every tick in that tune, which contrasted with a lot of tracks he was playing that sounded a bit overloaded (including some of his own productions, which are nice enough, of course). rinsed out with a bit of amen jungle at the end which was nice for sure.

i was kind of zoning out a bit and thinking about the whole "post-dubstep" term... it's being used more and more. looking like it's gonna be a thing (or at least a stop-gap till another name emerges) soon, if it isn't already. but i wonder how people would go about distinguishing it against dubstep that isn't obviously half-step, dubtech, or wub... is the difference between Peverelist/Shackleton and Ramadanman/Brackles a conspicuous funky influence? is the pressure exerted by house the main thing that distinguishes "post-dubstep" from "proto-dubstep" (or the early period stuff)? i guess wonk synths would be another key distinguisher... productions are not as minimal/raw perhaps?
just rambling now.

blackpixie

i was wondering if or when i was going to start hearing the term "post-dubstep"

but i think they (who is they?) have come up with something for that already in the name of "future garage" hence the new forum.

On which many of the people from dsf have started to migrate to.

I dont want dubstep to be over... luckily it is not

zhao

there are no accidents
it really is pretty uncanny how this Stenchman dude's tracks actually smell. i don't mean they stink as in they're necessarily bad, but they stink as in those wobble farting sounds make my olfactory glands somehow pick up an imaginary but pungent odor.

zhao

there are no accidents
well dubstep is splintering into at least 3 or 4 different directions at once, so it's certainly not going to all fit into a neat likkle bracket like "post-punk", which is a pretty specific thing of riffs meets dance beats. i see a bunch of dodgy names coming up similar to funk-step, like jungle-step, wonk-step, spaghetti-step, cheesecake step... i'm hungry.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

well dubstep is splintering into at least 3 or 4 different directions at once, so it's certainly not going to all fit into a neat likkle bracket like "post-punk", which is a pretty specific combination of punk meets disco/funk.

Thats a fairly simplistic definition of post-punk though isn't it? I don't think all the bands that we now associate with post punk were necessarily disco/funk influenced and post-punk is still a fairly contentious term despite Reynolds' book which has solidified it a bit. Wouldn't call it a 'neat little bracket'.

I think there probably are comparisons to be drawn between post punk and the post UK garage musics though in terms of shooting off in different directions. Its a sort of 'aftermath' period atm. 2009 has certainly been a much more interesting year than 2008 for me because of this I think.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Thats a fairly simplistic definition of post-punk though isn't it? I don't think all the bands that we now associate with post punk were necessarily disco/funk influenced and post-punk is still a fairly contentious term despite Reynolds' book which has solidified it a bit. Wouldn't call it a 'neat little bracket'.

I think there probably are comparisons to be drawn between post punk and the post UK garage musics though in terms of shooting off in different directions. Its a sort of 'aftermath' period atm. 2009 has certainly been a much more interesting year than 2008 for me because of this I think.
Yeah definitely. Most of what I know about post punk comes from RIU&SA, but if taking in James Chance, Joy Division, Bow Wow Wow and Throbbing Gristle is 'solidifying it a bit' then it's pretty clearly not a particularly tightly defined concept...

Speaking of Reynolds, for all that I love to slate his writing about all things post-garage (aargh, I'm doing it now), I wonder if he's onto something when he says, in a recent blog post,
There's a whole axis that's emerged in the last several years, coalescing to some extent out of and to some extent off the back of, the nuum .... postdubstep some call it (ugh) although it's also (as with Jam City) postgrime and post some other things too... but what it really is, this fuzzy region that's sort of blurring the edges of, overlapping and encroaching,the nuum... it's the nu-IDM, i think. (The give-away: Brainfeeder, which virtually is Braindance, as per RePhlex's slogan)(Hyperdub as the new RePhlex? Planet Mu as the bridge between RePhlex and Hyperdub?). But crucially it's IDM, reformed. IDM, with most, if not all, of the blindspots removed. IDM, if it actually was serious about the "dance" bit of Intelligent Dance Music. IDM, hip (acutely hip) to where the real energy centers are. IDM, with none of the parody-it snark/goofiness of drill'n'bass/squarepusher/kid606 (if anything, gone the other way and a wee bit too earnest and reverent).

zhao

there are no accidents

no the "post-punk" tag is not as neat as i put it above, but still A LOT neater than what is happening with the doobiesteps no? virtually all post-punk were influenced by the streamline of dance music rhythms, right? i mean even the experimentalist faction which took cues from improvised music like DNA used dance beats on their records.

but yeah i like the further splintering too, even though some strains are bad for personal health (faulty)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
virtually all post-punk were influenced by the streamline of dance music rhythms, right? i mean even the experimentalist faction which took cues from improvised music like DNA used dance beats on their records.

depends what post-punk encompasses, i suppose. definitely a lot of dance rhythms going into rock (joy division, acr etc), but then there's things like the Raincoats, TVPs, This Heat, which don't fit into this matrix.

I like the post-punk comparison - seems to make a lot of sense. Either way, now feels a lot like 2001/2002, in terms of the sheer number of available paths being drawn up, and how confusing it is to divide anything into neat categories.

I really hope it's not the nu IDM. Once was enough.