alex

Do not read this.
ben that set with Alex is really good mate. Proper been feeling recently. That Ikonika tune you keep playing is better than Saharah Michael which I didnt think would be poissible. (apologys if that is spelt wrongly btw)

zhao

there are no accidents
depends what post-punk encompasses, i suppose. definitely a lot of dance rhythms going into rock (joy division, acr etc), but then there's things like the Raincoats, TVPs, This Heat, which don't fit into this matrix.

don't know TVPs but Raincoats and This Heat 100% do! as does Wire and Slits and PIL and i would say 90% of what we consider part of the sub genre.

sheer number of available paths being drawn up, and how confusing it is to divide anything into neat categories.

just for the hell of it, i'll have a go (stomach feel strong right now!):

Glitch-Step -- Planet Mu Nu-IDM
Mini-Step -- Minimal influence ala Headhunter and 2562
Rave-Step -- you know that party midrangey stuff
Wonk-Step -- Faulty and all that synthy mess
Funk-Step -- Cooly, etc.
Chill-Step -- teh ambient
Pop-step -- from VA to the indie rawk remixes
Wobble -- Self explanatory

pretty sure i'm forgetting a few...

massrock

Orbstep = Ambient Brostep. ;)

Thing is there's lots of stuff that doesn't quite fit any of those categories very exactly, 'house' is probably the big thickening agent at the moment, but it's like there's a big mulch of the last 20 years' styles going on. And yet I have to say, fun as some of this is, it does all sound curiously homogeneous to me, there are definitely orthodoxies at work in many of the production elements. On the one hand this is what means it can be strung together in allegedly 'diverse' sets, but very often it seems like mixes come out sounding rather like Jive Bunny or 2 Many DJs Ableton mashups. It all goes by and not very much has happened, frankly.

Ory

warp drive
I really hope it's not the nu IDM. Once was enough.

yeah but IDM already exists. people who are into fucking about with glitch and other dancefloor unfriendly stuff have a space set up for them. so that 'extreme' is already catered for. or so I'd like to think anyway..

reynolds touched on this on his blog (re: jam city) and I do think right now there's a healthy middleground emerging, shaped by the mistakes of the past, where all this hyperconscious mixed-breed dance music can thrive.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
All this confusion is the best thing that could happen. When the genre defining over intellectualizers don't have a grip on things the artists have more room to breathe, but boy do they struggle to define everything.

alex

Do not read this.
Going to be spinning some minimal house/tech & jacking tech house down at bomb this week, b2b with DJ Trizla.

Unlikely & Dom & also, Reso will be joining us. For all interested?

4NR

Elemental's new album definitely deserves a mention. Frankly, I'd give it the edge over the 2562 LP, as they both seem to be covering somewhat similar terrain (broken, "unbalanced" rhythmic patterns and plenty of synthy fun(k)).

alex

Do not read this.
blackdown, was reading through some of your old school articles & found this very intriguing sentance...

Loefah referring to Mala
He used to come back and chat to me, he’d have a new beat he’d done on Reason, cos that was what we were using then. To tell the truth he was writing a lot of house then, but dark house.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah. he calls his sound "broken dub house" in that feature, which is a great description of proto funky, except thats' not what mala was/is on.

urbanite

subnoto
Left Leg Out sounds quite funky-like if you slow it down a bit. This may have been discussed before, I think.

yeah jackmaster used it to great effect in that vice land mix, still one of my favourites that one :)

Can't quite figure out how he did it though, cuz slowing it down to about 132 it goes in the -8 pitch range and does feel a bit sluggish by that point...

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
calling jam city IDM or post-grime is utter bullshit and reynolds once again shows that he is totally out of sync with UK CLUB music ...

as for listing a whole load of "x"-step, its utterly pointless....

theres a reason adjectives exist , theres no need to try and coin a new genre just because it doesnt fit exactly into a pre-existing category...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
it's an understandable reaction but he did make it clear that its a different thing to that movement

"IDM, if it actually was serious about the "dance" bit of Intelligent Dance Music. IDM, hip (acutely hip) to where the real energy centers are. IDM, with none of the parody-it snark/goofiness of drill'n'bass/squarepusher/kid606 (if anything, gone the other way and a wee bit too earnest and reverent)."

that basically strips a lot of IDM down to nothing though, the IDM that makes people turn away in revulsion at the very thought of it anyway - pretense masking lack of musical content. so i don't think pointing out the social similarities is necessary or particularly useful. all he seems to be saying is that some of those guys were articulate about music, and some of these guys are too.

'this is similar to stuff that it's not actually very similar to at all.'

the only directly negative bits of the article are about the 'peripheral stuff', the names and the vibe he gets, which i think you're right in thinking is slightly skewed by the distance at which he views it

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i follow ben, but i still don't understand why the term IDM has any relevance to jam city?

maybe i'm not articulating myself very well, but with reynolds calling his stuff idm and the guardian writing "file next to aphex twin" i feel that jc is getting wrongly represented.. thats not where he is coming from and... and he does not sound remotely like idm -

plus surely someone like squarepusher is as idm as it gets?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah i guess what i'm trying to say is that i don't think it's relevant, but i also don't think reynolds is being malicious in his application of the term

massrock

Perhaps the similarity and also a positive aspect being a liberating absence of allegiance or too much reverence felt towards a single narrow pre-defined style.

Wotstep is my coinage for today. ;)