Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's great to hear people talk about playing records with alot of consideration and passion and really struck me how unconservative and backward/forward thinking people like Alexander nut, ben ufo. brackles, shortstuff, etc. have been over the last year+ I get the feeling people don't want to go to a dance and hear the same rhythm all night long. people seem to vibe of any kind of continuity being broken and styles being changed up they're more hungry for it and feel a safe enough distance from early garage and house to draw for it without being too derivative or feeling the need to play 'up-front' all the time.

140 halfstep is a prison that i think a lot of people, me n Dusk included, have pro-actively been trying to break out of in the last two years. i dont want to hear the same beat all night long, but nor do i want either chaotic "eclectic" sets or OCDJing, where every 16 bar is a switch or you mix out 8 bars after a drop. i think there's a middle point, an exciting healthy one.

ether

i'm no fan of carnage behind the decks and the need to remove subtlety in favor of something bombastic (no ref. too shaggy lol) and aggressive and kind of leads to overblown production values, the music suffers as a consequence, as in the case of dnb obsession with the massive 'drop'
its healthy that way people seem to to have moved on from being fixated with bass (I'd argue funky is'nt bass-led) that was the downside of halfstep i think what made it poignant wasn't the concentration on bass, but the absence of elements and the controlled use of space which made each element seem that much more profound. but peversely led to dubsteps obsession with one agressive element; the chainsaw like attack, whether it be the bass line or melodic synth hook (your hear alot less sine tones in newer dubstep i notice)
when talking of breaking the continuity i mean more in-terms of selection than particularly an agressive dj style, who was drawing for mj cole or todd edwards 3 years ago? who was dropping west coast beatmakers along-side classic house, i didnt think people felt that happy drawing for music made outside of this country (or croydon in some cases) let alone outside of this decade.
people at dances have become alot less conservative in what they expect, it helps that dj's are happy to wear influences on their sleeve more. they play more speculatively and as a result they get more of the music they deserve.
oneman is right, garage was a dirty word, for alot of us but personally i think that had alot to do with it never really blowing up outside of the capitial, suburban london or a few major cities. it had a big identity crisis which wouldn't have been helped by the majors jumping on it early and limited internet use at the time. it's kind of irrelevant whether old garage is new to crowds or not. they understand its relevence, to them old garage is future garage as it doesn't cease to be relevant.

Last edited:

wascal

Wild Horses
...but nor do i want either chaotic "eclectic" sets or OCDJing, where every 16 bar is a switch or you mix out 8 bars after a drop. i think there's a middle point, an exciting healthy one.

I'm guilty of OCDJing - in a way I feel guilty if I'm not doing something constantly when DJing off Traktor with a controller so end up starting to keymix the next tune after 32 bars :mad:

Its a hard thing to kick once you start doing it tbh, especially with a background in listening to people like Jeff Mills etc who constantly fly through the good 2 mins of tunes then on to the next. It can work well and is definitely fun to do live but probably not so fun to be in the crowd dancing in 1 minute bursts.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
its ok with linear tracky stuff i guess but if you've selected a producer who develops their arrangements, sometimes i think you should let the producer do the talking for most of the track...

alex

Do not read this.
blackdown did you get a chance to see T_! play at bomb the night LHF was playing? He has a real nice eclectic style going on. Using 3 deck's however he doesnt actually come out of the mix, so I think his ting would be a bit to rapid for you. Although he is doing a mix for me this week, so I will post it to see what all you guys think.

benjybars

village elder.
Oneman's adeptness at DJing shouldn't surprise anyone. He's one of the only DJs who isn't also a producer.

i've heard at least two Oneman productions and they're heavy.. 'oridinary things' especially

BenUfo is the only (good) dj i can think of who doesn't produce..

@ blackdown - i reckon i was the first person to say that oneman is responsible for the garage acceptance / resurgance etc amongst dubstep heads.. well maybe not the first but i said it aaages ago.. do i get a prize? a badge maybe??

Elijah

Butterz
As a Grime DJ, we are on this mixing quick thing because normally the instrumentals are shorter then the dubstep/house ones. Now, ive got all this new music from Terror Danjah, Swindle, SRC, Royal T etc that is wonderfully structured it is difficult to just let them play sometimes because im so used to mixing quickly. Annoying, but hey, the music is going in a direction I wanted to from ages ago, just my DJ style hasnt caught up yet!

Soon!

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
cor. that untold remix of the XX makes it into some kindof apocalyptic gabba motown song. love to hear it in the dance, real nose-tickler bass. best thing he's done imo.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
As a Grime DJ, we are on this mixing quick thing because normally the instrumentals are shorter then the dubstep/house ones. Now, ive got all this new music from Terror Danjah, Swindle, SRC, Royal T etc that is wonderfully structured it is difficult to just let them play sometimes because im so used to mixing quickly.!

a logical consequence of this producer-lead grime direction you're pioneering elijah is that the producers need to push their arrangements harder, not just assume that the MCs will cover them up...

Alfons

Way of the future
the addison groove 12" will probably be the first release on Swamp 81 that I'll buy, really like it. Anyone know when it's supposed to come out?

on a related note the recent autonomic show with loefah on rinse was big

http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/DBridge3110.mp3

tracklist from dsf:
Autonomic RinseFM February 2010

- Influences
0:00:00 Joy Oberson - The Shrew Would Have Cushioned The Blow (Actress Remix) [SIMPLE]
0:04:57 ?
0:08:20 ?
0:12:21 Loose Ends - Slow Down [VIRGIN]
0:16:43 Cherrelle & Alexander O'Neal - Saturday Love [TABU]
0:19:35 Corina - Summertime Summertime [SO SO DEF]
0:22:44 Ricardo Villalobos - Dexter (Playhouse)
0:27:30 Jimmy Edgar - ? [NON PLUS+]
0:30:27 Midnight Star - Midas Touch (Dub Version) [SOLAR]
0:33:15 Class Action - Weekend (Larry Levan Mix) [SLEEPING BAG]
0:36:41 Lusine - Gravity (Ghostly International)
0:41:07 Space Dimension Controller - The Love Quadrant [KINNEGO]
0:45:12 Gaelle - Rain
0:48:07 ?

- Loefah's Mix

0:52:00 - 0:96:04

Pinch - Elements (swamp81)
Addison Groove - Dumb Shit (swamp81)
Instra:mental - ? (swamp81)
Ramadanman - Glut(hemlock)
Addison Groove - Dirty Fake (swamp81)
Headhunter - Ghost Rmx (?)
Mala - Eyez (dmz)
Cosmin TRG - Strobe Lick (Tempa)
Addison Groove - Footcrab (Swamp 81)
Cosmin TRG - Siberian Poker(?)
Instra:mental - Forbidden(applepips)
Ramadanman - Tempest(hemlock)
Kryptic Minds - The Fifth(dub)

- Autonomic

0:96:06 Consequence & Instra:Mental - ? [NON PLUS+]
0:99:30 ?
100:40 System - Peach Fuzz [EXIT]
103:28 Synkro - Open Arms [AUTONOMIC]
105:55 Instra:Mental - Photograph [DARKESTRAL]
108:15 ?
110:20 Coki - ?

tom lea

BenUfo is the only (good) dj i can think of who doesn't produce..
jackmaster, maximum, mac 10, marcus nasty wasnt really producing til recently, spyro produces but he's not known for it. likewise alex nut.

braiden's producing but he's not got any tracks out there or anything.

edit: slimzee

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
That foot crab should be out very soon, theres alot of people playing it now

yeah, it looks like swamp81 is gonna be alot bigger then I expected

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only dubstep bought recently = Instramental on Applepips. Love both sides, especially the a side. Just try and stop me.