rubberdingyrapids

not been keeping up with rinse for a while now but icicles show is really good. not that diff from what youngsta plays i suppose but something more danceable about it i think that i really like. way better than his recent mix cd for rinse in any case. those cds always sound a bit too restrained/over thought out.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Same.

Benji's run of mixes really reminded me how vital it all was for a time. Still nothing like some of those tunes. All the Kode9 bits are still something else and the early Mystiks. Still keep an eye on Peverelist and few others but it feels like London just fell off all together. Obviously still an unfathomable amount of great music coming from there but what made London for me was it wasn't house. Keysound and a few others the only one flying that flag from the old crew.

Would be foolish to write it off though, inconsequential internet moan etc etc

benjybars

village elder.
^

safe for the shout bruv!

yeah, it is very easy to get on a downer about this stuff from a LDN point of view..

that said, the three System nights so far this year, despite not breaking any new ground, have been absolutely joyous from start to finish.. hands down the best 'dubstep' night in these barren times..

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Same.

Benji's run of mixes really reminded me how vital it all was for a time. Still nothing like some of those tunes. All the Kode9 bits are still something else and the early Mystiks. Still keep an eye on Peverelist and few others but it feels like London just fell off all together. Obviously still an unfathomable amount of great music coming from there but what made London for me was it wasn't house. Keysound and a few others the only one flying that flag from the old crew.

What Benji mixes are you referring to exactly? Like to hear some classics right now.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Ah those, of course. I thought you were referring to Benji B. Too bad those "Roots of" mixes are only upped in .wav. Anyone know if they're also available in 320 somewhere? Also, can someone recommend me some other mixes with classic material, DMZ stuff et cetera?

Ory

warp drive
the joe nice lost dubs shows are absolutely essential listening. here's the first edition from early 2007:

PART 1: http://www.beatplexity.com/mix/?id=2999
PART 2: http://www.beatplexity.com/mix/?id=3000

Code:
Part 1

01. DM (Mala) - Sundayz 
02. Loefah - Indian Dub (Skream remix) 
03. Distance - Broken 
04. Distance - Broken - RELOAD 
05. Skream - Bad Dreamz 
06. Distance - Nerve 
07. OrisJay - 808 Part II 
08. Scuba - Aqualung 
09. Loefah - Crackbong VIP 
10. Loefah - Crackbong VIP - RELOAD 
11. Plasticman - Shallow Grave VIP 
12. Random Trio - Prayer 
13. Skream - Shallow Grave (slow version) 
14. Loefah - Encona 
15. Random Trio - Zambi 
16. DM (Mala) - Adultz Only 
17. DM (Mala) - Adultz Only - RELOAD 
18. DM (Coki) - Gotham 
19. DM (Coki) - Chalice 
20. DM (Coki) - Lowdown 
21. DM (Coki) - Steppers Vibe 
22. DM (Mala) - Creepah 
23. DM (Mala) - Cowboy Dub 
24. DM (Mala) - Cowboy Dub - RELOAD 
25. DM (Mala & Coki) - Intergalactic Dub 
26. DM (Mala & Coki) - Intergalactic Dub - RELOAD 
27. DM (Mala) - Hunter 
28. DM (Mala) - Hunter - RELOAD 
29. DM (Coki) - Old Hope 
30. DM (Mala) - One Hope 
31. DM (Mala) - One Hope - RELOAD 
32. Loefah - Struck Dumb 
33. Loefah - Struck Dumb - RELOAD 
34. Loefah - Root VIP SE25MIX 
35. Loefah - Root VIP SE25MIX - RELOAD 
36. Distance - Nomad (Scuba remix) 
37. Distance - Nomad (Scuba remix) - RELOAD 
38. Plasticman - Pump Up The Jam VIP 
39. Plasticman - The Lift VIP 
40. Plasticman - The Lift VIP - RELOAD 
41. Plasticman - The Lift VIP - RELOAD 2 
42. Oris Jay - Salute 
43. Skream & Hatcha - Untitled 
44. Search and Destroy - AlleyCat 
45. Search and Destroy - Transition

Part 2

01. Search and Destroy - Transition 
02. DM (Mala) - Bring Sut Unt 
03. D1 - No Title 
04. D1 - No Turning Back 
05. D1 - Boiler 
06. D1 - Brainstorm 
07. D1 - Victim 
08. D1 - Deaf 
09. D1 - Vigilant 
10. D1 - 5.0 Dub 
11. D1 - Violent UTurn 
12. D1 - Violent UTurn - RELOAD 
13. Skream - Raggy Dub 
14. Skream - Dub Island 
15. Skream - Dub Island - RELOAD 
16. Benga - Cha RMX 
17. Pinch - Answer 
18. Pinch - Nightmare Part 2 
19. Pinch - Deathwalk (Rebellion Remix) 
20. Pinch - Wobbler 
19. Random Trio - Haunted 
20. Random Trio - Haunted - RELOAD 
20. Plasticman - Japan 
21. Plasticman - Japan - RELOAD 
22. Distance - Blue Velvet 
22. D1 - Gully 
23. Random Trio - Tribal Path 
24. D1 - Warning 
25. Distance - Empire RMX 
26. Toasty - Reflect 
27. Mark One - BarBreaker 
28. Pinch - Nightmare Part 1 
29. MarkOne - War Inna Congo 
30. OrisJay - Mighty Wan 
31. OrisJay - 808 Part 1 
32. OrisJay - Falling Star 
33. OrisJay - Eyes Wide Red 
34. Scuba - Push 
35. Search & Destroy - Candyfloss (Toasty RMX) 
36. Skream - Sign of the Bass 
37. Pinch - Deserted Island

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Same.

Bigup! Pls just give this mix one listen: http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/wen-whats-all-commotion-about.html?m=1

:)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Nostaligia is fine, but what I ask - daily - is what made those times good and how can the essence of that find its own new life/space/energy/identity in 2012. Because it sure won't be "dungeon".

CrowleyHead

Answer? It won't be from dubstep. Someone's going to have to make something new. The big problem these days is that it seems that nobody's really allowed to make something on their own that nobody likes, it all gets co-opted and made to fit "THE BIGGER PICTURE". Especially in dubstep, where the minute something is considered somewhat important, be it 'trap music', juke, 80's 808-based records... My god, does it get plundered the hell out of, but made so sterile! Because there's no desire to emulate those records beyond the 'notions' of what's in them... And the people in that scene don't get to join in, because they're not a part of the 'pirate class'. It's actually WORSE than Diplo, because at least he'll, you know, take one person and put them down with the camp. I don't see Planet Mu signing Shawty Redd or Lil' Lody any time soon, but I see all sorts of "Intelligent Trap" producers in electronic music all the time.

SecondLine

Answer? It won't be from dubstep. Someone's going to have to make something new. The big problem these days is that it seems that nobody's really allowed to make something on their own that nobody likes, it all gets co-opted and made to fit "THE BIGGER PICTURE". Especially in dubstep, where the minute something is considered somewhat important, be it 'trap music', juke, 80's 808-based records... My god, does it get plundered the hell out of, but made so sterile! Because there's no desire to emulate those records beyond the 'notions' of what's in them... And the people in that scene don't get to join in, because they're not a part of the 'pirate class'. It's actually WORSE than Diplo, because at least he'll, you know, take one person and put them down with the camp. I don't see Planet Mu signing Shawty Redd or Lil' Lody any time soon, but I see all sorts of "Intelligent Trap" producers in electronic music all the time.

I don't think what you are describing is in any way new