Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

jenks

thread death
I think those of us that could be arsed read them, discussed them and then the bookclub fizzled out - see comments upthread about the difficulty of stimulating literary discussion on here compared with The Pogues, for example.

Like a moth to a flame ... i will state i am willing to give yet another whirl

craner

Beast of Burden
Jenks - this is not enirely related but it sort of is - you teach English in a secondary school, don't you?

jenks

thread death
Yes, it is a good job, mostly.

So much depends upon the school itself. I think what most people find is that there isn't as much Literature being taught as there used to be and that the amount of freedom any teacher has is limited. However, on a good day, it is a great job, but I still fail to recognise the profession as projected by government ads. Then again there are moments where I wince with the accuracy of those Armstrong and Miller parodies.

My best advice is probably try and get a visit to a school and remind yourself what they are like.

I think Matt B and a few others teach - I think, though, I might be the only secondary teacher on board.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
*hops on bandwagon* Yep, this certainly promises to be a hell of a read. Thing is, though, I'm almost afraid to read it because I'm not sure any real book could ever live up to a blurb as exciting as this one's. Hope I'm wrong about that - only one way to find out, of course.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
'Ello 'ello 'ello!

Lost my password there for a minute.

I just bought the book in question but Amazon won't get it to me until the 2nd day of October, so I am afraid this will be a repeat of my experience with the book about that English murderer Mr. Bone or whatever, you speedy readers will have finished the book before I even open the the discussion thread. Anyway, looks like a good pick, once again! Kudos!

EM

IdleRich

IdleRich
Er, is it decided that we read this then? Well, it certainly seems popular and it looks as though Empty Mirror has presented us with a Fait Accompli by buying it so I'm in for sure.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ Oh, well, I bought it because the synopsis was a bit too compelling for me to resist. It needn't have any bearing on what book you decide on. Indeed, you will likely have it done before I even get it.

If my purchases have any influence on the book club, I also picked up Mount Analogue in the same go. Holy Mountain was based on this book, though the author's death ended the novel rather before its time.

jenks

thread death
Ok, let's do it.

However, i'll probably nnot even get round to ordering it for a few days as I have OFSTED arriving tomorrow.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Cool, I'm in if no-one minds? I'm gonna have to order it from a shop or see if a shop has got it cos I'm having trouble with post at the moment...long story...

IdleRich

IdleRich
No one minds, this has had the best response of any book so I had better hurry up and order it.
There are going to be a lot of disappointed people if it's totally rubbish.

Immryr

i will read this too, although i will probably be behind everyone. i'll have to finish what i'm reading plus wait for cash pay money.