"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Best three straight RNB tunes I've heard this year: 1. Adorn 2. Climax 3. Brandy and Chris Brown - Put It Down... and that one by Frank Ocean ''Thinking About You'' is good too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Anyone listened to 'Kaleidoscope Dream' yet? It's got its moments. Some of it seems sub-Dream to me but yeah... He shouldn't have added that bit at the end of ''Adorn'' it was perfect as it was IMO.

Are there any RNB experts on Dissensus? I want some recommendations. Some of my favourite tunes this year have been RNB: 'Kill The Lights', 'Climax', 'Adorn', 'Put It Down', 'Thinking About You'...

Benny Bunter

Are there any RNB experts on Dissensus? I want some recommendations.

You're probably better off checking ilx to be honest. Although even there not many recommendations have floated my boat except Miguel. Maybe Rnb is just a bit shit nowadays, I dunno...

Last edited:

benw

had slept on miguel until now - this is top! very hungover and making me feel a lot better. just realised he did lotus flower bomb too right?

also - re: the end of year lists: climax, put it down, 773 & fuck u all the time, motivation (was that this year??), adorn, lotus flower bomb, thinking about you, a few bits off the robert glasper lp maybe. not a great year in quantity but still some good quality. where the-dream at?

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

had slept on miguel until now - this is top! very hungover and making me feel a lot better. just realised he did lotus flower bomb too right?

Yeah, I got into him from hearing the countless Jersey Club versions of that and 'Sure thing', which is probably still my favourite. Not heard the new LP yet though.

CrowleyHead

"Adorn" is miles above "Sure Thing", and it's still not that good, I don't know what you guys are hearing with this kid.

Haven't heard the Jeremih tape, still going to cop Weeknd when it comes out soon, but R&B's had a fairly slight year really. Trey really didn't do shit this year, huh? Poor kid.

rubberdingyrapids

i recommend red wine by kelly rowland...

the dream is such a fucking clown. the total, unerring trashiness of his songs/lyrics is kind of underrated. hes like the harmony korine of R&B.

that song about one hand in the front and one in the back from his last album is sort of hilarious though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just been looking at the billboard R&B chart and god its dismal - not a single thing to recommend, really. Maybe its just my taste but I swear I can go through the top selling rap singles and find at least 5 decent things in there...

Are there any good R&B shows on the radio? There must be DJs out there who are playing better stuff than this.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I bought a Bell Biv Devoe album from a charity shop in Tunbridge Wells a few months ago.

It is ace.

New R&B, well: I like Fantasia, K Michelle, and Quadron. As for Corpsey's point above, too much of what's called R&B these days is EDM/trap-based; the aforementioned are all kinda trad r&b, but there isn't much in this style, or at least that you're likely to hear about without endlessly trawling DatPiff for tapes.

There's a new TLC track for their greatest hits which is basically their old sound but somehow not as good (the lack of Left-Eye probably has something to do with that, and the presence of Ne-Yo, too).

For comparison, some classic TLC (awesome freezeframe too):

NATO

Does anyone know where I could D/L the Weeknd's third mixtape? Somehow lost it and only have the first 2 now.

Also, if you had to boil down the past 2-3 years of R'n'B into 5 or so must listen albums, what would they be?

Well behind with R'n'B and want to play catch up.

craner

Beast of Burden
Old R&B, sorry, but this documentary about New Edition is fantastic viewing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9ivu96RGU7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I trust you to find the next parts on your own via YouTube.