don_quixote

Trent End
it was just a tussle in the box which wasn't any foul by anyone. the slovenian went down because he fell strangely.

rooney didn't appeal for it, i think he thought the foul had been given against him.

oh and northern ireland 1-0 up at half time! what a mad group that is - what's up with the czechs?!

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

Have been watching Denmark vs Portugal - 1-0 to Denmark despite Portugal having at least 20 shots and Ronaldo umpteen free kicks. Quieroz is not going to be a popular man.*

Crucial matches all over the shop, this stage of the competition is great.

As far as I remember they had it down as a foul by Rooney or a 50-50 at least.

* Absolutely ridiculous match: 1-1 in the end, Portugal had 35 shots all told.

There was something quite rare in Italy-Georgia: Georgian captain Kaladze scored two own-goals, both stunners.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
International football in being-interesting shockah...

Europe have 13 berths out of the 32 - how many did they have in 2006?

On Argentina, from what I read in the papers, they'd be playing Mexico in a 5th place play-off vs Concacef, so not an easy match by any stretch, particularly with the dire state they're in.

I was quite chuffed to see Hungary doing so well in Portugal's group (have a soft spot for the country, and it's sad to see a once-mighty football nation reduced to also-rans), before i realised all their victories have been against Albania and Lichtenstein (or someone similar). nevertheless, encouraging signs.

Denmark/Sweden/Portugal is a tough group though, no, considering those three teams have made most of the recent finals tournaments?

crackerjack

International football in being-interesting shockah...

Europe have 13 berths out of the 32 - how many did they have in 2006?

On Argentina, from what I read in the papers, they'd be playing Mexico in a 5th place play-off vs Concacef, so not an easy match by any stretch, particularly with the dire state they're in.

I was quite chuffed to see Hungary doing so well in Portugal's group (have a soft spot for the country, and it's sad to see a once-mighty football nation reduced to also-rans), before i realised all their victories have been against Albania and Lichtenstein (or someone similar). nevertheless, encouraging signs.

Denmark/Sweden/Portugal is a tough group though, no, considering those three teams have made most of the recent finals tournaments?

Sweden are bastards to have in your group, as all England fans know. but Denmark haven't been much cop since they hit the groove just right in 92 and there's no way the Portuguese should be losing out to them. Quieroz is gonna go down as another of Fergie's great number twos who couldn't hack it alone.

don_quixote

Trent End
concacaf qualifying is in two stages, an elimination stage and then the "super 6" stage which is where we're at now.

europe peaked at 16 berths in 1998. i think they were down at 14 by 2006.

argentina should qualify, even if they do have to play off against concacaf. well i hope they do anyway, i want to see maradona do it.

denmark were absolute shite in qualifying for euro 2008 if i remember correctly. it's a little unfair to say theyve been rubbish since 1992 though - in particular they were fantastic in 1998, and did a job on italy in euro 2004.

portugal have fucked up though. and so have czech republic, although they looked on shaky ground at euro 2008.

huge games on wednesday:
bosnia vs turkey - turkey lose and bosnia look almost certainly to have secured 2nd spot in that group
hungary vs portugal
latvia vs switzerland
northern ireland vs slovakia
serbia vs france - incredibly huge game. if france lose not only would they almost certainly have missed out on top spot to serbia, they'd also more than likely be facing a winner takes all finale for second spot against austria in november
norway vs macedonia - winner could knock scotland out of second spot, depends if scotland lose or not. BUT it could also be all irrelevant since they're well placed to be the group with the worst second placed team so no-one would qualify. which would be mildly amusing considering the great outpouring of joy there will be if norway and macedonia do draw on wednesday night and scotland lose 6-0.
mexico vs honduras
paraguay vs argentina

so fuck england vs croatia! there's nothing riding on this game. england will beat belarus in their last game and will qualify if it comes down to that.

england vs croatia is much of a muchness. even if england lose they're more than likely to qualify in top spot.

those second placed teams standings in full - in groups with 6 teams results against the bottom team are eliminated (those in bold fill current 2nd placed berth, others included are in with a shout!):

team (group)/p/gd/pts
russia (4) 5 8 12
croatia (6) 6 3 11
ukraine (6) 6 3 11
france (7) 6 1 11
bulgaria (8) 6 5 10
latvia (2) 6 4 10
greece (2) 6 3 10
ireland (8) 6 2 10
scotland (9) 7 -4 10
bosnia (5) 5 5 9
sweden (1) 6 1 9
turkey (5) 6 1 8
slovenia (3) 6 1 8
northern ireland (3) 6 -1 8
hungary (1) 5 1 7
norway (9) 7 1 7
portugal (1) 6 1 7
macedonia (9) 7 -5 7
austria (7) 5 -2 6
poland (3) 5 -1 5

so as you can see - if scotland lose almost all those teams should overtake them if they are to finish second (all teams will end on 8 games - 10 points from 8 games is rubbish!!)

crackerjack

Scotland have two games less than everyone else, right? So does everyone else have their points from the games against the bottom team deducted?

don_quixote

Trent End
yes crackerjack - i've taken them away in the table. in a couple of the tables there's a bit of a battle not to finish bottom, but it's fairly clear from most groups.

basically, scotland are fucked, even if they beat holland.

mixed_biscuits

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
updates on the big matches

bosnia 1-1 turkey 2nd half
hungary 0-1 portugal half time
latvia 0-1 switzerland 2nd half
northern ireland 0-1 slovakia 2nd half
serbia 1-1 france half time
norway 2-0 macedonia but scotland still holding on. essentially this match may not even matter in the end.
mexico vs honduras kickoff 2am
paraguay vs argentina kickoff midnight

and saudi arabia are 1-0 up against bahrain in the playoff to play new zealand in another playoff

crackerjack

Was just comparing your last one with the scores. The French can fuck off - they'v been fading as a team since 2000 and were lucky to reach the last WC final. I won't mourn their absence - how good can they be if Vieira's still playing? At least we leave Beckham on the bench.

Talking of which, some pretty shexy football tonight. But the Croats have really fallen fast in 18 months.

crackerjack

This has all been marvellously easy.

So, England now have Rooney and Gerrard (walk-ins for any team in the world); Lampard playing some of the best football of his life; one of the best central defensive partnerships when Rio returns; two of the best attacking full-backs and a winger who can cause carnage at will.

All we need are
1/a world-class goalkeeper
2/ Rafa to stick cattle-prods up Johnson's arse until he learns how to defend
3/ Hargreaves to get fit and have good season
4/ Cole (C) to be given a proper go, see if we can get a Heskey who can score
5/ the midfield to learn how to play keep-ball like Spain

And that's the World Cup won.

don_quixote

Trent End
don't forget theo walcott

latvia have done a job on switzerland. turned it around and won 2-1 (oh hang on, the fifa website says 2-2. damn :/). im gutted that turkey ended up drawing though.

northern ireland out of it now. relying on san marino upsetting slovenia somehow and them beating the czechs in prague.

teams in second place can relax though - norway are almost certain to be the ones to miss out.

crackerjack

Portugal are now back in with a chance - they're 2 points behind Sweden and have home games against Hungary and Malta. Sweden are home to Malta and away to Denmark. Hmm.

And it's draws all round in the French group, so they'll be OK for 2nd if they beat (tough call Faroes.