Burial "Untrue"

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
its a shame that "pollywog" still has accesss to the internet.... i can't be bothered to read a thread with him spouting shite...

love the album though.... raver is something else.... the album is clearly one aspect of his sound, one that he does very well...., so saying its the "same just with vocals" or whatever is a bit of the mark.... ii think he has proper rolling drums... all the time frankly.... rolling does not mean 16th note shakers bustling along a grid sequencer to me...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I don't understand how that 'rudeboy' conversation could ever have taken place if they'd listened to etched headplate and (I think) shell of light...

I listened to this album for the first time on friday night! (on a night bus lol)

I love it :)

gumdrops

changed my mind. :p i think part of my dissapointment was just that i loved the first one so much that when i heard this, it wasnt the same surprise that the first album was. still dont think it hangs together as well as the last one, or as an 'album' as such - but ive warmed to it a lot. or rather, its defrosted the icicles where my heart is meant to be lol. still not sure about burial trying to get more 'dancey' - it sometimes makes this verge on tasteful (dare i say coffetable?) ambient-type 2step (untrue) whereas before it was pretty much its own post-UKG/jungle thing. etched headplate is my favourite track at the moment. quite like the dangelo sample on shell of light - works really well. the second half of this is better than the first half IMO.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
He's a total twat. Im sure hes still bollocking on about Dubstep being descended from Breaks... haha...

that ILM thread continues to astound me, why tim f gets bogged down with pollywog/dubmugga and pipecock i dont know. doesnt look like he likes Dissensians much though either!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
that ILM thread continues to astound me, why tim f gets bogged down with pollywog/dubmugga and pipecock i dont know. doesnt look like he likes Dissensians much though either!

Its like a slowly unfolding (but all too familiar) car crash... Dubmugga/ill advised racially motivated user name is the same as he ever was though (obsession with breaks, ludicrous assertions about the London bias of the dubstep scene, endless piss poor self-promotion...)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
And when my brother in law, who likes enigma and gregorian monks on a housebeat likes this as well, i wont be surprised.

the thing is I can't imagine anyone not liking it.. I've sent various bits and bobs around to loads of friends I gave up on musically a long time ago, and they all love it :) it's really open, accessible music. nothing wrong with that.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Well it doesn't work for me. He comes across as pretty sincere in the latest Wire interview though, and that counts for something. The music isn't some ersatz fakery, but I just don't like it!

shudder

the thing is I can't imagine anyone not liking it.. I've sent various bits and bobs around to loads of friends I gave up on musically a long time ago, and they all love it :) it's really open, accessible music. nothing wrong with that.

I dunno about that. Huge proportion of north american music *fans* would probably find it a bit of a head scratcher, as with most dance music.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I agree with Tim F that Burial is a break with the hardcore continuum, he's a parasitic figure in a sense, an outsider. Too well versed in its traditions to actually be a proper part of them...

But I disagree with him to the extent that I would strongly contend that what is more interesting than the actual music on the wax is what Burial points to, what he is diagnostic of in culture and the social more generally. Now whilst attempting to pinpoint this may be an inexact science, indeed may often amount to airy poppycock, its still more interesting than the actual music...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I enjoy the music more than the blogging myself :D

gek said:
he's a parasitic figure in a sense, an outsider. Too well versed in its traditions to actually be a proper part of them...

that's a very nice way of putting it though

Blackdown

nexKeysound
if tim f invested as much time in writing blogs or beats as he does fighting internet battles, he'd have a lot more to show for it!!

elgato

I just dont know
i think that

"the notion of continuum is so obviously clearly about the audience, whereas under the weird dissensian nu-rockist twist it suddenly becomes about the creator"

would bear out some interesting discussion

i think that thread has some great moments, despite a lot of nonsense

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
"the notion of continuum is so obviously clearly about the audience, whereas under the weird dissensian nu-rockist twist it suddenly becomes about the creator"

nonsense
Interesting discussion, yes.

How often must people misunderstand this? The 'nuum, such that it is, or was, is an emergent property of the 'scene(ius)', It just happens, and as such it's about both audience and creators, who of course are also often interchangeable.

That kind of polarised thinking just misses the point.

Burial as curator and re-animator is perhaps one of the exceptions to this.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Exactly- Burial is not IDM to the extent that his parasitism is antithetical to that of say Squarepusher on Jungle. A necromancer, not someone who thinks he can "do it better but in 3D"... the feeling of failure (glorious interesting failure) is paramount... it: the rave, 2step, the utopian social space etc... cannot be brought back, only re-animated.

I'm of the firm opinion now that the continuum urgently needs discarding as a hypothetical model for UK post-hardcore music. Its stretched so thin you can see right through it. In every conception be it the producer, the audience or some intersubjective scene between the two... is now so muddied as to be meaningless.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
In every conception be it the producer, the audience or some intersubjective scene between the two... is now so muddied as to be meaningless.
Originally it was driven by the feedback loop of - HEAR TUNE OUT - TRY AND MAKE TUNE THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT YOU HEARD OR BETTER - PLAY TUNE OUT - and so on. I'm not sure why that shouldn't still be operating - maybe the drugs are no good, or perhaps the signifiers and forms are all so familiar now that no-one is surprised by anything they hear.

Having said that what's happening with Bassline does seem to almost classically incorporate all supposed 'nuum characteristics.

But yeah, I'm pretty sick of talking about continua too.