Why Israel

swears

preppy-kei
A lot of American fundies have this weird doublethink attitude towards Judaism.
"The only path to God is through Christ...erm..except if you're Jewish because they're the chosen people as well, so err...support Israel!"

N

nomadologist

"The only path to God is through Christ...erm..except if you're Jewish because they're the chosen people as well, so err...support Israel!"

a dangerous idea if i ever heard one

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Zhao, you keep forgetting! It is only a "valid" point if it is "in-between" and dispassionate. Remember not to care too much about anything. This is, of course, easiest if you've never had to worry about anything, so I suggest you stop doing that, too.

Bollocks, you can contribute to a discussion with views as extreme as you like, but just yelling them without offering any supporting argument makes you look like a childish twat. Vimothy is 'racist' to some people here because he sides with Israel, but zhao can wander over and shout "death to the zionist scum!" and he's somehow making a valuable contribution because "at least he believes something"? (But as we've seen before, zhao would rather blindly 'believe' something, or anything, than use any faculty as square and un-hip as rational thought.)
What a crock of shit.

Last edited:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Bollocks, you can contribute to a discussion with views as extreme as you like, but just yelling them without offering any supporting argument makes you look like a childish twat. Vimothy is 'racist' to some people here because he sides with Israel, but zhao can wander over and shout "death to the zionist scum!" and he's somehow making a valuable contribution because "at least he believes something"?
What a crock of shit.

You're infinitely more comfortable critiquing postings than responding to the actual issues at hand, aren't you? You know, the kind of guy who's going to point out grammatical errors or "excessive" rhetoric rather than actually contribute something worth talking about.

Vimothy is racist because he believes in an essential exceptionalism for Palestinians (and Muslims more generally): they are exceptionally irrational/immoral, and therefore must be met with deadly violence, or at least, we must defend the use of deadly violence against them if we are to be fair and balanced. You yourself caught him sliming all Palestinians as barbarians, which he excused as saying he was simply using the tactics of the other side (incidentally, no one on this board [Vimothy always debating people posting elsewhere isn't he?] actually slandered all Jews or all Israelis, although the Zionists take a drubbing).

N

nomadologist

Bollocks, you can contribute to a discussion with views as extreme as you like, but just yelling them without offering any supporting argument makes you look like a childish twat. Vimothy is 'racist' to some people here because he sides with Israel, but zhao can wander over and shout "death to the zionist scum!" and he's somehow making a valuable contribution because "at least he believes something"? (But as we've seen before, zhao would rather blindly 'believe' something, or anything, rather than use any faculty as square and un-hip as rational thought.)
What a crock of shit.

I don't think Zhao was being literal, you see. I have the ability to detect emphatic overstatements of sentiment without getting too irked or thrown for a loop.

What was that you said earlier about "irony"?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You're infinitely more comfortable critiquing postings than responding to the actual issues at hand, aren't you? You know, the kind of guy who's going to point out grammatical errors or "excessive" rhetoric rather than actually contribute something worth talking about.

What? Until a couple of pages ago there was a pretty straight-ahead debate going on between me, Vim, Gek and several others about the actual issues at hand, which has careered off the rails since zhao turned up to fling around inflammatory slogans.

Go back and have a look, it's all there.

One of my bosses was from SE Asia, but his wife was Jewish so he converted. And kept kosher. He was one of these secular semitophiles--I always got the sense that his expressions of "faith" and his insistence on keeping kosher were ways to try to identify with the social status of prominent Jewish people in America. He certainly didn't seem too concerned with practicing Judaism on a basic level of prayer and Torah/Talmud reading.

Weird.

Increase your social mobility: exercise your consumer choice - buy another religion.

Like other products and commodities, belief in 'religion' is increasingly another example of an 'objectified belief': like that well known 'pseudo-neo-pomo-slovo-intellectual' [Dissensus contentus] Zizek's much-repeated anecdote about the cynical guy who claims not to be superstitious but who nevertheless keeps a horseshoe prominantly on display in his house. The clever guy has the horseshoe not because he subscribes to the belief that it has magical powers to conjure up good luck, but "because I've heard that it works even if you don't believe."

crackerjack

From what I understand the Fundies are pretty clear that the Jews aren't going to heaven, unless they accept JC as their saviour. They support Israel because its existence is a pre-condition for that 2nd coming/rapture/judgement day jamboree they're all gagging for.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Yeah, this is where it gets pretty convoluted: Israel was created for the Jews, let's protect Israel...but stop them from being Jews... :confused:

Maybe this will explain things: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1000/1000_01.asp

Haha, you've discovered a particularly juicy Chick Tract.

1000_11.gif

I thought the fundie Israel support was mostly just people listening to what their megachurches/Fox News tell them to think.

crackerjack

Haha, you've discovered a particularly juicy Chick Tract.

1000_11.gif

I thought the fundie Israel support was mostly just people listening to what their megachurches/Fox News tell them to think.

I was trying to post that exact same pic, but my pooter wouldn't let me/i don't know how :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
Death to the Zionist Dogs.

i was not going to post further in this topic, but after really thinking about what i have said, would like to issue a public apology:

the above statement by no way, shape, or form, was meant to disrespect, criticize, or alienate the friendly and good natured canine population. my blatantly speciest remark, in some respects, as nomad pointed out, was an "emphatic overstatement of sentiment", and the sincerest apology goes out to those offended by my off-handed and insensitive use of these lovely creatures to describe murderous, racist, self righteous scum.

ok. that felt good. now i am once again completely at peace with myself.

Last edited:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
i was not going to post further in this topic, but after really thinking about what i have said, would like to issue a public apology:

the above statement by no way, shape, or form, was meant to disrespect, criticize, or alienate the friendly and good natured canine population. my blatantly speciest remark, in some respects, as nomad pointed out, was an "emphatic overstatement of sentiment", and the sincerest apology goes out to those offended by my off-handed and insensitive use of these lovely creatures to describe murderous, racist, self righteous scum.

ok. that felt good. now i am once again completely at peace with myself.

Jewish%20Puppies.jpg

thanks_graphics_05.gif