post a picture of the place you live

N

nomadologist

it's been one of the best days of the year here, a crisp clear autumn day, so naturally i was drawn to the trees, cos they look awesome.

there's some really interesting architecture around your place--my neighborhood is all factories and housing projects :(

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I actually live round the corner

ah, it all falls into place

there's some trees where i live too!
station_road.jpg

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
there's some really interesting architecture around your place--my neighborhood is all factories and housing projects :(

thats the most interesting roof from an area which is all housing estates, most of them are a mish-mash of lo-rise housing estates built at different times, in varying states of good stead. I'm glad i got the shot of the little girl in the pink hijab in.
i had a few pics of seven sisters road which is a mish mash of drab flats over run-down shops and businesses which turn over quickly and are semi legal, there is a wicked fashion road called fonthill road nearby, which has really cheap fashion shops on it.
At the end of the road is the rainbow theatre where a wicked bob marley live show was recorded and the first death from the catch the bullet in the teeth trick was recorded. It's an African prosperity christianity church now.
Up stroud green road nearby is probably the first indie record label topic records, also we are home to the finsbury park mosque which saw alot of now famous radical muslims pass through it at one point in the early 2000's.
It's all weirdly wonky cos of subsidence and none of the streets and buildings are straight which is quite funny, as alot of north london is bog and clay.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
the view out of my flat window in south london near brixton. suprisingly quiet almost-suburban vibe. i did see two blokes fighting in a telephone box just down the road though, if you can imagine such a thing.

100_0843.JPG

meanwhile, darkness gathers over london:

DSC00162.JPG

nomos

Administrator
i did see two blokes fighting in a telephone box just down the road though, if you can imagine such a thing.
haha. in my old neighbourhood i saw a woman beating a guy with an (attached) payphone receiver. he never thought to step out of range :slanted:

N

nomadologist

thats the most interesting roof from an area which is all housing estates, most of them are a mish-mash of lo-rise housing estates built at different times, in varying states of good stead. I'm glad i got the shot of the little girl in the pink hijab in.
i had a few pics of seven sisters road which is a mish mash of drab flats over run-down shops and businesses which turn over quickly and are semi legal, there is a wicked fashion road called fonthill road nearby, which has really cheap fashion shops on it.
At the end of the road is the rainbow theatre where a wicked bob marley live show was recorded and the first death from the catch the bullet in the teeth trick was recorded. It's an African prosperity christianity church now.
Up stroud green road nearby is probably the first indie record label topic records, also we are home to the finsbury park mosque which saw alot of now famous radical muslims pass through it at one point in the early 2000's.
It's all weirdly wonky cos of subsidence and none of the streets and buildings are straight which is quite funny, as alot of north london is bog and clay.

It always strikes me how much less "urban planned" [no grid system, etc] but infinitely more liveable London seems than NYC or Philly or any of our eastern seaboard cities in the U.S. This is just based on pics and TV/films, because I haven't visited London or the U.K at all.

What is your neighborhood called? My boyfriend's sister lives in London and I think she may live near you cuz I've heard her talk about Fonthill Road. Forget what her street name is...

N

nomadologist

used to live right down the street from here:

Chez_Bushwick_Building.jpg

(this is a street infamous for being the place people take their cars and burn them to scam insurance money--no idea why)

Last edited:

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Assorted photos found on Flickr of the area I live in. It's a somewhat run down, out of the way, former industrial, now ghetto / artisty / hipster neighborhood with poor public transportation located near what used to be the Brooklyn waterfront. Of a Saturday afternoon you'll often see throngs of photographers with expensive cameras taking pictures of dilapidated warehouses and the Manhattan skyline. (Although in fairness there’s something about the light in that part of the city that is pretty amazing, and there’s plenty of strange stuff to see. The first time I went there I compared it to being in a Jim Jarmusch movie.)

134853938_a4e22c6289.jpg

867340146_6e2e400a3e.jpg

282001370_0d683118b2.jpg

385641241_636ebc5ca7.jpg

301767887_1588446515.jpg

1171326562_69320b3f1b.jpg

Stumbling across this photo was kind of weird. I used to spend way too much time hanging out in the bar pictured here, to the extent that a random photo taken by a stranger and found on the internet contains at least five people I know well. I dunno whether that says more about the neighbourhood, the bar, the amount of drinking I used to do there or the increasing degree to which pretty much everything can be found online somewhere...

1701406125_e5f49bbafa.jpg

N

nomadologist

amazing photos of red hook!! i love the waterfront, the navy yard, all the way down. were it not for the lack of ready subway access, i would get a place in red hook in a heartbeat. i've heard the area around the gowanus canal has some great finds, especially if you can afford to buy.

my next move is going to be to sunset park (or maybe closer to the "greenwood heights" area.) several friends live there and one has a huge loft to herself for only $900/month in a beautiful 3-family building. it just can't be beat for cheap rents, cheap markets, and a relative lack of disorganized crime.

0858028thavenb3.jpg

0958th59thwestlf1.jpg

0161st60thwestqp2.jpg

0361st60thwestzu6.jpg

1158th59thwestuv0.jpg

mms

sometimes
It always strikes me how much less "urban planned" [no grid system, etc] but infinitely more liveable London seems than NYC or Philly or any of our eastern seaboard cities in the U.S. This is just based on pics and TV/films, because I haven't visited London or the U.K at all.

What is your neighborhood called? My boyfriend's sister lives in London and I think she may live near you cuz I've heard her talk about Fonthill Road. Forget what her street name is...

some where like nyc is a hell of alot easier to get around, but in you have situations in london where poor live next to rich - there isn't that central core with the ghettos around the edges where you won't really see a white face like nyc. there is in smaller towns where estates are on the outskirts, but you don't really see that inside london.
I live in finsbury park, i really like it.

bassnation

the abyss
some where like nyc is a hell of alot easier to get around, but in you have situations in london where poor live next to rich - there isn't that central core with the ghettos around the edges where you won't really see a white face like nyc. there is in smaller towns where estates are on the outskirts, but you don't really see that inside london.
I live in finsbury park, i really like it.

i like that about london - but the negative feelings i have about it (and to be fair, this is a city thing rather than a fault of london per se) is seeing so many fucked up people all the time, its starting to do my head in. i moved back here six months ago, used to live here ten years ago and i had a rose-tinted of view of the place, like it was party land. of course the reality is different and its probably just a case of adapting to it. i find it difficult to maintain an emotional distance sometimes, and i sometimes wonder whether this is a good or bad thing. on the one hand i never want to be that hard that i don't care but other times i wish i could absorb it less. btw, as an aside where i live often i will be the only white person in the street (west norwood). its kind of interesting to see this reverse from what you get in some suburbs in the uk.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
btw, as an aside where i live often i will be the only white person in the street (west norwood). its kind of interesting to see this reverse from what you get in some suburbs in the uk.

But London doesn't seem to be a city where the colour of your face will make certain neighbourhoods a no-go area for you, which is the case in some American cities. Having said that, for all I know this might be said for some other English towns, maybe Birmingham or Oldham, where racial tensions are more severe - but in recent years the really bad antagonism seems to have been between black and Asian groups, rather than white vs. non-white.

bassnation

the abyss
But London doesn't seem to be a city where the colour of your face will make certain neighbourhoods a no-go area for you, which is the case in some American cities. Having said that, for all I know this might be said for some other English towns, maybe Birmingham or Oldham, where racial tensions are more severe - but in recent years the really bad antagonism seems to have been between black and Asian groups, rather than white vs. non-white.

no, agreed, but i still come across racist people down here - even though they've grown up in this totally mixed environment, have friends of all races. its weird, sometimes people seem to be able to separate their personal politics from their stated ones, which are often widely divergent.

N

nomadologist

But London doesn't seem to be a city where the colour of your face will make certain neighbourhoods a no-go area for you, which is the case in some American cities.

In the few "ghetto" neighborhoods in the burroughs where you see enclaves of white people, they are usually hipsters/"artsy" types (the Hassidim call all young whites in Williamsburg "die Artisten", kinda funny), and they are reviled for gentrifying and raising rent, more often than not.

NYC racism anecdote: My neighborhood is about 60% Puerto Rican/Dominican/Mexican/Assorted latino and 40% black. Once I was in a taxi with a couple of friends coming back from Manhattan, and the Pakistani driver started getting really antsy as we drove past Williamsburg. When we got to the loft building where I live he refused to pull over and kept arguing that we must be lost (no I can't let you out here) as if he didn't believe we could possibly live around there. Finally, when we insisted he let us out, he said nervously "very bad very bad--do you know that black people live here??"

The only neighborhoods I've felt seriously afraid for my life in before are the South Bronx and certain parts of Bed Stuy. You can't even get pizza delivered in the borderline between Bed Stuy and Bushwick, it's so bad...

N

nomadologist

i like that about london - but the negative feelings i have about it (and to be fair, this is a city thing rather than a fault of london per se) is seeing so many fucked up people all the time, its starting to do my head in.

do ya mean public drunkeness? or homeless people?