Teaching

jenks

thread death
i'd stay back at work but i carshare :/

Then set yourself clear rules - don't work after dinner, that kind of thing. Have a commitment once a week that forces you to go do something different. The cliche about work/life balance is very important - it is very easy for the job to fill whatever space you let it.

I have discovered getting out on my bike, finding friends who are not teachers and having a family have all helped into putting the job back in its box. But, in the end, there is no way round the fact that the first two years are bastard hard but it's probably the same with any decent job!

don_quixote

Trent End
sleep has got a lot better. my main problem was going to bed too early; like half 9 - 10ish and then wondering why i was waking up at half 5... well duhr. applying like mental for jobs now, any tips in that regard? people seem to be suggesting i bullshit about how much a certain school is the dream job for me even tho im only going to be applying there cos theyve got a maths job going and it's where i want to be

matt b

Indexing all opinion
sleep has got a lot better. my main problem was going to bed too early; like half 9 - 10ish and then wondering why i was waking up at half 5... well duhr. applying like mental for jobs now, any tips in that regard? people seem to be suggesting i bullshit about how much a certain school is the dream job for me even tho im only going to be applying there cos theyve got a maths job going and it's where i want to be

Don't lie.

Research the school in question- in-take, results, value added, structure, non-curriculum activities etc etc

don_quixote

Trent End
Things that you may find irritating whilst teacher training on a PGCE:

- the easiness of classwork contrasted with the difficulty of placements
- cringeworthily patronising lectures ('don't spit at gypsies' etc)
- the politicisation of education academics
- the lack of current school work experience amongst the academic staff
- biased lectures and essay topics ('write in praise of...')
- paperwork: chronicling every whistle and fart in triplicate
- the uselessness of academic smarts for many parts of the job
- the tedium of many parts of the job
- the mounting slope of increasing, real, responsibility
- anxiety-making observations, the seemingly never-ending supply of

The most annoying thing is that it is so difficult (or at least it was in my experience) to wing anything - it is this novel, somewhat persistent, sensation (I had previously been able to avoid anything truly challenging) that has, annoyingly, kept me slogging away at the job (which I do actually (now) enjoy).

- yes. and im at a 'nice' school.
- hmmmm. sometimes.
- yeah, this gets me into trouble with teachers
- sometimes. isnt really an issue.
- not been a problem
- OH DEAR JESUS YES
- academic smarts are mostly not around right now
- sometimes
- yes. my first placement feels a lot more successful than the current one right now. feel a bit like ive hit a brick wall and...
- im fed up of teachers picking holes in what i do when they seem to do the same things?

yeah i cant wing anything but you cant even sort of wing things. you have to plan and plan again and then plan again and i really fucking hate constantly playing by class teachers rules to avoid further misery.

the most annoying thing is that on this placement i dont really look forward to many of my lessons.

ps i have a job for next year though. which is something to look forward to at least.

jenks

thread death
Well done on getting the job - the rest of what Mixed says is pretty accurate and I can understand what drives you nuts about the planning etc, especially when you see the others failing to do what you have to do to pass your course.

I think as long as you have a decent NQT mentor then next year will feel so much better - make sure that you get timetabled meeting times with them, sort it out now, whilst the tiemtable is still being put together. Have you the chance to go in on an Early Start programme? Do so if you can, it'll make the transition in Sept so much smoother.

Finally, every eyar gets easier, soon you'll have a bunch of lessons/techniques in your metaphorical kitbag and whilst you won't ever truly wing it it might feel like it at times cos of of all teh previous work you have put in. No door handle lesson is ever really that way, the groundwork has gone in over time and anyone who tells you differently is either a really awful teacher or a fibber.

don_quixote

Trent End
good luck!!

mine was a chat with the interviewers (there were two, one from the uni and one from a partner school) and the other candidates about questions like "what is the point of school?" and about education... then there was the solo interview where they asked me about my current experience and why i'd be a good teacher and then they asked me to explain pythagoras' theorem as if they were kids... yikes. yeah i flopped there but it didn't really matter.

it was pretty relaxed all in all and took about an hour and a half or so. oh they got me to sit a basic literacy test... youre applying for english arent you? they might get you to sit a basic numeracy test.

don_quixote

Trent End
on second thoughts they probably wont. it wasnt a literacy test as such, they made me write a descriptive piece on my best teacher or something like that. i think it was just ensuring i could write coherent english which is needed for the assignments you do.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, they mentioned a literacy test in the letter...or was it an assignment, I can't remember. Sounds like the sort of thing that shouldn't cause any problems, but then you never know...

I'm dreadfully anxious about this for some reason.

I have a week to think about it anyway.

As long as they don't make me explain pythagoras' theorem, it should be ok.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, I won't be able to get my hair cut in time, so I'm worried they'll think I'm some sort of mad bohemian.