Teaching

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oddly on topic, but I've got an interview for a secondary science PGCE at Cambridge in...ooh, about three and a half hours. Wish me luck guys!

Edit: massive congrats to craner. :)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Congrats to Craner and best of luck to Mr Tea...Dissensus is running the PGCE game right about now.

In reaction to Craner's rejection prediction and eventual success, I don't know anyone (except me sometimes, in cases where it is certain I won't get the job) who comes out of interviews with the words "OK, that went quite well."

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Ha ha! They only went and offered me a place! I'm in shock! And delighted! And, frankly, did I say this? Shocked! I woudln't have.

Anyway, major hurdle No. 1, cleared.

Those mad bastards at UEA.

Respect, Oliver

jenks

thread death
Indeed, well done.

I bet all those cocky unflustered ones came over as already too set in their ways whilst you came across as human and a bit baffled - not a bad description of a teacher!

And good luck to Mr T - as i have said to Craner - any advice i can offer, just ask.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Went quite well, I thought. Talked about empiricism, paradigms and Kuhn in an essay on 'How Science Works' in the secondary curriculum...managed not to used 'dialectic' or 'narrative' though, I'm pleased to say. :) Will add more tomorrow, I have to go and get drunk with Idle now.

mixed_biscuits

So by the time I arrive at school I’ve already been up a few hours after a bad night’s sleep. There is usually ten minutes of peace in my classroom before the first pupils start drifting in… and then there’s no moment to draw a deep breath until seven hours later. The day is filled with tiresome parrot-type repetition as I snap the usual lines of “coats off, gum in the bin” and then try to avoid engaging in debate about school uniform; quick interactions with other flustered staff; giving out numerous notices and doing admin during fifteen minutes of registration; having thirty seconds to switch gear between an A level class and a Year Seven special needs group; deflecting arguments; running lunchtime meetings or detentions; doing duties; sorting broken computers and printers whilst retaining eyes in the back of my head; absorbing hormonal stresses of angsty teenagers; filling in paperwork about being sworn at or confiscating cigarettes; chasing photocopies and updating whiteboard resources; and overall, trying to teach and ensure that all pupils in the room are learning something in that lesson. There is rarely time to stop and pause for a moment.

Good luck, guys.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
So by the time I arrive at school I’ve already been up a few hours after a bad night’s sleep. There is usually ten minutes of peace in my classroom before the first pupils start drifting in… and then there’s no moment to draw a deep breath until seven hours later. The day is filled with tiresome parrot-type repetition as I snap the usual lines of “coats off, gum in the bin” and then try to avoid engaging in debate about school uniform; quick interactions with other flustered staff; giving out numerous notices and doing admin during fifteen minutes of registration; having thirty seconds to switch gear between an A level class and a Year Seven special needs group; deflecting arguments; running lunchtime meetings or detentions; doing duties; sorting broken computers and printers whilst retaining eyes in the back of my head; absorbing hormonal stresses of angsty teenagers; filling in paperwork about being sworn at or confiscating cigarettes; chasing photocopies and updating whiteboard resources; and overall, trying to teach and ensure that all pupils in the room are learning something in that lesson. There is rarely time to stop and pause for a moment.

Good luck, guys.

link?

This is somewhat of a copout, but to some extent, you do have a choice of what sort of institution you work in (although it may take time- it took me 4 years and A LOT of luck). But most schools/colleges are actually very good, invigorating places to work in.

I have no qualms saying that I love my job, it is far more satisfying than the work most of my friends are in and lacks much of the shit they have to deal with. I suppose we deal with a diiferent sort of shit, but becoming a teacher was one of the best things I ever actively chose to do.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Went quite well, I thought. Talked about empiricism, paradigms and Kuhn in an essay on 'How Science Works' in the secondary curriculum...managed not to used 'dialectic' or 'narrative' though, I'm pleased to say. :) Will add more tomorrow, I have to go and get drunk with Idle now.

nice one.. I always find the old idea, lead them up the hill, rather than shout at them from atop it, useful.

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

I'm guessing because they're too busy getting on with it :)

only an insensitive tit could write a post like this

Why is that insensitive?

Presumably one is entitled to some spare time, which could be used for blogging, walking the dog, posting on dissensus... The wannabe martyrs are almost as bad as the despondent ranters.

What would be nice to find is a teacher blogging about their successes and failures in communicating their subject rather than getting the buggers to behave - would be good to see 'reflective teaching' in action and stimulate discussion about the most specific of teaching points.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
What would be nice to find is a teacher blogging about their successes and failures in communicating their subject rather than getting the buggers to behave - would be good to see 'reflective teaching' in action and stimulate discussion about the most specific of teaching points.

I'd rather focus on doing the job, and use dissensus, blogs etc as a diversion rather than some sort of reactionary vent, but that's just me.

there are good teacher blogs, but they tend to be content specific and therefore useful. Me? I add to our VLE.

faustus

on a slightly unrelated note, ive just got a job teaching over the summer at EF, the biggest language school in the world and "official language school of the beijing olympics". any1 got any experience with this? on first impressions it just seems like a mill, offering short contracts to people without even a proper TEFL qualification, giving activity "leaders" groups of 34 (!) foreign kids to look after. would be interested to know people's feelings about the enormous english-language school industry, supposedly the third-largest growing industry in the world (i was told that, dont ask for proof)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So there I was yesterday evening at a college of one of the world's elite institutes of academe, with 800 years of philosophical enquiry, political influence, prestige and wealth behind it, training the leaders, thinkers and scientists of tomorrow. I'd been given a voucher for a free meal in this vaulted Great Hall that wouldn't have looked out of place in Hogwarts, and what was on the dinner menu?

Beefburger, chicken burger, fish burger or cheese'n'tomato pizza, with ice cream and tinned peaches for afters.

Genius. :D

4linehaiku

Repetitive
on a slightly unrelated note, ive just got a job teaching over the summer at EF, the biggest language school in the world and "official language school of the beijing olympics". any1 got any experience with this? on first impressions it just seems like a mill, offering short contracts to people without even a proper TEFL qualification, giving activity "leaders" groups of 34 (!) foreign kids to look after. would be interested to know people's feelings about the enormous english-language school industry, supposedly the third-largest growing industry in the world (i was told that, dont ask for proof)

My mum teaches people how to teach TEFL, which is rather recursive, but I'm pretty sure it makes sense. Alas, she doesn't post on Dissensus. She's been doing it for ages though, so might have some illuminating insight into how it's changed over the years etc. Will ask her next time I'm on the phone.
I don't really see how you're allowed to teach EFL without a TEFL qualification though, does that not rather defeat the whole point in them?

On a more general note, I have the utmost respect for teachers, but really do think you must be completely mad. I suppose that's quite a common opinion.