Teaching

mixed_biscuits

Yeah, good info but I'm still looking for a blog by a working teacher that discusses personal successes and difficulties in delivering the curriculum, focusing on detail - on what appears to work with the delivery of certain concepts and what doesn't - and, in the blogger's opinion, why.

For instance, I found one particular way of introducing long division that has worked with every class I have used it on (whereas other methods haven't). I think it works because of the very particular way in which I do it: the wording, choice of preliminary example, delivery of exercises etc... If I were to blog about it I would give the exact spiel and all attendant materials before explaining/justifying my practice and attempting to locate it within a theoretical framework. IMHO would be very interesting to read such close analysis by working teachers.

Indeed, I think that this kind of careful analysis of practice is sorely lacking in training courses, INSETs etc - too often everybody ends up talking about broad issues in vague terms when the devil is so frequently to be found in the detail...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I don't teach in a school, so have no idea about that sort of stuff. Geoff Petty (who I mentioned in this thread ages ago) is pretty helpful, but doesn't blog

craner

Beast of Burden
Looking at my UEA reading list, there's some good stuff (Henry V, Tempest, Dickens etc) apart from Year 6 & 7 sex texts. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that I'd have to familiarise myself with Children's fiction.

I've got to read Jaqueline Wilson! Aaargh!

And, I suppose, bloody J K Rowling.

I may end up a rather growling Yr 6 teacher.

jenks

thread death
Looking at my UEA reading list, there's some good stuff (Henry V, Tempest, Dickens etc) apart from Year 6 & 7 sex texts. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that I'd have to familiarise myself with Children's fiction.

I've got to read Jaqueline Wilson! Aaargh!

And, I suppose, bloody J K Rowling.

I may end up a rather growling Yr 6 teacher.

If you teach secondary you won't be teaching Wilson or Rowling - might be worth you having a look at things like Skellig and Holes though. Boy in Striped Pyjamas seems popular at some places at present and some teach Curious Incident. Some morpurgo might be worth knowing as well

Still plenty of room for Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men but I think texts like the Turbulent term of Tyke Tyler, The Machine Gunners, Carrie's War and Stig of the Dump have been consigned to the recycling bin.

I got taught Moonfleet in what is now known as Y8 and I have never forgiven our Engish teacher Saggy Harris (or forgotten her nickname)

jenks

thread death
This makes me :(.

First nostalgic post on lower school texts arrives on time from Mr T - should have put money on it!

Yes - sad about Stig but not Carrie's War surely - I've got a copy you can have to remind you - You can have The Ghost of Thomas Kempe as well!

craner

Beast of Burden
How to become unaccountably popular with Year 7 boys and unpopular with the General Teaching Council in one fell swoop.

Ha ha, I didn't even notice that! Oh dear, oh dear.

craner

Beast of Burden
Did anyone else get taught Talking in Whispers and Z for Zachariah in school, or was it just my crazy institution? I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad about it: the former about Chilean death squads, the second about nuclear holocaust. Still, it was a relief to get to Macbeth.

jenks

thread death
Did anyone else get taught Talking in Whispers and Z for Zachariah in school, or was it just my crazy institution? I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad about it: the former about Chilean death squads, the second about nuclear holocaust. Still, it was a relief to get to Macbeth.

I threw out a great big pile of Z for Zach just recently - been a bit of a purge in teh stock cupboard led by some gung-ho members of the dept who kept asking 'Who is still teaching this shit?'

I am the old bastard who makes them read Great Expectations in Y8!

craner

Beast of Burden
Good man, I will be like you, I feel.

I'm also going to be very strict on punctuation. Its and It's is a big thing for me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
First nostalgic post on lower school texts arrives on time from Mr T - should have put money on it!

Yes - sad about Stig but not Carrie's War surely - I've got a copy you can have to remind you - You can have The Ghost of Thomas Kempe as well!

Heh, am I really that predictable? :) I remember very little about it other than a quite cool scary cover with a painting of a skull on it - it could well have been atrocious for all I can recall. Stig was quality, though. I still remember him trying to strike matches the wrong way round...Christ, how and why do I still retain this stuff? Brains are weird.

don_quixote

Trent End
hey everyone. tips for a first week in a new school?

and what should i be doing now? just getting my body clock back in order, or a lot more than that?

mixed_biscuits

For your first lesson with each class, prepare reasonably straightforward work in great quantities. This keeps the class busy, leaving you space to concentrate on managing behaviour. Make seating plans, memorise names, establish what your expectations are...

As for what you should be doing now...Make you sure that how you are going to approach teaching the first few concepts of the term (you're Maths, right?) is _very_ clear in your own mind as there will be pupils who will be keen to test your ability to think on your feet. Prepare a stock of games/puzzles that can be used lesson after lesson - it's good to establish a routine early, especially if the routine involves fun stuff.

If the teaching is solid and the pupils feel that they are progressing, then you're winning, as word soon gets round to other pupils, teachers and parents.

Last edited: