Teaching

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm not being flippant or sarcastic when I say you do sound like the perfect PGCE student and trainee teacher. I will be taking cues from you, I think. (I hope.) Expect PMs! I'm having to re-arrange my mindset. Selling all my Jess Franco DVDs is the least of it. At the moment I'm more engaged with the political and theoretical side of teaching, which worries me a little. I mean, the UEA course also has Masters credits so that's useful, but it's the practical side that holds fear for me. That's unknown territory. Without trying to sound like a twat, I know academia, I've done it and got all the best grades, Firsts and distinctions all that, but a PGCE is, essentially I think, non-academic, it's professional training. This is why I'm getting frustrated with the jargon and the 'debates' that go back to, I have to say, the quasi-Marxist* theoretical bullshit I was swallowing during my academic career. (The Thatcher-bashing seems endless! The head of school's lecture hinged on the cancelation of school milk!)

I want to get to a school promptly, however much I'm enjoying the UEA campus facilities (a bar right next to the library with pints for £2.50 and nubile babes - I'm 31, way too old for this...)

* I can elaborate on this, don't worry.

mixed_biscuits

You need to ignore it, or it will eat you up. Observe it wryly from a distance. If you make a fuss, sod's law the Marxist-minded tutor you could so easily embarrass over who-knows-what-spurious-point in class will be the mentor who decides whether you pass or fail come the end of the course. Indulge them, and keep your venting to Dissensus.

jenks

thread death
You might need some of that quasi marxism when you hit a staffroom and realise that most teachers seem to read The Daily Mail and think UKIP have a point. Many of them even thin Melanie Philips isn't mad.

I agree that the PGCE is a practical qualification with a patina of theory smeared across its surface. Amongst the shit there is useful stuff - some of the AfL bits can really help a new teacher get a grip quickly and ideas about learning to learn may sound silly but when you have seen them in practice in class you might well change your mind.

I'd also make sure you got some good Interactive White Board training as that new piece of kit can be a god send.

I am just about to embark on the first part of an MA in the Teaching of Shakespeare and so am having to reimmerse myself in the world of educational jargon. I am at the University of Warwick today and tomorrow and the material I have been sent has already included the word 'journey' in that X factor kind of way!

craner

Beast of Burden
I came across AfL at the Secondary observation placement I did in July - I thought it was a really good idea, actually. When I first heard about it, I thought it was mad - kids marking each other's work? Yeah, right! But they actually seemed to go for it quite sincerely, which suggests that the theory does work in practice. Or that kids aren't total piss-takers like they were in my day. Or I was in a freak school or something.

The guy who runs the corner shop at the end of my street said to me this morning, "tell me which school you get sent to, and I'll give you the low down." What a nice place Norwich is!

University of Warwick is a great Uni Jenks. My dad used to teach there. One famous alumini is of course...K-Punk!

don_quixote

Trent End
1) minature whiteboards are the best invention ever
2) sulking, tantrum throwing y10-11 girls are fucking hideous to deal with

sleeping is becoming an issue again. getting to sleep isnt the problem. it's the waking up at 4am. people say a notepad and pen helps?

i got seriously into the academic side of things at the end last year. i was all over journals, but school is the place you want to be.

luka

craner had a conviction for pederasty things a couple of years ago, is this going to be an obstacle for him>?

craner

Beast of Burden
Luka is trying to ruin my life, because of jealousy. Two girls from my course are taking me on a trip to Cromer on Sunday. And they're really pretty. This might be because I'm so handsome and well-dressed and charming, but who knows?

craner

Beast of Burden
NUT now, by the way. Hi, Comrades!

Also the other two at my interview didn't get on. In case you were wondering.

don_quixote

Trent End
yeah the other one from my interview didnt get on either.

cromer is nice.

i hope my voice is going to be ok. it seems ok. i haven't tried shouting again recently though.

hucks

Your Message Here
Cromer and Sheringham are both good. Burnham Overy Staithe is my favourite in North Norfolk, though almost all of it is great. My brother is a teacher in Norwich

jenks

thread death
Luka is trying to ruin my life, because of jealousy. Two girls from my course are taking me on a trip to Cromer on Sunday. And they're really pretty. This might be because I'm so handsome and well-dressed and charming, but who knows?

I hope you wear those wellies again. I have pictures of them somewhere, I am sure the ladies will love them.

craner

Beast of Burden
I just completed my first ever detailed lesson plan! Get in!

I can hear a pint whispering my name...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i was in the middle of smiting the rich and powerful this afternoon, expecting revolutionary fervour, when i turned round and a student was taking off his sock to look at a blister he wanted to show everyone.

only 40 more UCAS references to write, 40 AS students to interview, 20 essays to mark, resources for next week to prepare...

don_quixote

Trent End
I just completed my first ever detailed lesson plan! Get in!

I can hear a pint whispering my name...

well done pal! mine got longer the more i did them... and then shorter again. remembering to do everything in the classroom is impossible sometimes!