Tim F

EZ - who ran this era - was playing Landslide and Zinc tracks, it *was* garage, whatever EZ played in 2000 was garage, be it Azzido da bass, zinc, todd edwards or so solid.

I dunno, of all the big DJs at the time EZ was probably the most diverse, and in a lot of ways his increasing diversity did him no favours - see the massive massive massive drop-off in quality from from the UK Garage Flava comp and the first three Pure Garage comps to the fourth Pure Garage comp. The self-conscious eclecticism actually came across as slightly desperate, like he couldn't find enough tunes to excite him.

I accept the logic of what you're saying but with a lot of these figures it felt like they were only crossing into the scene fully on a track by track basis. Like, "Kinda Funky" became garage through ubiquity, but I don't think of a lot of the rest of the bingo beats discography of that era as garage.

In much the same way that DJ Gregory's "Don't Panic" is honourary UK funky but DJ Gregory isn't a UK funky producer as such.

I totally concede the point on "Incurable Voices" though, and then some. I haven't heard that in so long that I'd forgotten about it but it was a brilliant track. I think that predated "Round The Corner" though, yeah?

Haven't heard "Betcha Did (Landslide Dub)". Who's the original artist?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Kinda Funky was late in a long line of breakbeat garage tunes that were massive in garage from 138 Trek onwards. Zinc was the biggest producer on road for about a year, then the whole formula totally played itself out!

(Wookie's stuff, by contrast, has dated sooo much better - i heard Zinc drop Wookie's kinda funky remix at one of the closing nights of The End. Mmmm lovely)

Betcha is by Kaidi Tatham.

nomos

Administrator
re: wookie - i've been playing Loco (flip of Weird Science) for months in funky sets. rhythmically it's very close to the funky template but coupled with that brand of bass science that he's abandoned in his actual funky tracks.

alex

Do not read this.
wookie - hype up/trooper....such a tune, wookie is like, one of the best, if not the..

sorry for posting that in this thread, had to though

re: wookie - i've been playing Loco (flip of Weird Science) for months in funky sets. rhythmically it's very close to the funky template but coupled with that brand of bass science that he's abandoned in his actual funky tracks.
Loco is a superb tune, for some reason it always reminded of Underground Resistance's jazzy stuff

i think Beyond's done. The next Rinse affiliated night is Air I think.

Edit- They've got the weekly at the O2 as well, forgot about that.

Tim F

Kinda Funky was late in a long line of breakbeat garage tunes that were massive in garage from 138 Trek onwards. Zinc was the biggest producer on road for about a year, then the whole formula totally played itself out!

I agree with this if the "then" in the last sentence refers to circa early 2001. Also I'm not aware of any zinc breakbeat garage tracks I liked apart from "138 Trek" (which is a massive anthem obv). Though his stuff was better than the DJ Hype material.

Over the course of that time period (mid-2000 to mid-2001) I would have said The Wideboys were the biggest producers on road in terms of ubiquity and dancefloor reaction to their productions.

But yeah the Wookie mix of "Kinda Funky" is fabulous, as is the Zed Bias mix of "138 Trek". At the time it struck me that both were instances of producers sympathetic to breakbeat garage dragging the originals just far enough back towards 2-step that they regained some of the latter's juicy swing.

Conversely the DJ Hype remix of Bias's "Jigga Up" and the Zinc remix of Wookie's "Back Up Back Up Back Up" were perfect examples of the opposite transformation totally eliminating everything that was good about the original.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
How would people categorise Innami by Mickey Pearce, would you see it as a funky track? To me, it's almost a 'wot do u call it moment' type of tune, it seems to use elements from funky, dubstep and dancehall without sounding exactly like any of them. Killer tune, anyway.

alex

Do not read this.
Andy bruv, i have been on @ shortstuff, mickey & martin about that one for time, tune is ill, if it drops it will be release of the year, imo

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Conversely the DJ Hype remix of Bias's "Jigga Up" and the Zinc remix of Wookie's "Back Up Back Up Back Up" were perfect examples of the opposite transformation totally eliminating everything that was good about the original.

I prefer the RMX of Back Up

faustus

Donaeo Zephron said:
PARTY HARD ALBUM SAMPLER CLICK HERE http://www.sendspace.com/file/prkv2p

THIS LINK WILL ONLY BE UP FOR 12 HOURS

5 tunes i hadnt heard before

Riot Music
Watching Her Move
I'm Strong
Love My Music
I Want You To Be My Girlfriend (?)

all around 125-130

album out start of June, i am really excited about this. hope 'love to happen' is on it. party hard, devil in a blue dress, african warrior will be. i guess a second CD of instrumentals might be asking too much...