Tim F

I think the "Reign"/D Double E freestyle starts off a bit dubiously but when it gets to the section where D Double says "I'm gonna put my hand through the letterbox" etc. and the second layer of beats comes in it becomes very very amazing.

I think because of the sense of forward propulsion in funky, the faster the rapping is the better, it's really the velocity and the interplay between the vocals and the rhythm that makes it work.

Getting across an actual point becomes much less important. So someone like JME, who is usually quite measured and very focused on punchlines, doesn't suit funky as much as he does grime.

Many thanks Ach, December 08 HHB sets are prob my fav funky mixes
yeah thanks for the link Ach!
Banton and Wonder shows on Deja from October-December 08 are also my favorite stuff in a long long time, I'm not only talking about funky now. Its a shame that they barely play almost any of those tunes anymore... with their work rate and the amount of new stuff they build every month lots of wicked tunes are getting forgotten pretty soon, shame cause most of them were release ready.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Grunky refixes

Ok, Dissensus hive-mind, now is the time when I need your help! :D
I'm trying (as ever :rolleyes: ) to write a blog article, and it touches on the relationships that have emerged between grime and funky. One of the things that I wanted to discuss was funky refixes of classic grime tunes, and I was wondering if people could help me put together a list of them to date. The only ones I can think of right now are Lil Silva's Pulse vs Flex and Grievous Angel's (excellent) recent Ice Rink refix. But I'm fairly confident that there are some other obvious ones out there that just aren't coming to mind right now...

mos dan

fact music
'when i'm ere' g dub rmx is the one that immediately comes to mind. which is probably because i've been listening to it constantly :)

pls do write the blog post!

when's mak10 on?

faustus

'when i'm ere' g dub rmx is the one that immediately comes to mind. which is probably because i've been listening to it constantly :)

think you'll struggle to find many others. hardly 'classics' yet but there is the remix of 'nasty nasty nasty' and d.o.k.'s of his own warning

viktorvaughn

Ok, Dissensus hive-mind, now is the time when I need your help! :D
I'm trying (as ever :rolleyes: ) to write a blog article, and it touches on the relationships that have emerged between grime and funky. One of the things that I wanted to discuss was funky refixes of classic grime tunes, and I was wondering if people could help me put together a list of them to date. The only ones I can think of right now are Lil Silva's Pulse vs Flex and Grievous Angel's (excellent) recent Ice Rink refix. But I'm fairly confident that there are some other obvious ones out there that just aren't coming to mind right now...

How about mcs vocalling funky tunes? Could be a richer furrow.

optimum

Poochie
yeah thanks for the link Ach!
Banton and Wonder shows on Deja from October-December 08 are also my favorite stuff in a long long time, I'm not only talking about funky now. Its a shame that they barely play almost any of those tunes anymore... with their work rate and the amount of new stuff they build every month lots of wicked tunes are getting forgotten pretty soon, shame cause most of them were release ready.

Hello David! Yeah, I agree man HHB/DPW could put an album out each with the material on those sets, so many good tunes especially the ones with the big pads. Thanks for the original recordings too ;)

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I've got this set from last year (Deja Vu FM - Hard House Banton b2b Dubplate Wonder 09-12-2008), but don't have any earlier than that. Any chance of an upload or links for October/November ones?