franz

i could see a case being made for that in the instance of Black Sun, but i don't see that with Wad at all... what is it bridging from exactly?

on the Kode tip, it's been great to hear his mix of Reminissin' popping up again in sets lately, and i think there is maybe as much kinship there as there is in his most recent 12 (which ostensibly was '9 doing funky').

don't have time to develop this much, but i think it's worth remembering that funky is receiving influence (or 'pressure' if you like) to be something other than just "Do You Mind"* a lot of places that aren't dubstep... certain strands of deep house, 2step/garage, broken beat, grime, techno, and certainly Kwaito and other Soca forms... tracks like Reign and Yellowtail and Feline have come as much from people considered wholly 'within' the scene as they have from this fictitious '-step' peril.

what boomkat is saying, or what one of yr square friends thinks about Pearson Sound or Night Slugs isn't exactly cause to slag on the music itself, which should continue to be produced and fit where it may.

benjybars

village elder.
This thread needs venn diagrams I reckon, just so everyone knows what's what.

haha.

like that Neil Tempa one from 2003, showing the different branches of dark garage..

Allow slagging off Black Sun and Wad tho.. stupidness.

mms

sometimes
P.S. Craner i'm in love with Cooly G too, which is why I find the whole discourse so vexing. I guess it'd be the equivalent of reading Photek circa 1995 dismissing other jungle.

fuck me she said she doesn't like the 100s of skank tracks, photek ? who u tryna kid ? over dramatic and way too fussy really.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
^this is on point. my favorite music in any genre almost always falls into a similar category: stuff that pushes the envelope, but still works on the dancefloor.
Tunes like Wad/Black Sun/Natty Dub, don't really do either IMO. Most of that stuff just sounds really dull and aimless to me. Even as experimental music I don't find the ideas very interesting at all. A lot of my friends who have good taste in music really love this stuff, but it still just leaves me cold.

interested to know why natty dub is anymore or less 'experimental' than eskimo or igloo?
interested to know why its getting compared to wad and black sun too, when it's a million miles from both.

kills it on a dancefloor, sounds fresh as fuck standard.
dunno about wad but black sun sounds mental too.

viktorvaughn

when my mates have heard hessley stuff in a mix they thought it was minimal rather than dubstep or dubstep/funky crossover, not sure what that signifies really though.

mms

sometimes
when my mates have heard hessley stuff in a mix they thought it was minimal rather than dubstep or dubstep/funky crossover, not sure what that signifies really though.

yes it is minimal/ dubstep innit, as far as i can see, or dubstep made with minimal tools. funky's maximal big kicks, stabs, basslines synths, vocals, that stuff's out on its own a bit, i reckon carving it's own niche across genres with its own set of principles. not my thing though really, a bit too dry / techy for my tastes, although i can respect it, like people who do what they want rather than endlessly fussing and making predictable predictions whenever they get a chance to nitpick at something.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
^this is on point. my favorite music in any genre almost always falls into a similar category: stuff that pushes the envelope, but still works on the dancefloor.
Tunes like Wad/Black Sun/Natty Dub, don't really do either IMO. Most of that stuff just sounds really dull and aimless to me. Even as experimental music I don't find the ideas very interesting at all. A lot of my friends who have good taste in music really love this stuff, but it still just leaves me cold.

You sick shitta.

I don't think one has to be boundary-pushing for the other not to be. In fact, I'd say genres start to hurt themselves when you get an extreme polarization between populist "bangers" and more cerebral "deep" types of sounds. This is when producers start to forget the point. For me, all of the pirate sounds from grime to dubstep to funky are quite consistently innovative, and that's before you begin to hair-split into microgenres based on style. It's hard to remember this when you have been immersed in it all for so long.

So whereas I am one of the aforementioned friends who love that stuff (i.e. funky-ish beats being made by dubstep producers), I don't think it's any more "intelligent" than productions by Lil Silva, Apple, Roska, D Malice, Crazy Cousinz, whatever. It's just a style that works better for me when I jump on the decks.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
love the fact that this thread splits hairs and nitpicks over a genre thats been established to be a joke, it's like funkstep was especially made up to show how predictable the arguments would be if it actually existed.

Tim F

fuck me she said she doesn't like the 100s of skank tracks, photek ? who u tryna kid ? over dramatic and way too fussy really.

Not that I think there's much value in continually repairing misreadings of what I'm saying, but: I was talking about the way in which she's contextualised, not her own copy. Dismissing 90% of funky as crap doesn't bother me assuming she's talking about subpar skank tracks; it's the way in which this position is then contextualised in an article that praises her as part of "the fourth generation" of funky with a sound that's "too musically ambitious" for the scene. This doesn't strike you as reminiscent of how Photek was framed at all?

Also in most ways comparing Cooly G to Photek is a big compliment in my book - this is the guy who made "Consciousness" and "The Rain" and "Relics" after all.

Also "Wad" is IMO a bona fide funky anthem.

There's nothing to stop "Natty Dub" doing likewise, though it's possible that many DJs will just reach for "Klambu" instead.

The Kode9 single doesn't even sound like funky to me; I assume that's deliberate on Kode9's part. And yeah I feel like his (amazing) "Reminiscin" remix fits the vibe much more closely.

The last 5 pages are indicative of how intellectualism quote unquote and concepts if cheese and credibility suck the life out of any scene quick as fuck

Less talk more vibes

Tim F

I will not discuss the issue on here again (at least until the next such article appears I guess). If anyone wants to get in any final shots here's your chance!

mms

sometimes
Not that I think there's much value in continually repairing misreadings of what I'm saying, but: I was talking about the way in which she's contextualised, not her own copy. Dismissing 90% of funky as crap doesn't bother me assuming she's talking about subpar skank tracks; it's the way in which this position is then contextualised in an article that praises her as part of "the fourth generation" of funky with a sound that's "too musically ambitious" for the scene. This doesn't strike you as reminiscent of how Photek was framed at all?

Also in most ways comparing Cooly G to Photek is a big compliment in my book - this is the guy who made "Consciousness" and "The Rain" and "Relics" after all.

Also "Wad" is IMO a bona fide funky anthem.

There's nothing to stop "Natty Dub" doing likewise, though it's possible that many DJs will just reach for "Klambu" instead.

The Kode9 single doesn't even sound like funky to me; I assume that's deliberate on Kode9's part. And yeah I feel like his (amazing) "Reminiscin" remix fits the vibe much more closely.

ok ok but i'd argue she's contextualised more in terms of a young woman who the press would like to be a breakout - played out in the context of the current crop of brit female artists who are in vogue, not in terms of scene but in terms of female performers making pop music. In context dubstep is often set up in opposition to her so dubstep is the male indie and cooly g is the bright tough new female pop alternative. it's a false opposition but also quite hopeful and a massive complement, but too much of a projection of the current vogue in the press desires
here for instance:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/09/eminem-prodigy-lily-allen

it's wrongfooted to say too musically ambitious, thats a meaningless concept, but again you comparing her to photek is loaded with lots of connatations that don't fit.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
rapid has been making some good funky recently, listened to a marcus set the other day & a few of his tunes caught my ear. Niceness.

Oh and what you guys were talking about just now, "Natty Dub" Scratcha's or Cooly's? Either way they are both dut.

benjybars

village elder.
uh.. I don't think I was really "slagging off" those tunes there. I'm not saying that they are bad, just that they don't really do it for me. Is that allowed?

wasn't talking about you in particular.. was just generally coming to the defence of Wad and Black Sun cos they're large like your large intestine..;)

anyway, as slackk says - more vibes.

so. is Natty definitely coming out on Hyperdub then? anyone know what will be the flip??

thc

thc
Could someone help me with a tune ID?
I know this tune is old by now, but I cant remember who it is and it's bugging me.
It has the lyric "I want to be the sunshine when you open your mind's eye."
Anyone know? Thanks