Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah that Funkystepz set from 5th Feb has a lot of good stuff, the 9th of Feb one too. It's a bit exhausting/intimidating though, in terms of just their sheer ammount of new material and keeping tracks of it. If I'm interpreting their guy properly, they seem to making/comissioning a lot of good vocal versions of their beats at the moment. It seems in general that the ratio of good to bad vocal tunes is quite healthy at the moment. This is something I used to moan about sometimes, so it's nice.

Tim F

This time last year I was saying that I felt like there was a bit of a division between the soft, straightforward, housey vocal tracks and the harder, syncopated instrumental tunes. I feel like that gap (if it existed) has closed a lot since then, and the habit of versioning has been a big part of that. There've been lots of vocal versions of really smashing tunes that either presumably or actually started life as instrumentals. Tunes like Enrique Benitez's "Cookin" come to mind here. That sense that anything could become a vocal tune is something I always loved about 2-step (right up to and including the Lorraine Cato vocal mix of "Pulse X").

don_quixote

Trent End
the thing i love about funkystepz is how all over the place they are, they go from almost pure grime, to straight up house, pay their absolute dues to bassline (the drop on touch on me is SO SO FAT) and sometimes even go towards techno territory (by my ears anyway, i would love to track id here, but i can't track id half their stuff).

maxsin said in their interview on the cameo show that he reckons he could carry a 2-3 hour set of pure funkystepz stuff. he's 22 ffs!! and the others are like 18-19!

Tim F

Sadly I suspect their versatility ultimately will trend against them becoming "feted" in any way outside the scene-proper - to get a rep it seems you need to have a production style that is immediately identifiable at ten paces, which producers like Crazy Cousinz, Roska, Ill Blu, Cooly G, Lil' Silva all have.

(nothing wrong with that obv - it's just that not having it will make things harder for Funkystepz I suspect, though they've done the right thing by slathering their tunes with producer signatures - f-f-f-f-f-f-f-funkystepz!)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
This time last year I was saying that I felt like there was a bit of a division between the soft, straightforward, housey vocal tracks and the harder, syncopated instrumental tunes. I feel like that gap (if it existed) has closed a lot since then, and the habit of versioning has been a big part of that. There've been lots of vocal versions of really smashing tunes that either presumably or actually started life as instrumentals. Tunes like Enrique Benitez's "Cookin" come to mind here. That sense that anything could become a vocal tune is something I always loved about 2-step (right up to and including the Lorraine Cato vocal mix of "Pulse X").

Yeah good points, I pretty much agree with this.
Apologies for constantly coming with the questions Tim, but do you have a tracklist for that Ill Blu showcase mix on 1Xtra back last December? I just re-listened to it after having it sitting on the comp for ages and it's excellent, but there's still a few tunes I couldn't even guess the names of.
Oh and nice to see d_q getting involved too.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ok, to keep things moving here's a little list of potentially good shows on Live FM, based either on the bits and pieces that I've heard so far or on the reputation of the DJ/good reports I've heard from others on here, etc:

Tuesday -
Puff E, Midnight - 2, or sometimes later

Wednesday -
Tomo, 12 - 2
Petchy & Dreamz, 6 - 8
Smoove Kriminal/Caliber, 12 - 2

Thursday -
G Smallz, 2 - 4
Dangerous K, 8 - 10
Blue Max, 10 - 12

Friday -
Dubplate Borris, 2 - 4
Tomo, 4 - 6

Saturday -
Reaper, 6 - 8
Petchy, 8 - 10

Sunday-
G Smallz, 6 - 8

Also quite interested to catch Jerry Rankin and Jewlsy as they seem to get constant shout outs from the other guys, but obv can't back their shows without listening to them first. Would be keen to hear from the heads like Slackk and Gumdrops who are more up on the station than me, in terms of good shows I've missed, if ones I've mentioned are actually a bit rubbish, or if I've gotten times wrong (I'm going off the schedule on the site, obvs, but I know these can go out of date quite quickly).
As usual, will cross-post this in the radio thread when I get a spare sec.

Only heard the 2nd half of G Smallz' show last night, but it was excellent, on a similar kind of vibe to Petchy's I guess, but with the MC (Rich Kid?) mostly doing more of a hosting thing rather than full bars.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Yeah good points, I pretty much agree with this.
Apologies for constantly coming with the questions Tim, but do you have a tracklist for that Ill Blu showcase mix on 1Xtra back last December? I just re-listened to it after having it sitting on the comp for ages and it's excellent, but there's still a few tunes I couldn't even guess the names of.
Oh and nice to see d_q getting involved too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pcdc0

not that accurate but its something

Ok, to keep things moving here's a little list of potentially good shows on Live FM, based either on the bits and pieces that I've heard so far or on the reputation of the DJ/good reports I've heard from others on here, etc:

Wednesday -
Tomo, 12 - 2
Petchy & Dreamz, 6 - 8
Smoove Kriminal/Caliber, 12 - 2

Thursday -
G Smallz, 2 - 4
Dangerous K, 8 - 10
Blue Max, 10 - 12

Friday -
Dubplate Borris, 2 - 4
Tomo, 4 - 6

Saturday -
Petchy, 8 - 10

Sunday-
G Smallz, 6 - 8

Also quite interested to catch Jerry Rankin and Jewlsy as they seem to get constant shout outs from the other guys, but obv can't back their shows without listening to them first. Would be keen to hear from the heads like Slackk and Gumdrops who are more up on the station than me, in terms of good shows I've missed, if ones I've mentioned are actually a bit rubbish, or if I've gotten times wrong (I'm going off the schedule on the site, obvs, but I know these can go out of date quite quickly).
As usual, will cross-post this in the radio thread when I get a spare sec.

Only heard the 2nd half of G Smallz' show last night, but it was excellent, on a similar kind of vibe to Petchy's I guess, but with the MC (Rich Kid?) mostly doing more of a hosting thing rather than full bars.

Whoever is on before Petchy on Saturdays is big as well. I can't remember his name.
Puff E on Midnight on tuesdays is fucking disgusting as well, so hype. Sometimes he does 4 hours.

gumdrops

live is just THE funky station really.

g smallz is on tues i think and his show as ive said before is sick. tues nights and thurs nights seem particularly good.

i caught mighty mo (im pretty sure it was him) on there last night actually.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Someone posted a Masters at Work youtube clip (I think in this thread) of a tune that they'd thought was Lil Silva, if anyone knows what it is can they post it again please. I can never get search to find me what I want on Dissensus :slanted:

wise

bare BARE BONES
If it is then it's not on thr original 12" cos i've got that

The Ossie remix is a freebie from his Soundcloud

The Smoove Kriminal/Horace Brown is a freebie too

Great tracks...for free! sometimes life is sooo sweet