having listened back to that march last supper set the one thing (outside of the bleeding obvious) that strikes me is that there hasn’t been a better funky-as-jungle (clattering rolling drums, half step bassline) tune this year than baby face j’s brazilla, has there?
champion lighter / digital dubstar babylon 2012 / (& less so) sunday roast sing time are all pretty much re-do’s, but regardless aren’t anywhere near as good. occurring by sunday roast is more interesting imo in that it kinda starts from scratch (and interestingly – no more or less, mind - updates a more 94into95 techy dillinja/mdz sound). still no match for the above though.
pointers as to any that i’ve missed?

Tim F

I've decided I don't much like Champion's "Lighter" refix, and perhaps have a slight prejudice against most jungle refixes I've decided*, I find them really show-don't-tell. 2-step refixes of jungle and 'ardkore tunes generally worked better because of the utter transformation of vibe, but funky refixes of these tunes end up being so close in vibe to the original (but, well, slower) that it's hard to see the point.

* Not just jungle though, I was underwhelmed by his refix by "Hyperfunk" too. And it's not Champion can't bust out bangers when he has half a mind to.

nah that's good timing slackk
i can appreciate grime vocals on funky fwiw. the stuff that puts me off is the testosterone-esque warping b-line (and not enough else) stuff (screama’s funky gangsta is an example) that initially put me off jungle..
last supper shows are great, broken wings/theme is a big tune, i'm certainly feeling maxwell (selector - picks the best beats) although i'm hoping the bashment/heatwavestuff isn't an opportunity missed..

Benny Bunter

Is it anything to do with their being no vinyl release, not even a white label pressing?

Maybe, but if thats the case then people need to get over the fact that funky is never going to be based around vinyl releases. I think this album/single/whatever is a late, but strong contender for the best release of the year. Whatever, its certainly a landmark release for funky. Just wondered why no one has picked up on it yet, despite these tracks being big on the scene for ages have finally been made available. And I thought the air of mystery around the Devine recordings camp would have been quite attractive to at least some journalists. But no...nothing at all.

I'm not really surprised or annoyed, I'm more bemused by the situation than anything.

continuum

smugpolice
most music journalism is totally dead now just kept going but people who haven't got a clue. forums are the the best place to find out about new music nowadays.

Benny Bunter

most music journalism is totally dead now just kept going but people who haven't got a clue. forums are the the best place to find out about new music nowadays.

thats funny, just after I posted that, the thought of how shite music journalism has become flashed through my mind. Then I read your post!

If it wasn't for Tim Finney there wouldn't be any good writing about funky on the net at all hardly. The 'proper' music journalists are miles behind.

Last edited:

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Could the lack of attention for House Girls be something to do with the fact it's itunes only (for the time being at least). It's not DJ friendly - that's personally why I haven't bought it yet - and that probably won't help, not least because it reduces the chances of it appearing in DJ sets and subsequently sites like Fact or Resident Advisor.

Benny Bunter

Could the lack of attention for House Girls be something to do with the fact it's itunes only (for the time being at least). It's not DJ friendly - that's personally why I haven't bought it yet - and that probably won't help, not least because it reduces the chances of it appearing in DJ sets and subsequently sites like Fact or Resident Advisor.

My copy of House Girls 1 is 15.5MB in size, is that not about right for a 320 at six minutes long? I haven't played it out but it certainly sounds OK to me playing it at home and mixing it with other records. Maybe its just my ears but I can't really tell the difference if it is lower quality.

Benny Bunter

I don't know. Looking at the files now it seems they're all about that size, and quite a few other things I've got off itunes are too, so maybe they do 320s after all?

benw

they do aac 256mb's which are said to be equal in terms of quality to 320 mp3s. so really no way to blame itunes for this.

Webstarr

My copy of House Girls 1 is 15.5MB in size, is that not about right for a 320 at six minutes long? I haven't played it out but it certainly sounds OK to me playing it at home and mixing it with other records. Maybe its just my ears but I can't really tell the difference if it is lower quality.

Right click on the tune then info and it will tell you the bit rate. The tight bastards at apple don't do 320 I believe. Mad One did say its coming on other sites like Juno, not sure when