NKC

was the night at Hidden badly attended then?

the butterz night at Hidden was really badly attended too! completely empty in one of the rooms, not sure why.
the garage one with matt lamont, dj haus, el-b and plenty others the week before was fairly busy though.
shame cuz the lineups have been great.

wise

bare BARE BONES
the butterz night at Hidden was really badly attended too! completely empty in one of the rooms, not sure why.
the garage one with matt lamont, dj haus, el-b and plenty others the week before was fairly busy though.
shame cuz the lineups have been great.

I went to the garage one and it only seemed busy in the room with matt lamont, etc, and the bar, had a peek at blackdown playing in the other room and it was very sparse, shame cos I really like the club

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a great club, isn't it? Aside from the crazy security picture-taking business. I think part of the reason might be cos Vauxhall isn't famous as a club destination except for gay clubs (which themselves only very occasionally have garage/grime/funky stuff going on, more likely to be RnB or house), and another that they don't seem to advertise enough. I guess garage and grime are more busy cos they seem to have done the infrastructure thing better than funky (which obv is much newer, but still...), whereas there was seemingly no funky 'crowd' there, only a few people who were curious.

Funkystepz b2b Fuzzy Logik were playing at the Big Chill Bar FOR FREE the other week. I had no idea. Gonna keep an eye on their website from now on - the music programming seems surprisingly good and I have a soft spot for King's X.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

grimes mistake was being its own genre. if they just said it was grimey rap or grimey hip hop it would have made it harder to get it banned in clubs, cos you cant just ban hip hop. with funky, they cant ban house, so funky will prob be okay. then again, the met might have a list of djs who play at clubs where this kinda thing has happened so who knows.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it would seem quite easy in practice to effectively ban 'black' events of a certain size (while simultaneously pretending that that's not what you're doing), by banning djs as you say, and restricting certain venues from doing 'those kind of' nights.

Side note: the 'no caps, trainers or hoodies' thing on the Colosseum flyer does my head in, I have to say. It doesn't get rid of violence (as is obvious) - all it does is marginalise certain sections of society even further, AND it's coming partly from a place of self-hatred as far as I'm concerned.

As to the Met's take on violence in 'urban' London:
http://www.popcenter.org/library/awards/goldstein/2010/10-16.pdf
Check the report's title...

Last edited:
Yes that NB Funky track was/is massive. What happened to him anyway? There a quite a lot of producers from this era in funky who seem to have just disappeared off the map...Dubplate Wonder, Royal P, Apple, Perempay and Dee, Swift Jay, Scottie D, footsteps...
NB Funky is still playing out (and promoting I think) raves in Birmingham, with the name N.Bsides. I think he plays mostly soulful house and R&B though, and haven't heard a new production by him in ages...
Apple is still doing new tunes with Funky Truce, Eastwood's been playing a few on Deja and they sounded pretty solid.
Swift Jay said a few months ago that he had a batch of new tunes ready to send out to djs, but I haven't heard anything since...
Footsteps makes mostly halfstep beats now afaik, but every once in a while he gives away an old house tune on his soundcloud > http://soundcloud.com/footsteps
Scottie D makes mostly grime I think, but just the same, he gives away some of his funky tunes on soundcloud sometimes: http://soundcloud.com/scottmusik

Benny Bunter

NB Funky is still playing out (and promoting I think) raves in Birmingham, with the name N.Bsides. I think he plays mostly soulful house and R&B though, and haven't heard a new production by him in ages...
Apple is still doing new tunes with Funky Truce, Eastwood's been playing a few on Deja and they sounded pretty solid.
Swift Jay said a few months ago that he had a batch of new tunes ready to send out to djs, but I haven't heard anything since...
Footsteps makes mostly halfstep beats now afaik, but every once in a while he gives away an old house tune on his soundcloud > http://soundcloud.com/footsteps
Scottie D makes mostly grime I think, but just the same, he gives away some of his funky tunes on soundcloud sometimes: http://soundcloud.com/scottmusik

Cheers David.

Was just watching this Scottie D interview/mix the other day . I think he gave those tracks away on his soundcloud because he'd lost the parts for them so they couldn't be mastered properly or something. I think he started out making grime before funky, but the last thing he's upped is a deep house mix though :(

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
This guest mix by Greenmoney on Seb Chew's show is a good listen (about half an hour in). Major notes is on just before them too, the new version of Jungle Book is great.

Yeah this is well worth a listen, I agree with you about the dancehall influence being a plus point of it. The whole show is good actually, Seb Chew plays some nice grime and semi-grime type bits.

wise

bare BARE BONES
DJ EASTWOOD's bday bash tonight @the blag club 222 kensal rd, ladbroke grove w10 5bn
Djs marcus nasty, mighty moe, rakin, Shantie, new winner roadshow, skratchee n Livewire, ill blu n SOS, sb and DJeastwood