rubberdingyrapids

also now i think about it there was a mix of yours on soundcloud zhao that to my surprise had quite a few tracks leaning towards distorted student house too!

zhao

there are no accidents
also now i think about it there was a mix of yours on soundcloud zhao that to my surprise had quite a few tracks leaning towards distorted student house too!

dude! what? which one do you mean broseph?

oh yes at the end of Hard Ass i think there is Buraka S.S. remix of Rusko, fixed with Dj Assault's "Ass n Titties" acccapppellla (can never remember who to fucking spell that)

yeah complaining about the state of 'uk funky' based on a grime release by champion and a bunch of new music from producers who havent really made any funky in years is probably not the brightest idea

denoir

yeah complaining about the state of 'uk funky' based on a grime release by champion and a bunch of new music from producers who havent really made any funky in years is probably not the brightest idea

who IS actually making funky these days though? FS, Champion and Ill Blu are doing their own thing, which can still be classified as funky I guess...but majority of producers seem to be jumping on the bland (tech)house bandwagon incl. Hard House Banton, Dumplin, Greyman, Chang Sam etc. + a few put out uninspired "brunky" :)D) stuff

I can think of just a handful of names who stay true to the original sound - Naughty, Fuzzy Logik, Hagan, 86 Baby, Andy J & S Tee, Major Notes...? Same goes for djs sadly...wouldn't mind if you offered a counter-argument in the form of a fresh funky mix David :)

Could be interesting if funky producers got involved in the afrobeats scene

datwun

I don't know how any of you can parr Crystal Meth, it's a total banger (which the London scene with it's whole 'well produced bass-house' shit is sorely in need of) and it's not 'Bro'ish at all. It's right in all the ways that Night Hunter was right. Funky's doing alright I think. Some of this Afrobeats stuff just IS Funky with Afro sounds (which funky always had anyway?)

I'm definitely more pro funky getting more than less...

EDIT: Forgot all about Beneath, who's probably one of the best producers to come out of Funky in the last three years/is one of the best producers to come out this year in any scene...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Funky is not what it once was, and hasn't been for ages now, lets face it. i would put Funkystepz a country mile ahead of everyone else. How they've managed to keep getting better and better as the scene has died around them is quite amazing really. It helps that they can also do other styles really well too and I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of different stuff from them in the future (can't wait for the Dirty fluxx ep!).

I haven;t been all that impressed by the newer Ill Blu tunes I've heard. Champion is still good but can't say i like Crystal Meth all that much (compared to Sensitivity etc anyway). It's a decent grime tune, but nowt special i'd say.

I wish Fuzzy Logik would put more stuff out, he's definitely one of the best to do it. Devine recordings too...

I need good radio shows to keep my interest in Funky and they seem to have practically disappeared. Marcus Nasty's show is too hit and miss (by far the best recent show i've heard from him was this Jackin one with Shantie ). Every time I've switched on Live FM this year its been nothing but old school garage and fairly dull house - could we now say that Petchy's Last Supper shows were the last truly exciting sounding MC led pirate radio shows? (as in proper edge of your seat hyped-up pirate vibes). None of the other shows on Rinse or Deja I've heard that play funky have come close to those petchy shows or Marcus at his peak.

Beneath just seems boring to me, like old dubstep at a slower tempo - yawn...

I do quite like the sound of that Notion EP, I dig the new Naughty Raver/Natalie May tune 'Sunshine' and I see Andy J and S-Tee's 'Tutti Fruti' has finally come out. But its still not like the old days. Its time to move on I think.

Afrobeats has been an absolute breath of fresh air for me this year (and not just the stuff that sounds like UK Funky either). Someone needs to get DJ Neptizzle a show on Rinse. That would be big.

Last edited:

datwun

Beneath just seems boring to me, like old dubstep at a slower tempo - yawn...

Afrobeats has been an absolute breath of fresh air for me this year (and not just the stuff that sounds like UK Funky either). Someone needs to get DJ Neptizzle a show on Rinse. That would be big.

Nononono! Have you listened to his Blackdown and Fact mixes? When his first 12" came out I wanted to like him more than I did, rating what he was trying to push but not really feeling the tunes themselves. Then I heard this:
http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/beneath.html
And it's one of the best Funky mixes I've ever heard. His fact one more recently is overly large too:
http://www.factmag.com/2012/05/07/fact-mix-328-beneath/

His tunes just sound so good in the mix, all this interlocking percussion, amazing bass weight. It does that amazing funky thing of mixing slinkysexy percussion with really dark bass, and manages to hold your attention with nothing but drums and bass.

Agree re: DJ Neptizzle doe, his last mix was a hellofalot.

Benny Bunter

well I'll give him one more chance and have a listen to one of those, can't imagine it'd change my mind though from what I've heard already (i think i already checked at least one of em already though).

Kind of got burnt out on the really stripped down funky stuff, though it has its place I suppose. I totally don't want funky to sound any more like dubstep in any of that genre's incarnations (though to be honest my interest has dropped off to the point where i don't really care all that much any more tbh). What is beneath doing that guys like LR Groove haven't already done years ago (and arguably done better, and to absolutely ZERO press coverage, let alone critical fanfare)?

I just don't think these purely skeletal roller type tunes are the way forward, especially without MCs/vocals/cheeky samples to give it a bit of energy and flavour.

Last edited:

tom lea

LR is wicked, but i don't think he has his own style the way Beneath has. you know a Beneath tune the instant you hear one, really, and there's not too many people you can say that about. you need to hear his tunes in the mix though, agreed, preferably one of his own mixes. Saw him at the nest the other day after having him on Deja and his set was 90% his own stuff, just sounded amazing on a system.

His tunes just sound so good in the mix, all this interlocking percussion, amazing bass weight.
this, in short

Benny Bunter

I wouldn't expect you to like Beneath Benny, it's not vocally or girly enough. Don't beat yourself up trying to.

ha! So now i'm characterised as the big wuss who only likes girly music with vocals? :confused:

I did actually make two big mixes of instrumental Uk funky bangers fwiw, just not really feeling Beneath is all.

rrrivero

That Beneath showcase is actually not that bad, and I say this as somebody who doesn't usually enjoy his stuff. I guess it's all about the context it's presented in. In the context of carnevalesque hard-hitting carefree funky it's a boring turn of events, but in the context of say techno or more tribal strands of dubstep, it could work really well.

edit: some of the grimier bits (like the tune that drops at 16:54) could work in say a Champion set as well

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

. I guess it's all about the context it's presented in. In the context of carnevalesque hard-hitting carefree funky it's a boring turn of events, but in the context of say techno or more tribal strands of dubstep, it could work really well.

Definitely about the context (thats why I'm mourning the dearth of great radio shows), but I'm more likely to appreciate something like Beneath in the context of a set that mixes the quite diverse strands of funky together and makes them work - hard instros/'girly'vocals/4x4 beats/syncopated beats/OTT dramatic/minimal rollers etc etc, all mixed together.

In a way that was the main reason why I fell for Funky so hard in the first place - the fact you could have all these different tracks playing off each other, without resorting to the dilettante genre-hopping that seems so common nowadays.

Add MCs and a great DJ into the mix and you're vibesin.