Urban handshakes

N

nomadologist

accidentally once when i was drunk to an inappropriate person, and still feel silly about.

i'm sure she understood i wouldn't worry. drunken party fouls are easily forgiven and forgotten, esp when they're not on the part of roofie stacked frat boys

PeteUM

It's all grist
Tiny feeble gesture whereby I slighty raise the hand hanging limply at my side by a few inches, (sort of like a wave without waving), and mumble "Alright?"

Me and my mate used to have this thing where we'd do this inadequate middle-class teen boy version of a Macca/Paul Hardcastle thumbs aloft, which was basically making nervous eye-contact (but not speaking) and allowing the tip of your thum to appear out of your fist at waist height, maybe just in front of one's navel. I mean, we were mucking about, but only just.

straight

wings cru
it doesnt really mater which formation is chosen the whole sorry handshake dance merely serves to show up that I have the palms of a swiss duke rather than a working class irishman

STN

sou'wester
People always comment on my dainty hands and how I've never done a day's work in me bleedin life etc etc.

It makes me feel like a young page boy being ridiculed by a cruel knight.

zhao

there are no accidents
slightly off but related: i really like the german thing of looking in people's eyes when you toast. i don't know why... but it just feels right and proper. and it's always a good idea to know who you are about to get sloshed with innit.

Pestario

tell your friends
I thought that was a pretty universal thing. My friend has this supersitiion that if you don't maintain eye contact you'll be cursed with bad sex.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My hands are of normal size but they must be permanently of below-average temperature because *everyone* comments on how cold they are. As if it's something I should have looked at by a doctor because it means I could drop dead at any time, or something.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought that was a pretty universal thing. My friend has this supersitiion that if you don't maintain eye contact you'll be cursed with bad sex.

I was told that a lack of eye contact during toasting gets you seven years of bad sex, to which my response was "But you are guaranteed seven years?".

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I've heard that eye contact superstition before. While I don't buy it literally, it did make me realise that I'm really bad at maintaining eye contact with people during salutations. I usually break eye contact with people when saying goodbye to them, and I didn't realise how rude it looks until someone did it to me recently. So now I'm making a real effort not to do it. No sex uplift yet unfortunately.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
People who don't look you in the eye when they talk to you drive me mental. I find a lot of rappers and grime MCs do that when being interviewed. They frantically look everywhere except at the person engaging them.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh strange you brits say that 7 years bad sex thing too?!?! you have more in common with the germans than i thought. the rest of europe seems to have never heard of the eye contact thing.

and lighting a ciggy off a candle is "killing sailors" or some such nonsense... you have that too?

ok I'm off with a freshly opened container on the tram. i love europe.

mms

sometimes
People who don't look you in the eye when they talk to you drive me mental. I find a lot of rappers and grime MCs do that when being interviewed. They frantically look everywhere except at the person engaging them.

i can understand as your being asked questions by a complete stranger - it is weird
but people who other wise don't do eye contact at all are usually shifty fuckers with an agenda who can't look you in the eye cos they're fulla that old bullshit.

swears

preppy-kei
I like to think the 9/11 hijackers gave each other a little fist bump in the cockpit and exclaimed something along the lines of "totes rad!" just before they were vapourised in a flaming ball of jet engine fuel.

viktorvaughn

I think theres a bit too much male-to-male intimacy in it for some people?

swears

preppy-kei
I think people who stare right at you the whole time are as annoying as people that don't at all.

There's a balance isn't there?