Yacht-disco thread

zhao

there are no accidents
No way! I was just looking up Mbilia Bel earlier today. Great, great stuff...

pure sweetness and light... a better example of uninhibited and urgent musical celebration of life i can not think of.

this is the kind of thing which cuts through the irony in any crowd like a hot knife in butter, and all the cynicism just evaporates... well of course there will be the hopeless, beyond help cases i suppose.

and there is so much, so much great recordings out there along these lines.

bb_rebozo

.._......
Re: Deodato, I've got something like 7 of his LPs, each about 50c from dodgy Salvation Army op shops or whatever, and have to say they're generally absolutely hideous. Well, he commits a lot of the sins the kind of smooth, jazz-funk end of things gets accused of on a regular basis.
right , generally sucks , but Deodato's Zarathustra-thing is big time , should not have been missed at any yacht freak out .

bb_rebozo

.._......
yacht drone

call me insane , but thin tanned dude Bowie nailed the first yacht blues/yacht disco fusion with "Let’s Dance" . sweaty balls-dirt Hendrix-licks courtesy by Stevie Ray Vaughn doesn’t really fit into slick programmed Nile Rogers-disco , but zowiebowie! , it works .

most probably produced by Quincy Jones and perfectly made for late nite yacht-business : Michael McDonald

Of course Robert Palmer sounds right , looks like young William Shatner in pre-Star Trek days , and definitely goes down yacht .

slye

Allied Heights
yacht drone

call me insane , but thin tanned dude Bowie nailed the first yacht blues/yacht disco fusion with "Let’s Dance" . sweaty balls-dirt Hendrix-licks courtesy by Stevie Ray Vaughn doesn’t really fit into slick programmed Nile Rogers-disco , but zowiebowie! , it works .

Yeah good call. Also the one from Cat People off the same album, and then Stay and Secret Life of Arabia.

most probably produced by Quincy Jones and perfectly made for late nite yacht-business : Michael McDonald

Yeah for sure. Michael McDonald is cool.

craner

Beast of Burden
'Secret Life of Arabia' is not yacht, in the way that 'Road to Hell Parts 1 & 2' is not yacht. No value judgment here, but lets keep the definition clear.

bb_rebozo

.._......
i am a sucker for Herb Alpert’s trumpet in "Rise" , same yacht quality as the sax in "Baker Street" .

Hall & Oates are without any doubt aspirants for the yacht catalogue , but i am not sure which track would fit . "Method of Modern Love" ?

polystyle

Neither is "Stay" from Station To Station deserving of nomination.
Come on , you already have plenty !
:)

Now "Secret Life" - that's a cut well worthy of skipping forever .
Filler, pure and simple.

echevarian

babylon sister
Anyone ever give the Jeff Beck album Flash a listen?

Its produced by Nile Rodgers and Arthur Baker, and Jan Hammer plays on it.

Check for Night After Night, hell the whole album has to be heard to be believed.

Such a bizarre combination of rock royalty and dance royalty.

polystyle

I know everyone hates Secret Life, but I disagree. I think it's a blindingly surreal tronik-disco track... and I play it on my yacht all the time! ;)

Ok , I'll give you 'surreal' re: "Secret Life" and anyway , it's your yacht.
:)

Carlos - Lalo S - he did some great period pieces.